Yellow Fever Shot and Malaria Pills for Panama Canal Cruise

physadv

We are leaving on the Navigator in a couple of weeks and haven't made a decision about the shot and pills for Colombia and Guatemala. I would appreciate your thoughts because it seems that everyone who has been on a similar cruise did not get them for the half day excursions?

We did the cruise in April. It was hot and humid. Never saw a mosquito.

Did a Canal excursion on a small boat in Costa Rica and left the ship in Gatun Lake in the Canal and transferred to an excursion boat to go through the rest of the Canal to the Pacific.

We were completely exposed throughout all of our excursions, and never thought about mosquitoes.

I don't think Yellow Fever would even be a consideration.

When I went to Kenya I did the whole yards of vaccinations and pills. Not either time we've done the Canal.

I would advise pregnant women to check with the CDC, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't worry.....We did the whole Amazon, no malaria shots (yellow fever shots were required). Unless you are spending overnight in the jungle, just coat yourself with DEET . We have done Panama several times.. Never had shots at all, not even yellow fever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the amazon cruise on the Mariner last year and faced the same dilemma. In Canada, our public health clinic (where we go to get the various shots) actually strongly discourages the yellow fever shot. Especially if you have any auto immune problems like Rheumatoid arthritis, Graves, etc etc...I had or have Graves and was advised to use the waver form, which for Canada looks exactly like the immunisation form...You just get your doctor to sign it and it is accepted as an opt out in Brazil. The only country that might give you a bit of a hassle is French Guiana and Devils Island..but even then they did not even look...As fas as malaria pills go, those mosquitos are night biters and with only 1 night excursion into heavy bush ( the spotting of the caymans) it was a major waste of time. My wife took them for the duration..I gave up after 2 days past the Cayman spotting...Oh yes, we did every excursion into the "jungle" and even went off by our own in a couple places ( especially the fake village).. and only saw one mosquito and it was the end of the rainy season.

If you are curious please check out my Facebook page on the amazon cruise, the photos are public, but you can friend me if you like...

https://www.facebook.com/DonCWoodPhotography/photos_albums

or

https://www.facebook.com/DonCWoodPhotography

Look for the albums on life on the amazon , amazon cruise and the Boi-Bumba folk festival..

One post note though..if you or anyone you know is pregnant or going to be...I would avoid any Zika prone areas like Brazil until the pregnancy is over...

We did the amazon cruise on the Mariner last year and faced the same dilemma. In Canada, our public health clinic (where we go to get the various shots) actually strongly discourages the yellow fever shot. Especially if you have any auto immune problems like Rheumatoid arthritis, Graves, etc etc...I had or have Graves and was advised to use the waver form, which for Canada looks exactly like the immunisation form...You just get your doctor to sign it and it is accepted as an opt out in Brazil. The only country that might give you a bit of a hassle is French Guiana and Devils Island..but even then they did not even look...As fas as malaria pills go, those mosquitos are night biters and with only 1 night excursion into heavy bush ( the spotting of the caymans) it was a major waste of time. My wife took them for the duration..I gave up after 2 days past the Cayman spotting...Oh yes, we did every excursion into the "jungle" and even went off by our own in a couple places ( especially the fake village).. and only saw one mosquito and it was the end of the rainy season.

If you are curious please check out my Facebook page on the amazon cruise, the photos are p

ublic, but you can friend me if you like...

or

Look for the albums on life on the amazon , amazon cruise and the Boi-Bumba folk festival..

One post note though..if you or anyone you know is pregnant or going to be...I would avoid any Zika prone areas like Brazil until the pregnancy is over...

In 2015 my DH and I took O's Riviera through the Panama Canal from LA/Miami for 16 days. The line recommended either pills or shots prior to the cruise. We asked our doctor and the practice that deals with international travel. Both suggested the pills because they see occasional cases of malaria. We got them and used them for a day or two. When we never even saw any mosquitoes, we stopped. No problem. We live ion South Beach where there are is a high number of travelers from areas where malaria happens. Physicians here respond to what they experience. It was a wonderful trip.

Mary

I've not heard of a yellow fever vaccination being advisory for a Panama Canal cruise, but earlier this year there was some concern about the need for malaria prophylaxis on the day we boarded Explorer in LA to sail to Miami through the canal (with stops in Colombia, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Mexico). Until that time, we had no worries at all: we had checked with our Doctor who felt there was no need for anti-malaria medication, so had packed our usual "serious" anti-bug stuff (DEET rather than Avon Skin so Soft!) and nothing else. But a few days before boarding, Regent had contacted their customers in the USA to advise of the need for more effective prophylaxis and many of those we met were taking the advice seriously - which we would have done as well, had we and anyone else from beyond the USA received the same advisory. In the event, I don't think we saw a mosquito and neither of us was bitten at all, possibly because we slathered ourselves in DEET :eek:

I share this experience to highlight the need to do your homework and take advice which is specific to you and your situation rather than relying on others, particularly Regent, who might not offer consistent advice! Some of the drugs are unpleasant to take (ok, better than catching malaria, I'm sure, but nevertheless, can spoil what should be a great time) and I wouldn't want to take anything unnecessarily. Having said that, neither do I want to put myself at risk for the sake of taking a course of pills or being extra-vigilant with the (horrible) DEET. Ultimately, only you can judge if taking a two week course of anti-malarials for not much more than an afternoon out is a sensible precaution or a little OTT. I consider myself sensible and yet have gone on a Regent excursion with an umbrella when someone else has worn head-to-toe yellow oilskin slickers. We make our choices!! :cool:

If you are curious please check out my Facebook page on the amazon cruise, the photos are public, but you can friend me if you like...

or

We also cannot take the Yellow Fever inoculation and have never worried about it (certainly not when we went through the Panama Canal). Our physician's waiver has never been looked at. We have had horrendous experiences with the Malaria pills and would never take them again. We are going to the Amazon and will wear protective clothing and other remedies when we go ashore (i.e. into the jungle). IMO, it is much easier to take precautions than risk the immunizations and/or pills.

Regent must have new information. Their recommendation states "Yellow Fever Inoculation and Malaria Prophylaxis are strongly recommended for guests visiting Colombia and Guatemala."

We'll be on that cruise soon-however I think one should listen to their Doctor and what your needs happen to be. We've don't this cruise before (2times) and we were OK without the meds. Still before we go again we'll have a talk with our Doctor.

Rick

We just did the Canal in December. We have had Yellow Fever shots in the past. Did not hear about them being recommended for this cruise. Never saw one mosquito. As far as the Malaria pills...these are a killer. I took them for Africa and had a horrible reaction.

I would not do either. We never saw even one mosquito as I said.

We are taking the 18 day Canal cruise on 7/20 from SF to Mia. Regarding Malaria and Yellow fever shots I checked with our TA who checked with Regent who then told us to check with my doctor. Our doctor said she did's see the shots as necessary. (I'm 72 and my wife is 66). Nevertheless I decided to take Malaria pills, DEET, and a few long sleeve shirts. I'm not worried at all on this cruise.

I share this experience to highlight the need to do your homework and take advice which is specific to you and your situation rather than relying on others, particularly Regent, who might not offer consistent advice! Some of the drugs are unpleasant to take (ok, better than catching malaria, I'm sure, but nevertheless, can spoil what should be a great time) and I wouldn't want to take anything unnecessarily. Having said that, neither do I want to put myself at risk for the sake of taking a course of pills or being extra-vigilant with the (horrible) DEET. Ultimately, only you can judge if taking a two week course of anti-malarials for not much more than an afternoon out is a sensible precaution or a little OTT.

Excellent, well balanced, post.

What Regent advise and the information provided by other well-meaning posters on this Board should be treated purely as guidance and background information.

It is the responsibility of each passenger to seek professional medical opinion and to make their own informed decisions as to what precautions to take.

Interesting thread...thank you for the comments. We are on the Navgator Panama Canal cruise in November and our TA acted as though we are required to have a yellow fever vaccine with some proof thereof. Sounds like this is incorrect information...yes?

I'm not certain that either my TA or Regent have the "right" information. In fact even my internist who I trust implicitly said that at my age (72) there are pros and cons for any vaccinations and as far as my Panama Canal is concerned, it is up to me. In other words, as many posters have already said, it's up to the passenger to become informed and then to make their own personal decision. I'm just looking forward to the cruise and if anything or anyone bites me I intend to bite it/them back. :) Look forward to meeting all of you!!!

We are leaving on the Navigator in a couple of weeks and haven't made a decision about the shot and pills for Colombia and Guatemala. I would appreciate your thoughts because it seems that everyone who has been on a similar cruise did not get them for the half day excursions?

We didn't get any on our previous Canal cruises but the ship recommends the malaria pills for this one so we got them, and the travel nurse said to get typhoid and hepatitis too based on the itinerary, but advised against yellow fever for anyone over age 65, saying the side effects were as bad as the disease. It may be unnecessary but I feel safer.

I'm not certain that either my TA or Regent have the "right" information. In fact even my internist who I trust implicitly said that at my age (72) there are pros and cons for any vaccinations and as far as my Panama Canal is concerned, it is up to me. In other words, as many posters have already said, it's up to the passenger to become informed and then to make their own personal decision. I'm just looking forward to the cruise and if anything or anyone bites me I intend to bite it/them back. :) Look forward to meeting all of you!!!

Ever since I had chemotherapy a few years ago, mosquitoes love me.

We are taking the 18 day Canal cruise on 7/20 from SF to Mia. Regarding Malaria and Yellow fever shots I checked with our TA who checked with Regent who then told us to check with my doctor. Our doctor said she did's see the shots as necessary. (I'm 72 and my wife is 66). Nevertheless I decided to take Malaria pills, DEET, and a few long sleeve shirts. I'm not worried at all on this cruise.

You are in the cruise just after ours.

We didn't get any on our previous Canal cruises but the ship recommends the malaria pills for this one so we got them, and the travel nurse said to get typhoid and hepatitis too based on the itinerary, but advised against yellow fever for anyone over age 65, saying the side effects were as bad as the disease. It may be unnecessary but I feel safer.

When you say ship I assume you mean Regent. Did they send you something or did they tell you this in a phone conversation?

To be honest, even though we respect nurses, unless they had our medical history in front of them, I would not give much credence to their recommendation. Also, I cannot imagine, under any circumstances, needing typhoid, hepatitis (unless you are not up to date with your shots which most of us are), yellow fever immunizations or malaria pills for a Panama Canal cruise. Note: I pay attention to what is recommended by my own physician and for people in the U.S. rather than what may be recommended elsewhere in the world. Keep in mind that countries outside of the U.S. (even Canada) have recommendations that we do not have in the U.S. This could be because they have access to medications that may not be approved by the FDA. Because of this, I feel that keeping U.S. regulations separate from regulations in other countries. Also, I suspect that Regent recommendations are also based on what is approved in the U.S.

We have done Panama Canal (two of them complete crossings) and did an extensive interior tour and have never gotten any shots or used extra medications. No problems. Use your own judgement and consult your doctor.