Pot of coffee from the International Cafe?

LSUGranny

Order room service for a pot of coffee. I go to the International Cafe every morning when cruising and have never seen any passengers leaving with a pot of coffee and mugs. Just the paper "to go" cups and lids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although they may have provided it to some cruisers in the past I seriously doubt if they will continue this practice. They're not set up for that sort of service. They only make 1 regular pot of coffee at a time & would only slow down the whole IC if it became a norm.

We are buying coffee cards so that won't be a problem. I may just order a pot of coffee after we board and keep the pot and mugs. Then I could go to the IC with the pot early the next morning and see if I can talk the staff into a pot of coffee. If not, I'll just get two cups to go. I may try to pack our thermal cups too, depending on space.

We are buying coffee cards so that won't be a problem. I may just order a pot of coffee after we board and keep the pot and mugs. Then I could go to the IC with the pot early the next morning and see if I can talk the staff into a pot of coffee. If not, I'll just get two cups to go. I may try to pack our thermal cups too, depending on space.

I really don't know how many cups there are per pot- never measured, but you could always pour their large cups into the pot.

It seems like a lot of effort to wash out the pot every day. It's just as easy to order a fresh pot from room service.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a notice in Patters that after the buffet closes at night coffee is available at IC. I'm not sure if it's from the coffee bar or IC itself. I don't know if it's the brewed coffee that you need the coffee card to get, or if they bring in urns.

That's pretty funny since the tap water in your cabin is likely more "pure" than what you are getting in the bottle. Most bottled water comes directly from a city water supply. "Oh waiter, I'd like a glass of that premium Fresno, CA water please!"

The fresh brewed coffee in IC tends to be head and shoulders above what is served free in other venues. Having said that, I have had some good cups of coffee in MDR. It depends on who made the stuff from syrup, how long it has been sitting around, etc.

I like the taste of Evian and then we use the empty bottles to get juice and other cold (included) beverages for the room. It works for us. I'm aware that the tap water is potable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like the taste of Evian and then we use the empty bottles to get juice and other cold (included) beverages for the room. It works for us. I'm aware that the tap water is potable.

I respect that some passengers prefer bottled water and I found this discussion about shipboard water to be very informative. In particular the posts by a career ship chief engineer (chengkp75) who has worked on cruise ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2503781

I think it depends on the ship. On the regal princess (and probably royal too), they have fresh brewed coffee in HC. The stuff they bring in room service tastes the same, so it's probably fresh brewed too. I drink Peet's major dickasons at home and it wasn't that, but still pretty good:)

I drink Peet's Major Dickasons at home too. We had all inclusive beverage package on our first princess cruise in April and I had coffee drinks from IC, Sabatinis, and room service. I really had no complaints. I was pleasantly surprised because I really enjoy my coffee!

I drink Peet's Major Dickasons at home too. We had all inclusive beverage package on our first princess cruise in April and I had coffee drinks from IC, Sabatinis, and room service. I really had no complaints. I was pleasantly surprised because I really enjoy my coffee!

:) I can tell by your forum name that you really enjoy your coffee. I bet you you buy the whole beans like I do and grind your own. I've got a saeco that I spent a grand on many years ago that does it all. It broke and while it was being repaired I decided to go vintage and tried the Peet's in a Pyrex perculator from the '50's or '60s and now I'm

Hooked. The percolator brings out a flavor And richness I've never had:) no going back now. A quick question for you, did you really notice any difference between the black coffee from the IC and what was in HC or room service?

To me they were about the same except for the cup size. Only used my coffee card once for coffee and and about 5 times for gelato's and have over half my card for our next cruise coming from up:)

Edited by Optotronics
Added content

Although they may have provided it to some cruisers in the past I seriously doubt if they will continue this practice. They're not set up for that sort of service. They only make 1 regular pot of coffee at a time & would only slow down the whole IC if it became a norm.

I saw a woman (in a bathrobe) come to the international cafe on emerald, and

demand that they fill a room service pot with fresh brewed coffee.

(she had thoughtfully brought the pot with her)

I thought this was a little rude (especially the robe)...

But people here like to write in their special orders on the breakfast hang tags,

so what's the difference?

The iced tea tastes bad to me on all cruise lines. I think it's either syrup or powder. I usually cup-brew tea and pour it over ice. I never considered that the coffee might be made that way! Noooo!!! So I googled it. You are right. The two classifications old coffee on board are complementary and brewed premium. The complementary is made from a syrup concentrate. I may have to re-think my coffee choices on ships.

I saw a woman (in a bathrobe) come to the international cafe on emerald, and

demand that they fill a room service pot with fresh brewed coffee.

(she had thoughtfully brought the pot with her)

I thought this was a little rude (especially the robe)...

But people here like to write in their special orders on the breakfast hang tags,

so what's the difference?

The difference being that the IC is not set up to provide pots of coffee for everyone. If dozens of people did this the line at the iC would be super long & service would suffer even more.

I suppose they wanted to get rid of her & filled her pot just to see her leave. Most of the guys I know would have politely told her to call room service.

The difference being that the IC is not set up to provide pots of coffee for everyone. If dozens of people did this the line at the iC would be super long & service would suffer even more.

I suppose they wanted to get rid of her & filled her pot just to see her leave. Most of the guys I know would have politely told her to call room service.

I agree...another example of the how sometimes squeaky wheels get the grease just to get rid of them. :rolleyes:

Based on posts in this thread anyone who gets a pot or carafe of brewed coffee from the IC got lucky but as routinely happens someone will post that is the correct procedure. A coffee card purchased on the cruise allows one passenger free brewed coffee during the cruise but it was never intended to include coffee by the pot.

I'm happy that Princess allows crew some discretion to handle situations the best way possible. However when they generously provide something that's not deserved that doesn't mean that anyone else will receive it. Then when passengers read online about what someone else received they demand the same treatment & create a ruckus if not getting treated the same way despite not being entitled to it.

If a crewmember goes out of their way to help me, I'm not posting that information so other passengers feel that is Princess policy. And if any crewmember generously provides me with anything special that's between them & me

Based on posts in this thread anyone who gets a pot or carafe of brewed coffee from the IC got lucky but as routinely happens someone will post that is the correct procedure. A coffee card purchased on the cruise allows one passenger free brewed coffee during the cruise but it was never intended to include coffee by the pot.

I'm happy that Princess allows crew some discretion to handle situations the best way possible. However when they generously provide something that's not deserved that doesn't mean that anyone else will receive it. Then when passengers read online about what someone else received they demand the same treatment & create a ruckus if not getting treated the same way despite not being entitled to it.

If a crewmember goes out of their way to help me, I'm not posting that information so other passengers feel that is Princess policy. And if any crewmember generously provides me with anything special that's between them & me

I still think there should be a perimeter/invisible fence alarm built into the collar on those robes. :rolleyes:

Room service is not set up to provide special orders for everyone.

If dozens of people did this, the wait time for room service would be super long,

and service would suffer even more.

I don't see the difference. Selfish behaviour benefits the few at the expense of the many.

Now I'm wondering if the coffee from room service is made from syrup. That tidbit of info has me rethinking ship coffee. It might be premium for me from now on. I thought about the French press idea, but they never put bags in the trash cans.

Now I'm wondering if the coffee from room service is made from syrup. That tidbit of info has me rethinking ship coffee. It might be premium for me from now on. I thought about the French press idea, but they never put bags in the trash cans.

All free coffee including room service is made from concentrate except for fee based brewed coffee at all ICs and from the free filtered coffee machines that use ground coffee on the Royal-class ships including at the buffet. I would think that on Royal-class ships the room service coffee would be filtered made with ground coffee but not positive if that's true.

Some passengers bring packets of Starbucks VIA to enhance the flavor of coffee from concentrate.

Taste is subjective & for coffee it's even more subjective. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

By 'Royal Class', do you mean Princess? My next two cruises are Radiance of the Seas and Celebrity Infinity. Starting to think about coffee packages.

Since this is a Princess forum it's hard to see where the confusion comes into play. Royal Class ships means Royal Princess, Regal Princess, and Majestic Princess. So far, those are the only ships in that class.