Rome and Venice questions...need some suggestions

SF

We are thinking of taking a cruise that will start and end in Rome. We are presently looking at different flights but all of them will arrive approximately between 9 and 10 a.m. We are going to book a private driver to pick us up at the airport. We have been to Rome before as it was one of the ports on a different cruise but this will be the first time for the other person accompanying us. We are looking into having the driver give us either a 4 or 5 hour tour prior to taking us to our hotel. The question is we're not sure whether we should pick a hotel in Rome or have the driver drop us off at a hotel in Citivecchia. The reason we're considering staying in Citivecchia is that by the time we're dropped off we will probably be tired after the flight and tour and not spend any more time touring Rome. Do you think staying in Citivecchia is a good idea?

When we return from the cruise we'd like to go to Venice. We are trying to decide if we want to have a private driver pick us up and take us to the train station in Rome or if we should rent a car and drive. I think I read that it's about a five and a half hour drive and we would plan to stop somewhere for lunch and a little touring along the way. We were wondering how hard or easy it is to drive in Italy on this route and is it scenic? We will have three big suitcases and a few carry-ons so wondering if the car rental places will have a car that will accommodate that. I read the train is very nice so we're not sure which one to do. Any suggestions where to stop or which form of transportation we should consider would be greatly appreciated.

Just my opinion, but i would never recommend your precruise plan! After a red eye, a tour of Rome, and doubling back to Civitavecchia before embarking the next day? Whew! Why not save Rome for when you disembark? Take a car service to Rome with all your luggage and enjoy a proper leisurely tour (I always use All Around Italy) and stay in a hotel or apt for a day or two. On my cruise this spring I recruited people from my roll call and Fabrizio took us to Civita Bagnoregio and Orvieto before delivering us to our various accommodations in Rome. It made disembarkation day enjoyable and effortless. It is then very easy to travel from Rome to Venice by train.

Just my opinion, but i would never recommend your precruise plan! After a red eye, a tour of Rome, and doubling back to Civitavecchia before embarking the next day? Whew! Why not save Rome for when you disembark? Take a car service to Rome with all your luggage and enjoy a proper leisurely tour (I always use All Around Italy) and stay in a hotel or apt for a day or two. On my cruise this spring I recruited people from my roll call and Fabrizio took us to Civita Bagnoregio and Orvieto before delivering us to our various accommodations in Rome. It made disembarkation day enjoyable and effortless. It is then very easy to travel from Rome to Venice by train.

Like I mentioned before we've been to Rome before and have seen the sights you've mentioned Civita

Bagnoregio and Orvieto. The other person accompanying us this time doesn't have as much time as we do so they either see Rome when we arrive or they don't get to see it at all because we are leaving the day we disembark for Venice. As for when we arrive, yes it's a full day after a long flight and not the perfect way to tour but we've done it before. Hopefully they'll be happy with seeing some of the main sights and it will inspire them to come back again.

To SF:

I think your plan to give your newbie friend the opportunity to see Rome's highlight via a private tour is sweet! I also endorse your spending that night in Civi so that you will have a leisurely morning before boarding your ship.

As far as Venice, have you looked into flying there? Flights are cheap! Renting a car would work from FCO to the outskirts of Venice but if you want to wander by not taking the motorways it would make for a much longer journey.

Personally I'd opt for getting the hotel in Rome and having the driver take you to the port the next day. If your friend has never been to Rome, she (or he) could spend extra time if she has the energy after doing that private tour. Even spending the evening out at a cafe on a piazza could be a special experience for her in Rome. You could just retire to the hotel when you wanted. If you went to Civi, she would miss out on any possibility of an extra Roman experience outside of being driven around in a car.

So many good suggestions.:)

Yes, we thought about flying but the only airline that's really reasonable would be Alitalia and from what I've read with their bankruptcy problems not so sure we want to take a chance on that. We looked into taking the train from Rome but we do not want to take the train from Citivecchia. That would mean another private transfer which would add to the cost. I looked at the train schedule and from what I gather as it's too early to actually pick our dates if you choose a seat the cost can go up to around 76 euros unless I wasn't doing it correctly. So we figured by the time we would do that and the transfer it's probably either better for the three of us to either rent a car or find a private driver and see if somebody else needs to get to Venice also. I know a private driver to Venice is expensive but if we could find another couple to help with the cost and we get to stop along the way at two extra places it maybe worth it.

I would stay in Rome, I don't think a quick drive by in a car (even a five hour one) after a long flight is a great way to ingratiate anyone to anyplace.

It's easier for the human body to adjust to the time change in daylight and fresh air. I would opt for a hotel in the city and a car service to take you there from the airport, then another the next day to take you to Civitavecchia. You don't need to be there until afternoon, so your friend could have several lovely morning hours in Rome. If the driving around tour is a must for you, do it in the morning before leaving for Civitavecchia.

Arrival day could then be a quick shower at the hotel followed by a leisurely stroll to some of the city's highlights, but not necessarily touring them. The Trevi fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona are all fairly close to one another and an easy walk (with many options for coffee or gelato along the way).

By the way, Trenitalia sells tickets about four months in advance. The numbers you are quoting sound fishy.

By the way, Trenitalia sells tickets about four months in advance. The numbers you are quoting sound fishy.

I went to the Trenitalia website and put a day in for September and that's what came up for reserved seats. If we do the train we all want reserved seats together. You say that sounds fishy so maybe if you could try it and post what you get for reserve seats and a link to it that would be appreciated. I've read people get train tickets for around 29 euros but I'm not sure if that's reserved seats.

Count me as another that would vote to spend the night in Rome.

Take a taxi to your hotel and drop your bags, then explore Rome. Since you've been before it shouldn't be too hard to get your bearings. Tickets can be arranged in advance for whatever highlights you think your friend is most interested in. Taxis can get you around if needed; three fit easily in one car.

The following morning you can easily get another 3-4 hours of sightseeing in Rome in hand before going to the port. With three people, here's where I'd splurge for a private transfer, which allows you to maximize your time in Rome without worrying about the train schedule.

It just dawned on me that you meant train tickets from Civitavecchia to Venice (we need that little emoji with the guy slapping himself upside the head).

I'm seeing Super Economy tickets for just under €60 per person, that's the lowest regular fare. There might be a special deal but in general that's as low as it's going to go (€50 is from Rome to Venice, €10 from Civitavecchia to Rome).

Italotreno also goes from Termini to Venice and their best rate is about €10 less or €40. You'd still need to use Trenitalia to get from Civitavecchia to Rome. Italotreno can be booked now for September. Trenitalia can be booked in early September and the rest of the month will be available over the next few weeks.

It's probably going to cost upwards of $1000 for a private driver from Civitavecchia to Venice.

The fast trains are very nice. If you want to do the easiest but still reasonable thing, arrange for private transportation from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini, and take one of the Frecce trains to Venice. Rome to Venice on the Frecciargento is just under 4 hours.

Driving a minimum 5.5 hours to Venice doesn't allow for a lot of stop time if you want to arrive there, dispose of your car, get transportation to your hotel, etc. before it's too dark.

Plus, I'd worry about leaving luggage in a vehicle enroute while you go off and sightsee. Thefts of luggage from rental cars is somewhat common.

Time to take a deep breath and except some realities of geography. Regarding taking internal flights in Italy such as from FCO to Venice, we are not fans. If you are staying in Rome, you would need to factor in the time (and cost) to get out to FCO, plus you would need to be at the airport at least 1 1/2 hours prior to your flight. Many internal flights run a little late so that can add to time. And once at Venice, you have to wait 30-45 min to get your luggage and then get into town. The reality is that taking the train is likely just as fast and more convenient.

As to driving, we have done the route several times (between both Rome and Civitavecchia and Venice) and it is a long day. We often prefer to drive our own rental car because it makes handling our luggage pretty easy and we enjoy stopping at various places around Italy (we have driven far more then 10,000 miles within Italy). So while a rental car is a decent option, not everyone is comfy driving in Italy ...or handling a stick shift (which is very common in Italy). Hiring a private car and driver to get you from Rome or Civitavecchia to Venice is not cost efficient. Keep in mind that for cost purposes the driver has to factor in the round trip time and mileage

As to the route, I would not call it overly scenic as most of your drive would be on main highways (autostrade), These are like interstate highways in the US. And since the Italians are using more and more speed cameras (especially along the major routes) one can no longer speed. The big advantage to driving comes when you have several days to stop along the route. .

If you really want to visit Venice after your cruise...and can spend a few extra days then it can be a fun trip. But done in 1 or 2 days does not make a lot of sense.

Hank

Carolyn - how do my GF and I get hold of Frabrizio?! We are going in September

• 2 weeks later...
Time to take a deep breath and except some realities of geography. Regarding taking internal flights in Italy such as from FCO to Venice, we are not fans. If you are staying in Rome, you would need to factor in the time (and cost) to get out to FCO, plus you would need to be at the airport at least 1 1/2 hours prior to your flight. Many internal flights run a little late so that can add to time. And once at Venice, you have to wait 30-45 min to get your luggage and then get into town. The reality is that taking the train is likely just as fast and more convenient.

As to driving, we have done the route several times (between both Rome and Civitavecchia and Venice) and it is a long day. We often prefer to drive our own rental car because it makes handling our luggage pretty easy and we enjoy stopping at various places around Italy (we have driven far more then 10,000 miles within Italy). So while a rental car is a decent option, not everyone is comfy driving in Italy ...or handling a stick shift (which is very common in Italy). Hiring a private car and driver to get you from Rome or Civitavecchia to Venice is not cost efficient. Keep in mind that for cost purposes the driver has to factor in the round trip time and mileage

As to the route, I would not call it overly scenic as most of your drive would be on main highways (autostrade), These are like interstate highways in the US. And since the Italians are using more and more speed cameras (especially along the major routes) one can no longer speed. The big advantage to driving comes when you have several days to stop along the route. .

If you really want to visit Venice after your cruise...and can spend a few extra days then it can be a fun trip. But done in 1 or 2 days does not make a lot of sense.

Hank

Hi Hank,

We have had a guide for Salerno: Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano the last 2 times on our cruise. Do you suggest a guide again or what do you think about renting a car? Is parking an issue? We will port in Salerno, there are 4 adults and 1 child.

Thanks for any help

Trish

Hi Hank,

We have had a guide for Salerno: Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano the last 2 times on our cruise. Do you suggest a guide again or what do you think about renting a car? Is parking an issue? We will port in Salerno, there are 4 adults and 1 child.

Thanks for any help

Trish

Sorry I just realized this was so off topic for this thread. My apologies.

I would get a driver from the port to pick you up and do as you say, a private tour for 4-5 hours and then take you right to a hotel in Rome. I can recommend Joe Banana Limos. They are very good and well respected on cruise critic.

Then I would get a train from Rome to Venice. I would not hire a driver as the cost would be too much and it is very easy to take the train. Just beware of your belongings at all times.

I stayed at Hotel Santa Maria in Rome (Travestere area) very nice. Or there a lot of reasonable airbnb's too.

I would stay the nigth in Rome and you can get to Civitavecchia in the morning by train. You go to Termini train station, one way costs 5 euros and the trip lasts 1h15 min. From the train station in Civi, you have a shuttle that bring you to the cruise bus terminal for 2 euros. It is very well organized.

Have your driver pick you at the airport and drop you at your Rome hotel. Relax regroup and then about 5pm walk around and enjoy a great dinner and stroll the piazza navona the pantheon area maybe the trevi Have great wine with dinner. Stay in the central historic area.

the next day hire a private driver from as early as possible to as late as possible for embark

It will cost you of course but trust me with a private driver you will get to see loads of stuff

They stop on side streets and let you out to explore

You could easily see the foroum from above the colesieum from outside the Spanish steps the trevi the piazza del popolo and more than likely an interior visit to St. Peter's. Just start out early

With a driver you get to other places too....the keyhole...palatine hill...St Peters in Chains for the Moses statue perhaps a ride on the Appia Antica

Of course you could try to do Day 2 on a modified diy basis but imho a private driver for the day is money very well spent that will give your friend a great overview of Rome

This assumes of course that you ship embarkation is very late in the day or early evening

Sent from my iPad using Forums