Is formal FORMAL...or just formal?

cowboygene

Yes, you'll be more than fine. They absolutely are strict about wearing pants though. It doesn't matter what kind of pants. One guy had on a t shirt from the 1990s (I know because it was dated from some bike week he went to) and a pair of Ruster jeans and he went in with no problem. I saw another guy in golf shorts with a Nike polo tucked in and he was told to go change.

Booking our first MSC cruise and I read that the formal night is dark suits or tuxedos for men.

Is this the norm?...or can you wear a sport coat, slacks and a tie?

Thanks

You can wear what you want.

The formal gala nights are one of the best parts of cruising in my opinion. Gives you a date night that is extra special. However, it is quite a bummer to be dressed formal and then have a family in flip flops and t shirts seated at your table, ruins your pictures and takes away from the enjoyment of Formal Gala nights. Embrace it, get dolled up or handsome whichever, and have a night out on the "town". If you don't want to dress appropriately, remember, you can always eat at the buffet or get room service!

I have to respectfully disagree about the enjoyment of the formal nights. I will probably just eat at the buffet in the future. We dress up often for our jobs and it's no big deal to us. The packing for the plane was terrible with extra clothes. Like you mentioned, there was a guy seated right next to us in jeans and an old t shirt. The food wasn't special that night and many dishes were the same as the buffet. It's very hard for 4 people to get ready for a formal night in a cabin with considerably less space than our home where everyone has their own bathroom. We did get some nice pictures of the family. All in all, not worth in our opinion.

Never understood the obsession about how others dress.

Anyway, shirt and slacks were fine on formal nights. I had no issues at all. Didn't see anyone in flip flops in the MDR, ever! If you want to dress more formally, have at it. No one will stop you.

The formal gala nights are one of the best parts of cruising in my opinion. Gives you a date night that is extra special. However, it is quite a bummer to be dressed formal and then have a family in flip flops and t shirts seated at your table, ruins your pictures and takes away from the enjoyment of Formal Gala nights. Embrace it, get dolled up or handsome whichever, and have a night out on the "town". If you don't want to dress appropriately, remember, you can always eat at the buffet or get room service!

I agree with your take on it. I wear a suite everyday to work, but my wife and I still enjoy getting G'd up for formal night in a tux and nice evening dress. I'm wearing a white dinner jacket this year - makes for some great pictures and memories.

I agree with your take on it. I wear a suite everyday to work, but my wife and I still enjoy getting G'd up for formal night in a tux and nice evening dress. I'm wearing a white dinner jacket this year - makes for some great pictures and memories.

I love the look of a white dinner jacket - makes a nice change from black and really stands out!

Gala/formal nights create a wonderful buzz on the ship - make the most of them now as they'll be a thing of the past in the not too-distant future - especially with this upcoming generation who often just about look washed!

Formal nights onboard ship are a time honored tradition and bravo to those who make the effort. I agree with Bea and Max...whenever I see the bulk of the pax all dressed up it creates a buzz and a refined atmosphere. If you don't feel up to it then there are many other venues available. You don't have to march into the MDR dressed in your jeans and t-shirts to make your statement of protest and I have never understood the people who do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/url

Just because my husband and I don't want to lug the formal clothes with us on a cruise (we have plenty of occasions at home to get "gussied up), doesn't mean I should be relegated to eat at the buffet. I will be dressed in slacks and nice blouse and my husband will be in khakis and polo type shirt and we will be dining in LeMuse on the Divina in October. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but "formal" is only suggested.

Edited by rojoand8

Hi Rojo,

I seriously doubt that you will offend anyone in Le Muse by dressing neatly on a formal night. It is the total grunge look with old tshirts, grungy jeans and flip flops, etc. that is sadly lacking in any upscale social setting. The formal dress debate has raged on for years now...but there will always be some of us who seek to elevate the cruise experience in the traditional manner. As long as the crew onboard is willing to put on formal nights and dress accordingly then we will rise to the occasion. :)

I agree with your opinion too. Our vacations are just that - a vacation! And nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable about any of this stuff. As long as we are all having fun, enjoying the moment, and making the most of the money we've invested to generate the memories that will live with us for the rest of our lives, who cares?! Everybody have a great time! My wife is going to be so lovely in her evening gown that I probably will not see anybody else anyway.

I enjoy the opportunity to wear my tux more than once a year - normally I only wear it to see the Nutcracker during the holidays. So on those years we cruise the Caribbean and I get an opportunity to jazz it up with a white dinner jacket, I take the opportunity to do so. But, that's just me.

I believe everyone has an opinion as long it doesn't effect me, I'm good. Basically, if I didn't have to put up with the complaining from my husband, I'd be lugging the formal clothes too since we don't have to pay for the extra baggage on the airplane. Everyone, enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cruise lines no longer make any effort on formal night. It's just for photo sales.

I beg to differ. MSC does make an effort on Gala nights. There's free pre-dinner cocktails, to start. The menu is always an enhanced one and the crew are dressed very formally. In the atrium, there's always a trio playing beautiful classical music and the buzz around that area is electric on these nights with many people dressed up. It's the one night when you really get a sense of how many are onboard and it's an extremely busy night. That has been my experience in 15 cruises on MSC.

:cool: I agree. To each their own.

As we have been regulars on NCL and always stay within the Haven in Courtyard Penthouse suites, we dress smart casual . We have booked our first MSC cruise ( May 2018) in the Yacht Club on the Seaside. May bring a sport coat . My tux and white dinner jacket have been hanging in the closet for years.

We also cruise a lot with NCL in the Haven but also cruise a lot with MSC in suites or these days in the YC. I like both ways of cruising but I think it is great to be able to 'dress-up'. What I dislike is to see the lady of the couple dressed up really nicely and has really made an effort and the gentleman has barely washed or changed his tee shirt or flip-flops.

Living in rural Minnesota, I go to weddings all the time where I'm wearing a suit and my wife a formal dress when many others are wearing jeans and polos or t-shirts, etc. Never let it bother me. What bugs me more is when people have poor hygiene. The look and smell and the lack of respect they have for themselves in those instances. Have worked hard to instill in kids that the way you dress and take care of yourself makes an impression and can influence your future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Formal or gala nights have always be part of the cruising vacation package. Many of us don't get to get dressed up at home and that is one reason we cruise. There are some lines like Carnival that have become more casual in dress but that is the market they have chosen.

My suggestion is that is you do not want a formal experience use a line that is not or chose a different vacation. I go to Hawaii about every other year and never take a suit. After 15 going on 16 cruises I love the formality of those lines that enforce it. I have been cruising since the late 90'sd when it was strictly enforced.

We dined in LeMuse from the YC every night. Khakis and polo shirt was fine. Pant suits, dresses were fine for women, too. Never felt "pressured" to dress any other way by anyone.

Interested to know if this was the norm of people in YC for formal night? Was this recently? We had expected most men would at least wear suits/jackets. Our previous experience was that most did wear a tux and a few a suit but that was a Mediteranean cruise. The ladies mostly wore long evening dresses, was this your experience or just cocktail dresses?