bringing bottles of wine on embarkation day

buzz2400

I just wanted to let everyone know what I encountered when going through the security line on embarkation day in Baltimore. We were a party of 3 (all over age 21) and we brought three bottles of wine. The lady at security told us it is a limit of 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Of course I didn't have it printed out that it was per person who is over the age. So we gave the bottle of wine to the next person in line so as not to hold up the line. Of course I was fuming. This security lady was also opening cases of soda and then taping them up again. After eating on board I went to guest services. I explained what had happened and told her I wanted a replacement bottle of wine. She finally came back and told us that we would have a bottle delivered the next day to our stateroom.

So my warning to you is bring a copy of their policy because they don't know what they are doing in security.

Sorry you ran into that. I'm glad Guest Services was willing to make it right.

Is there only one security line in Baltimore? How in the world could they enforce that with people splitting up, checking in at different times, etc. We've often split up into separate lines to get through faster. I usually am carrying both bottles and have never been stopped :)

I just wanted to let everyone know what I encountered when going through the security line on embarkation day in Baltimore. We were a party of 3 (all over age 21) and we brought three bottles of wine. The lady at security told us it is a limit of 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Of course I didn't have it printed out that it was per person who is over the age. So we gave the bottle of wine to the next person in line so as not to hold up the line. Of course I was fuming. This security lady was also opening cases of soda and then taping them up again. After eating on board I went to guest services. I explained what had happened and told her I wanted a replacement bottle of wine. She finally came back and told us that we would have a bottle delivered the next day to our stateroom.

So my warning to you is bring a copy of their policy because they don't know what they are doing in security.

I'd be fuming too... Sorry you went through that! But thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

The OP was definitely correct ... below copied and pasted from the Carnival FAQ

pages:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

Did you get back the bottle of wine you gave to the next person in line to carry through security?

On our last cruise we found several problem think this. First, as we entered the building a local security officer ask for ID. I show her our passports but that was not good enough and she wanted our drivers licenses. So we had to dig them out of our carry on bag. I had our drinks in a carry on and I was told I had too many. So I had to tell her it was for my family. Luckily, another screener told her to let us pass. I hope Carnival would have their contract crews read the FAQ.

There's always best practices to proactively set in place.

1) print boarding passes for each passenger (that's a given). Printed Luggage tags should already be attached to all bags, checked and carry on (another given). It's also a great idea to fill out the pre-boarding public health questionnaire, per person in ink, which gives the impression that it was just filled out that day (form is pertinent to which country you embark from) and sign & date it in the presence of the counter agent.

2) Security: print out cruise line's policy on all beverages (including wine, champagne, 12 packs of soda). Also, print out the list of Carnival's Prohibited Items AND Carnival's Additional Prohibited Items, Exemptions and other considerations. This way, if there is a situation, you have the proof of what can be brought on to the ship because it wasn't otherwise listed.

3) For on the ship: Any purchases that you made prior to the trip ie. liquor, beer or soda for your stateroom, have a printout of the email showing confirmation of said purchase(s). Applies to bubbles and Cheers program purchase. Computers could go down on ship & this is your proof. Also, the crew may not have reached your room yet in fulfilling your order once you've reached your room.

4) Also, for on the ship: On shore excursions purchased through the ship prior to sail date detailing the specific excursion. Have a printout of the email showing confirmation of said purchase(s) for the same reason listed above.

4) Finally, for on the ship: Prepaid tips - print the email from your travel agent or Carnival's booking rep that that has been paid. Showing the charge(s) from your credit card or bank activity is a good idea since the confirmation shows no detail of specifics. Of course that amount goes into your sign & sail account, which you can access from your stateroom's tv at any time, but you want to address any duplicate charges right away and not when you return home.

Place all printed items in a manila folder or 9X12 office envelope and have in your hand when going through security.

You may not need to use any of these printouts, but it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

There's always best practices to proactively set in place.

1) print boarding passes for each passenger (that's a given). Printed Luggage tags should already be attached to all bags, checked and carry on (another given). It's also a great idea to fill out the pre-boarding public health questionnaire, per person in ink, which gives the impression that it was just filled out that day (form is pertinent to which country you embark from) and sign & date it in the presence of the counter agent.

2) Security: print out cruise line's policy on all beverages (including wine, champagne, 12 packs of soda). Also, print out the list of Carnival's Prohibited Items AND Carnival's Additional Prohibited Items, Exemptions and other considerations. This way, if there is a situation, you have the proof of what can be brought on to the ship because it wasn't otherwise listed.

3) For on the ship: Any purchases that you made prior to the trip ie. liquor, beer or soda for your stateroom, have a printout of the email showing confirmation of said purchase(s). Applies to bubbles and Cheers program purchase. Computers could go down on ship & this is your proof. Also, the crew may not have reached your room yet in fulfilling your order once you've reached your room.

4) Also, for on the ship: On shore excursions purchased through the ship prior to sail date detailing the specific excursion. Have a printout of the email showing confirmation of said purchase(s) for the same reason listed above.

4) Finally, for on the ship: Prepaid tips - print the email from your travel agent or Carnival's booking rep that that has been paid. Showing the charge(s) from your credit card or bank activity is a good idea since the confirmation shows no detail of specifics. Of course that amount goes into your sign & sail account, which you can access from your stateroom's tv at any time, but you want to address any duplicate charges right away and not when you return home.

Place all printed items in a manila folder or 9X12 office envelope and have in your hand when going through security.

You may not need to use any of these printouts, but it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

That is way too much paper to carry. Drop all that into OneNote and have it on your phone if you think it is important.

Did you get back the bottle of wine you gave to the next person in line to carry through security?
Ha, this is my question too
So...did you ever get the bottle of wine back from the person behind you in the security line or did they consume it as a "holding payment"?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D I'm assuming since the OP referred to the guest services bottle as a "replacement" bottle, they didn't get their own back. So my question is, why not? I would've put on an act for security and told the next person they can have it. **WINK WINK** Then been waiting for them as soon as they made it through.

In Port Canaveral a guard told me I couldn't take my empty plastic bottle. I told him I always bring it to use on excursions, the rule is no bottles with liquid. He argued, I told him to call a supervisor. She came over and told him of course, I could take my empty bottle on board. He starting yelling at her saying she should have told him before.

Did you ask for a supervisor?

We (me and DW) have done several B2Bs and always bring 4 bottles of wine with us. We always advise the screeners that there are 4 bottles of wine in our carry on and that we are doing a Back to Back. We also have the Boarding Passes for both cruises in hand. Sometimes they say "Oh, OK." If the security folks question us, we ask them to get a Carnival Supervisor and the Carnival person always say "It's OK."

Key is to ask for a Carnival Supervisor 'cause the screeners may not know all the rules.

The security lady said I would have to throw the bottle out so I just asked the lady behind us if she wanted it. So no I didn't get it back. I got a replacement from carnival but it was so bad we didn't finish it.

I usually bring all the paperwork with me but I didn't print out about wine since so many people bring wine onboard. I figured they would know there the policy.

I'm curious how security knew your cabin information?

I'm sure in six different ports for thirty-six cruises we've gone through security before checking in and have never shown boarding documents at the x-ray scanner. We have shown them at the door but not to the person at the machine.

The three bottles of wine were in one bag. All three of us were together. Security asked us if we were in the same cabin and I said yes. I didn't see a reason to lie to her since I had read that the policy was per person not stateroom.

Sorry you don't buy my story. I really hate these boards. because of people like you. I was just trying to help the next person who was thinking of bringing wine onboard.

Sorry you don't buy my story. I really hate these boards. because of people like you. I was just trying to help the next person who was thinking of bringing wine onboard.

So cut and paste where I said I don't buy your story here ______________ . Good luck with that.

I do the same thing as you, but our experience has been different. All I asked was for a comparative to measure.

Lighten Up Francis...

Edited by BallFour4

So cut and paste where I said I don't buy your story here ______________ . Good luck with that.

I do the same thing as you, but our experience has been different. All I asked was for a comparative to measure.

Lighten Up Francis...

I think it's how you present your responses. In a past thread, when I mentioned to the OP that we had wine glasses in our cabin, you played your "36 cruise" card then, too, and insisted that I must've mistaken water glasses for wine glasses (I didn't). It's a similar situation here. You give the impression that someone else is wrong because you didn't have the same experience on any of your 36 cruises. If multiple people get these impressions, maybe it's not us.

I think it's how you present your responses...

You give the impression...

Using twenty-six letters on a MacBook has little to do with impressions or how one presents. My question was directed at buzz2400 and you answered for them. I've still never said I didn't buy ones story nor did I "insist" on any of your posts.

ass/u/mption.