Short day in Reykjavik.....anything to do close to port?

• 8 months later...
3-4 hours in Reykavik is more than enough to see it, there really isn't much to it.

Its also a pleasant enough walk if the weather is kind. Takes about half an hour,

I understand the cruise terminal in Sundahofn Harbor is around 5 km from city center. Does the cruise port or cruise lines usually offer free shuttle service to/from town center?

I've read that the best hot dog is in Ingolfstorg Square at Pylsuhusid....any one with experience for this ?

We have two days there on our May cruise so first day will be on a private tour and have allowed the 2nd day for a bit of walking around the town as ship leave's at 1:30pm.

The hotdogs mentioned are indeed good, but I really thought every hotdog I had there was good. I couldn't really tell a huge difference between them all. I must be a heathen.

For something short to do, consider Mink Photography. We had great Viking family portraits taken - high quality photography with costuming (the photographer helped costume the Wildlings from north of the wall in GOT.) He is active in Viking re-enactments as well. Our Christmas cards were amazing that year!

I understand the cruise terminal in Sundahofn Harbor is around 5 km from city center. Does the cruise port or cruise lines usually offer free shuttle service to/from town center?

When we had an overnight port call in Reykjavik in 2016 we picked up our rental car at the cruise terminal, so we weren't paying any attention to a potential shuttle to/from the Reykjavik city center. But there is a water taxi/ferry service which goes over to Videy Island and onto the downtown area. Check for more information, but when we were in Reykjavik on a land trip in 2014 it seems to me that one of the water taxi stops is near the Harpa.

The hotdogs mentioned are indeed good, but I really thought every hotdog I had there was good. I couldn't really tell a huge difference between them all. I must be a heathen.

We did a land trip to Iceland in 2014, a cruise which included three Icelandic ports in 2016, and after that 2016 cruise we flew back to Iceland to spend four more days before returning home to Alaska. So we have consumed our fair share if the famous hotdogs, and I also couldn't tell a difference between them. Even the toppings seem very consistent. Wonder if there are many companies that manufacture them but the taste was very consistent.

I don’t know if there is more than one cruise terminal, but when we docked at Reykjavik on Disney Magic, there was a free shuttle bus provided from our terminal which dropped us off at the Harpa concert hall building in the city centre.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t know if there is more than one cruise terminal, but when we docked at Reykjavik on Disney Magic, there was a free shuttle bus provided from our terminal which dropped us off at the Harpa concert hall building in the city.

Thanks for the info. I think there's only one cruise terminal there. Do you happen to recall if the shuttle was provided by Disney or by the cruise port?

Thanks for the info. I think there's only one cruise terminal there. Do you happen to recall if the shuttle was provided by Disney or by the cruise port?

Sorry, no, I am afraid I don’t know. Disney’s shuttles are usually free, so you cannot tell who is providing them. When you are on a cruise line which charges for shuttles, it is easier to tell! You could try asking on your cruise line’s board.