Caribbean ship opinions

All of the mentioned are 2nd tear as they do not have the variety AND/OR quality of the WJ!

Seriously you take the hot dog house as a substitute for lunch compared to the WJ?:eek:

Breakfast at the Park Cafe compared to a WJ on Freedom-class!:eek:

And this is supposed to be an advantage of Oasis-class? :rolleyes:

It is a cheap substitute to the service offered on other ships!

I am still waiting for someone to name a true value on Oasis-class!;p

Let's continue

Jammers rarely have variety or quality :confused:

Some people like hot dogs, brats, etc.

JR's features made to order omelets delivered to your table, no standing in line like Freedom

Park Café breakfast burrito is quite tasty, obviously not you cup of tea

Park Café Kumelweck is just plain awesome

Solarium café is a healthy alternative for breakfast and lunch, I do not recommend the turkey bacon :eek:

Wipe Out Café also does a nice sit down breakfast, and I'm told the pretzel dog is a big hit

For those staying in Suites the Coastal Kitchen is a very nice escape from the crowds. (Junior Suites can go there for dinner only)

Disclaimer - I have sailed Allure pre dry dock and Oasis post dry dock. We like it so much we have 10-11 trips booked for the rest of this year, plus one on Allure so Laura can see Mama Mia.

I have sailed Freedom 15 times and Indy twice. Fine ships, just not Oasis Class

"Welcome to one of this country's most delicious unknown sandwiches, the Beef on Weck. This simple but brilliant creation features thinly sliced, horseradish-covered roast beef piled high on a freshly baked kummelweck roll. The roll's fragrant caraway seeds and coarse salt are a perfect accent, and when you add a steaming ramekin of fresh beef jus for dunking, you'll understand why this is the pride of Western New York."

Edited by John&LaLa
Added description of Kumelweck

I would strongly recommend to stay away from Oasis-class ships as they are not really what makes a cruise-ship great!

They are just an amusement park and you do not need to be on a ship to have that!

They are for people that are not really into cruising on the ocean but just need to be entertained 24/7.

Pooldeck is crowded becuase of the cut-outs that take a lot of space away and the boardwalk and central park are useless and nothing we would need on a ship!

For a nice ship experience with a lot of wow I would recommend

Freedom, Liberty or Adventure.

^^^

What they said

After a disappointing Carnival Christmas cruise several years ago I've talked my Husband into giving cruising another go.

I've been on a RC cruise (Brilliance of the Seas) once before as a teen, back in 2003. I remember it being an amazing experience and wanting to do it again. Since then I've been on 2 Carnival cruises, the last of which with my husband, and they have come no where near to comparing.

I want to show my husband the amazing experience I know cruising can be. We've decided to hit up the Caribbean in either Jan/Feb/March 2018. I'm having a hard time picking which cruise though and hoping you can help as I'm so out of the loop.

What ship would you recommend to really wow? We will have our (then) 8 mo old with us, but would prefer a cruise without a ton of children. Ports of call are semi important (would love to go to Grand Cayman again), but the ship matters more for this voyage.

We both like newer, nicer things. We would be a getting a balcony room and likely a junior suite.

It looks like it'd be looking at one of these ships:

-Freedom

-Rhapsody

-Empress

-Liberty

-Oasis

-Allure

-Anthem

-Jewel

-Adventure

Any suggestions to make sure he really gets a good cruising experience?

Without your identifying more specifically what he (and you) liked/disliked about the previous cruise (other than you would prefer less kids except for your own), it's hard to suggest an alternative other than avoid recreating the same situation.

IMO, Carnival and RCI (as well as NCL) are very similar in many of the respects that MAY be "deal breakers" for you.

If you'd like a smaller ship, impeccably fitted and maintained, where food quality and service are far superior to those basic cruise lines, consider a premium line like Oceania. At first glance, the comparative cabin price may give you some concern. But, do the math and recognize that O's price includes air fare (or an air credit), beverages, internet, all specialty restaurants and a choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC. And cruising is definitely one area of the service/travel industry where you do "get what you paid for."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's continue

Jammers rarely have variety or quality :confused:

Some people like hot dogs, brats, etc.

JR's features made to order omelets delivered to your table, no standing in line like Freedom

Park Café breakfast burrito is quite tasty, obviously not you cup of tea

Park Café Kumelweck is just plain awesome

Solarium café is a healthy alternative for breakfast and lunch, I do not recommend the turkey bacon :eek:

Wipe Out Café also does a nice sit down breakfast, and I'm told the pretzel dog is a big hit

For those staying in Suites the Coastal Kitchen is a very nice escape from the crowds. (Junior Suites can go there for dinner only)

Disclaimer - I have sailed Allure pre dry dock and Oasis post dry dock. We like it so much we have 10-11 trips booked for the rest of this year, plus one on Allure so Laura can see Mama Mia.

I have sailed Freedom 15 times and Indy twice. Fine ships, just not Oasis Class

"Welcome to one of this country's most delicious unknown sandwiches, the Beef on Weck. This simple but brilliant creation features thinly sliced, horseradish-covered roast beef piled high on a freshly baked kummelweck roll. The roll's fragrant caraway seeds and coarse salt are a perfect accent, and when you add a steaming ramekin of fresh beef jus for dunking, you'll understand why this is the pride of Western New York."

Forget it - You are quoting single items or market mini-versions of the WJ where other ships have the full variety in the WJ!

JR total failure!

Slow, bad food, no variety!

The others named stripped down versions of the WJ as pesented on other class ships!

Overall they are trying to make the "free" food soooo bad and undesirable on Oasis-class that you have to go to a upcharge place!

THAT is the real reason behind the Oasis-class food strip down!

Practical example:

I want an omelette, real bacon, a bagel, french toast with strawberries and a donut for breakfast!

Easy task in ANY WJ or any other ship or any other cruise-line but unachievable on Oasis-class!

You have yet to name a thing that makes Oasis-class desirable unless the Kümmel-Weck was the thing making you want to come back again!

Fact is Oasis-class has less space per passenger than any other ship in the RCI fleet and to me there is absolutely nothing positive about the Oasis-class and their flawed layout!

I can name hundreds of design flaws on that class of ship and I do not even have the ability to judge the welds!:p

Oasis-class = total desaster - so sad!;p

Edited by germanfflyer

Forget it - You are quoting single items or market mini-versions of the WJ where other ships have the full variety in the WJ!

JR total failure!

Slow, bad food, no variety!

The others named stripped down versions of the WJ as pesented on other class ships!

Overall they are trying to make the "free" food soooo bad and undesirable on Oasis-class that you have to go to a upcharge place!

THAT is the real reason behind the Oasis-class food strip down!

Practical example:

I want an omelette, real bacon, a bagel, french toast with strawberries and a donut for breakfast!

Easy task in ANY WJ or any other ship or any other cruise-line but unachievable on Oasis-class!

You have yet to name a thing that makes Oasis-class desirable unless the Kümmel-Weck was the thing making you want to come back again!

Fact is Oasis-class has less space per passenger than any other ship in the RCI fleet and to me there is absolutely nothing positive about the Oasis-class and their flawed layout!

I can name hundreds of design flaws on that class of ship and I do not even have the ability to judge the welds!:p

Oasis-class = total desaster - so sad!;p

And were back to the welds. :') Isn't that your complaint on Harmony, didn't know it applied to Oasis and Allure. :confused:

I come back because I like Coastal Kitchen, the Beach Pool, the Aqua Theater, the sand artist in the Ice show, loaded hash browns in Johnny Rockets, the comedy club, the hot dog stand, the huge balconies on hump Junior suites, and yes the Kummelweck.

Freedom doesn't have any of that, and quite frankly I couldn't begin to attempt the breakfast you described plus the fact that you spent 20 minutes wandering around the jammer to assemble it. I hope you find a seat. ;p

I have learned the hard way - to be SO greatful for that!<3:kiss-mark:(y)

How many oasis class trips? I just seem to recall that ill advised Harmony in the Med fiasco :loudcry:

Never, ever, book an inaugural sailing

And were back to the welds. :') Isn't that your complaint on Harmony, didn't know it applied to Oasis and Allure. :confused:

I come back because I like Coastal Kitchen, the Beach Pool, the Aqua Theater, the sand artist in the Ice show, loaded hash browns in Johnny Rockets, the comedy club, the hot dog stand, the huge balconies on hump Junior suites, and yes the Kummelweck.

Freedom doesn't have any of that, and quite frankly I couldn't begin to attempt the breakfast you described plus the fact that you spent 20 minutes wandering around the jammer to assemble it. I hope you find a seat. ;p

I never complained about the welds- but heard they are absolutely horrible because the French do not know how to weld properly!:D

None of the things you mention would make me want to come back to a ship.......

My breakfast preparations only take about 8 minutes - just enough time to pick up the fesh and tasty omelette they do in all WJ but on Oasis-class with the scaled down food-options ;p

Never a problem to find a seat as only Oasis-class has that WJ seat-problem to encourage upcharge food-options!

BTW you do not have to stand in line for on omelette- they give you a number to pick it up!:D

Oh that's right, you just don't like the French. Yes you get a number, but you still have to go wait and sometimes that takes a while. They don't deliver to your table.

Well this is winding down, safe travels in the future.

211aca9673516de2ff880a1a3080d85b.jpg

Courtesy of Merion Mom

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

How many oasis class trips? I just seem to recall that ill advised Harmony in the Med fiasco :loudcry:

Never, ever, book an inaugural sailing

Never was in the Med on a cruise......

We had to endure Harmony on the TA!:loudcry::eek:

Just hope I will not be stuck with another Oasis-class any time soon......as I am fearing they might take over a lot of the TA in the future :eek:

But then an Oasis-class TA might be better than no cruise at all:confused::rolleyes:

Never was in the Med on a cruise......

We had to endure Harmony on the TA!:loudcry::eek:

Just hope I will not be stuck with another Oasis-class any time soon......as I am fearing they might take over a lot of the TA in the future :eek:

But then an Oasis-class TA might be better than no cruise at all:confused::rolleyes:

She's really not designed for a crossing.

To many needy D+ and PC members for my taste.

So have you been on Oasis or Allure?

She's really not designed for a crossing.

To many needy D+ and PC members for my taste.

So have you been on Oasis or Allure?

No but as stated before I might be "forced" to give it a try......:rolleyes:

Would love to see Mamma Mia on a ship!:cool:

And as the sign in your previous post says if I have to go......I will lower my standards to that level!

BUT I will NOT eat a hot-dog, burrito or Kümmel-Weck!

Enough is enough!:p:D

Edited by germanfflyer

......as I am fearing they might take over a lot of the TA in the future :eek:

The only time Oasis class ships have TAs is on initial repositioning (like Harmony last year) and their 5 year check ups (unless RCI finds some yard on the US side). However, given that there will be 5 of them, yes, there will likely be a TA every year for an Oasis class ship. Plenty of other ships for TAs though.

I have been on Oasis March 2016 because was a gift, all places are very crowded. Nice ship a lot of things but 6000+ passengers is a lot of people.

I prefer smaller ships where you don't need to be in waiting in the line to enter the MDR, etc Also the service you receive is better. Splendour of the Seas was my favorite. Now will try Celebrity Eclipse only 2,800 Passengers

I have been on Oasis March 2016 because was a gift, all places are very crowded. Nice ship a lot of things but 6000+ passengers is a lot of people.

I prefer smaller ships where you don't need to be in waiting in the line to enter the MDR, etc Also the service you receive is better. Splendour of the Seas was my favorite. Now will try Celebrity Eclipse only 2,800 Passengers

...ONLY 2,800 passengers?

My in-laws cruised Freedom over 10 times. They don't like have crowds and we're in their late 70's early 80's and still loved it! You're much younger, but meant it to say the crowds didn't appear to be a problem on this ship. We have tried Freedom, but was on the Allure. We were glad we went on this size/style ship once, but we won't go again. Crowds, layout and the fact you feel like you're in a hotel and not on a ship we didn't like. Instead of having parties at the pool on deck, they do it inside the promenade which makes for a nightmare going from one side of the ship to the other or just wanting to take a stroll through it at night. You CAN'T get through. Don't even try to get an elevator after a show. We used steps the entire time. As you can tell we are not fond of the mega ships!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Celebrity Eclipse Facts:

cutaway_image.jpg Occupancy : 2850 Tonnage : 122000 Inaugural Date : Apr 29, 2010 Length : 1041 ft Beam : 121 ft Draught : 27 ft Cruise Speed : 24 kts

My question about "only 2,800" was meant facetiously. IMO, it's still a thundering herd of humanity. And, even if it was a lower 1,800 passenger load (regardless of ship tonnage), it would still be an impersonal beast.

That said, From the perspective of passengers, the most important data related to the cruise experience remains crew ratio and per passenger food cost. They are key factors in delineating a definition of the premium/luxury cruise experience.

It really comes down to your style of cruising. However, I strongly disagree with anybody that advises to skip the Oasis class. While the size of the ship does provide for some itinerary limitations and at times can feel like an amusement park at sea (personally i love this), you'd be amazed by how often you can find moments on that ship where you feel like you are the only person sailing on a ship with 6,000 other people. Running the track early in the morning comes to mind. Plus, when you want the action all you have to do is step outside your stateroom. Yes, it's a bit of an inward facing ship if you feel that part of cruising is connecting to the ocean, as I do, get yourself that balcony cabin and make no compromises on that choice. But some of the best features are the inward facing "neighborhoods". Take a minute to comprehend an actual park in the middle of the ocean. With beautiful plants surrounded by great restaurants and outdoor dining option. The engineering and thought that went into these ships cannot be overlooked and if you take a moment to think about it, it's present at every turn.

So...grab that Oasis class ship that has the ports that you want and come sail away, you'll both be looking to get back as you walk the plank back towards the terminal on debarkation day.

It really comes down to your style of cruising. However, I strongly disagree with anybody that advises to skip the Oasis class. While the size of the ship does provide for some itinerary limitations and at times can feel like an amusement park at sea (personally i love this), you'd be amazed by how often you can find moments on that ship where you feel like you are the only person sailing on a ship with 6,000 other people. Running the track early in the morning comes to mind. Plus, when you want the action all you have to do is step outside your stateroom. Yes, it's a bit of an inward facing ship if you feel that part of cruising is connecting to the ocean, as I do, get yourself that balcony cabin and make no compromises on that choice. But some of the best features are the inward facing "neighborhoods". Take a minute to comprehend an actual park in the middle of the ocean. With beautiful plants surrounded by great restaurants and outdoor dining option. The engineering and thought that went into these ships cannot be overlooked and if you take a moment to think about it, it's present at every turn.

So...grab that Oasis class ship that has the ports that you want and come sail away, you'll both be looking to get back as you walk the plank back towards the terminal on debarkation day.

"...an actual park in the middle of the ocean." Where's Ensign Pulver when you need him?

I'm late to comment and you - OP - sound like you may have already decided on the Oasis class, but allow me to offer up a different opinion as a fellow former Carnival cruiser.

If you want a cruise with few children, I very HIGHLY recommend you pursue one of the smaller ships (such as the Brilliance you so loved). I've found that ships with fewer kid-focused bells and whistles (such as the H2O Zone, Shrek characters, bumper cars, etc.) tend to draw fewer kids. Families with children tend to lean toward the larger ships which have a plethora of unique activities to keep the kids occupied.

It's also been my experience that cruises out of Puerto Rico tend to draw fewer kids. It's a longer flight for most (about an hour longer than to Miami, if you're traveling from the northeast). While the air fare to San Juan costs more than flights to Florida, often the cruise fares are a bit cheaper and it can balance out. That would take some research on your part.

After the first cruise experience, it's sometimes the case that sea days become passe. I totally understand that there are people who cruise solely for the ship and for them the mega-ships are enormous floating resorts. For me, one of the benefits of cruising is the variety. Cruises out of Puerto Rico offer an experience where you wake up in a new and different place daily, typically with only one and no more than two days at sea. If the ports matter to you, I really recommend you look at Adventure or Jewel, out of San Juan.

Just one more opinion...

The only time Oasis class ships have TAs is on initial repositioning (like Harmony last year) and their 5 year check ups (unless RCI finds some yard on the US side). However, given that there will be 5 of them, yes, there will likely be a TA every year for an Oasis class ship. Plenty of other ships for TAs though.

Well if they have Indy year around in Southampton as the rumor says and Oasis-class goes to Barcelona for the summer season.......there will be not much or even no other ship left doing a TA with a flowrider.....:eek:

But let's hope they will keep more choices for the TA!(y)

Edited by germanfflyer

Well if they have Indy year around in Southampton as the rumor says and Oasis-class goes to Barcelona for the summer season.......there will be not much or even no other ship left doing a TA with a flowrider.....:eek:

But let's hope they will keep more choices for the TA!(y)

3 Things:

1. Where did you hear Indy was staying in Southampton?

2. Navigator has a Flowrider, and not to mention Freedom is in Europe this year. Both seem like your cup of tea.

3. No one is forcing you to do another Oasis Class. If you hated Harmony so much, go on another ship.