Please help stop the hoarding of daybeds in the solarium!!!😡

We recently cruised the Harmony of the Seas in June. I was appalled to see how selfish people were! There are plenty of deck chairs to go around but no more than about 15 day bed canopies. I literally witnessed people putting towels and books in them and reserving them for hours on end! This has to stop! I think Royal should put a new protocol in place that if day beds are left unattended then they become free for use for the next guest. No one should be holding on to these. There are only about a dozen to share between almost 6000 guests! It should be used for lounging and relaxing purposes only! Not as a resting spot while you go off to breakfast, lunch, dinner, shop, swim, etc. There are deck chairs for all of that! There were so many people who were angered by this and something needs to be done. Please join in my contacting Royal Caribbean in order to get this changed! It may be a small issue to some, but to others like myself that paid upwards of 5k for this trip only to never have gotten the opportunity to relax in the day beds due to the selfish hoarding of others it was highly upsetting!

IMG_6436.JPG.7596ee31e87e3ad083b0a9df5700eed3.JPG

Just move the items and make yourself comfortable. If the person returns within 30 minutes, apologize and move. If they come back after 30 minutes, tell them the chair was empty when you got there and they should find a pool attendant.

Royal won't police this- so you have to!

When we were on the Oasis, several years ago, they did police them and removed belongings after 30 minutes if left unattended. We watched them do this.

Would love to see this happen more frequently. Some people really are so selfish.

We were on Allure on spring break and I asked a pool attendant for help. I pointed out several chairs that had stuff unattended for 45+ minutes. He declined to help, saying "they are probably just in the bathroom or getting food". Yeah, right.

Just move the items and make yourself comfortable. If the person returns within 30 minutes, apologize and move. If they come back after 30 minutes, tell them the chair was empty when you got there and they should find a pool attendant.

Royal won't police this- so you have to!

I am not going to touch someone else's belongings. That is asking for a fight. We must all work together to fight this terrible attitude of entitlement and selfishness! That is really what this is about. Not just chairs! We all pay to enjoy our vacations. Why make excuses for those that try to ruin it for others with their selfishness??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Allure on spring break and I asked a pool attendant for help. I pointed out several chairs that had stuff unattended for 45+ minutes. He declined to help, saying "they are probably just in the bathroom or getting food". Yeah, right.

I asked for help as well and it didn't do any good. Literally this woman and her young son who wasn't supposed to be allowed in there anyway, came down and put a bag and some shoes in the chair. She went off to enjoy her day. I came back four hours later and her stuff was still there!

OP, did you bring this up with a pool attendant? Or with any crew member?

I did. They claimed they would remove them after 30 minutes, but when I approached them hours later, I was told they were just out eating or swimming. It was ridiculous. They don't get paid enough to bother. Royal Caribbean will have to change their policy. Plain and simple. There are just so few of them to spare and they are quite pricy costing around $1400 per daybed. They are not going to be putting more on the decks in spite of their popularity.

Not as a resting spot while you go off to breakfast, lunch, dinner, shop, swim, etc. There are deck chairs for all of that!

Technically, the deck chairs are also not for that. The rule is no sharing or hoarding of chairs. The reality is it's done on every cruise ship and in every resort.

That's not to say I don't agree with the OP. I personally saw two workers on Anthem in deep discussion overlooking one such seat - it was pretty obvious they didn't want to move the offending items. They likely don't want to deal with screaming guests and are appreciative when other guests do it.

I did. They claimed they would remove them after 30 minutes, but when I approached them hours later, I was told they were just out eating or swimming. It was ridiculous. They don't get paid enough to bother. Royal Caribbean will have to change their policy. Plain and simple. There are just so few of them to spare and they are quite pricy costing around $1400 per daybed. They are not going to be putting more on the decks in spite of their popularity.

Maybe if these $1400.00 contraptions cause so much controversy RCI will just get rid of them. There's your change in policy.

I hate confrontation so prefer not to act but it does annoy me. Can make allowance for the odd selfish person but I see a significant number doing this in the Solarium. Often with no intention to use the deck chair, just somewhere to put their things while spending hours in the hot tub.

Technically, the deck chairs are also not for that. The rule is no sharing or hoarding of chairs. The reality is it's done on every cruise ship and in every resort.

That's not to say I don't agree with the OP. I personally saw two workers on Anthem in deep discussion overlooking one such seat - it was pretty obvious they didn't want to move the offending items. They likely don't want to deal with screaming guests and are appreciative when other guests do it.

I'm fully aware that the deck chairs are not to be reserved either, but unlike the daybeds, there are more than enough deck chairs on the Harmony to go around twice. So if a guest chooses to break the rules and be selfish, it would make more sense to do it with the abundance of deck chairs instead of the paltry offerings of the daybeds.

Maybe if these $1400.00 contraptions cause so much controversy RCI will just get rid of them. There's your change in policy.

Sad that selfish people tend to make things worse for everyone. It is sickening at how people normalize this. That's the bigger issue.

Sad that selfish people tend to make things worse for everyone. It is sickening at how people normalize this. That's the bigger issue.

It really is not a matter of normalizing the issue. It is more a matter of when I know I am going to encounter an issue that might prove to be aggravating I try to prepare ahead of time for the situation so that I don't let it annoy me. Your getting worked up about this is not having the slightest impact on those selfish people that you are talking about. It is no different that selfish drivers on the road. I can scream my head off at them in my the car which only serves to hurt my throat or I can continue chilling to the music that I am listening to.

Oh Boy if that´s been OP´s biggest Problem it must have been a darn fabulous cruise.

If you want one of those go there early and get one. Easy as that.

I agree with Ocean Boy, if it´s that much of a Problem for People to complain (which I bet in reality it isn´t) RCI should probably either get rid of them or Charge a premium for the use of them. Sounds like a sensible Change in policy the OP asked for.

But RCI knows that these types of issues exist on the pool/sun decks. What did they think was going to happen by putting 15 or so of these things on a ship carrying 5600 passengers? If people are going to get so worked up over this it be best to just get rid of them and avoid the the problem and stress for both the passengers and staff.

RCI does not get rid of things that are overcrowded, they add charges to manage demand. I would not be surprised if there were charges for these daybeds before year end. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were NOT charges added before year end.

I agree, it is selfish to commandeer the daybed all day if you are not using it. But if you are using it, that's fair play.

I understand OP's frustration in paying a lot for a vacation and never getting to use a listed amenity because supply was far below demand.

It really is not a matter of normalizing the issue. It is more a matter of when I know I am going to encounter an issue that might prove to be aggravating I try to prepare ahead of time for the situation so that I don't let it annoy me. Your getting worked up about this is not having the slightest impact on those selfish people that you are talking about. It is no different that selfish drivers on the road. I can scream my head off at them in my the car which only serves to hurt my throat or I can continue chilling to the music that I am listening to.

I understand that, but the bigger issue is there are too many people that are self entitled, rude, and just plain selfish and I witness how over and over again their actions impact others negatively. I always speak up for others. Whether it is the elderly getting shoved on the elevator and being pushed aside, or the waiters being berated and mistreated by vile guests. I just like to help others. We just have to speak out against terrible people more. That's the only way to get them to stop.

RCI does not get rid of things that are overcrowded, they add charges to manage demand. I would not be surprised if there were charges for these daybeds before year end. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were NOT charges added before year end.

I agree, it is selfish to commandeer the daybed all day if you are not using it. But if you are using it, that's fair play.

I understand OP's frustration in paying a lot for a vacation and never getting to use a listed amenity because supply was far below demand.

I agree with you. The problem is the guests were not using them. Simply reserving them in case they felt like it later on. It does suck to pay for amenities that I never had the opportunity to utilize simply because people are selfish.

What I find is that the people who do this simply don't care about the others they are impacting. You are a mug for not doing it too in their book. They got up early and claimed it, 'fair and square'. If they didn't do it at 7am it wouldn't be available when they wanted to use it for 30 minutes at 4pm.

You're right that the only way this will be changed is if Royal either steps up enforcement of their rules, or changes them (i.e. start charging). Asking others to 'do the right thing' is a complete waste of energy.

And yes I leave my shoes and towel by a chair when I'm in the hot tub, I'm not entirely sure where else anyone thinks I should leave them. I'd happily leave all of the deck chairs and loungers free if they offered somewhere else to leave a bag with sunscreen and flip flops. Our family of 4 only ever takes up one chair, and only when we're in the pool/hot tub.

What I find is that the people who do this simply don't care about the others they are impacting. You are a mug for not doing it too in their book. They got up early and claimed it, 'fair and square'. If they didn't do it at 7am it wouldn't be available when they wanted to use it for 30 minutes at 4pm.

You're right that the only way this will be changed is if Royal either steps up enforcement of their rules, or changes them (i.e. start charging). Asking others to 'do the right thing' is a complete waste of energy.

And yes I leave my shoes and towel by a chair when I'm in the hot tub, I'm not entirely sure where else anyone thinks I should leave them. I'd happily leave all of the deck chairs and loungers free if they offered somewhere else to leave a bag with sunscreen and flip flops. Our family of 4 only ever takes up one chair, and only when we're in the pool/hot tub.

Sigh. Asking others to do the right thing is a waste of energy? I'm only saddened and disappointed because you may be right. The direction that some are heading into is absolutely terrifying. I guess I will keep up my one person army in trying to do right. Hopefully, others will join me.

I'm an early riser who enjoys a cup of coffee in a travel mug while I sit in the Solarium from 6-7AM. I'm usually one of the first there and try to sit in the middle of the most comfy loungers. Some man is usually assigned the duty of bringing a groups' towels and he clips them to the loungers, like little soldiers in a row. Then, he leaves to either go back to sleep or for breakfast. His group is then assured to have the nicest loungers for the entire day as I often see their towels still there.

I think the cruise lines have little incentive to fix this problem. My SIL insists upon a nice suite/balcony and pays for the privilege so that he doesn't have to deal with these problems.

I enjoy frustrating the chair hogs in their efforts to secure several loungers together. Doing my part for the cause...

I only know from experience, sadly. There's no appealing to some people's sense of decency, because they don't have one. All you do is aggravate yourself, and for no gain. I've stopped trying to ask people to do the right thing. Unless I can present it as a way they can gain something else, they're not interested.

I am not going to touch someone else's belongings. That is asking for a fight. We must all work together to fight this terrible attitude of entitlement and selfishness! That is really what this is about. Not just chairs! We all pay to enjoy our vacations. Why make excuses for those that try to ruin it for others with their selfishness??

You are not going to combat the worldwide issue of selfishness and entitlement by starting with this pool lounger issue.

The previous commenter was right, if you've noticed they've been gone a while, just put their stuff aside and enjoy the lounger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk