Mexican Ports of Call - Cabo - new crime wave

OlsSalt

Here we go again with the Mexican drug lords - California now has legal recreational pot and the really vicious M-13 drug smuggling gang is facing a national crackdown in the US. Expect this will destabilize things for a while. Stay tuned.

Grim story out of Cabo San Lucas - trigger warning -very grisly report two blocks from the tourist zone, open link only if you wish more info: http://www.sfgate.com/news/local/article/Killings-continue-in-Mexico-s-Baja-California-Sur-11212064.php

We are heading this way ourselves in Sept, so will be planning on possible port changes.

If you left the main tourist areas and where the wealthy live, Cabo has had dangerous areas for decades, and problems for folks wandering into these areas.

What is nice today about Cabo is the very cleaned up and slightly "controlled" inner harbor area, post Hurricane a few years ago, which makes a very nice promenade on its own, with a lunch or brunch stop at the very lovely newly restored Hacienda Hotel at the end of the inner harbor promenade point.

So Cabo is doing its part to provide a relatively safe and secure tourist day tripper environment, but there is nothing to keep anyone from wandering a "few blocks away" - particularly if one is looking for that wonderful Mexican glassware shop. http://www.glassfactory.com.mx/site/es/

Shall await any further news we get out here in California about this developing, and yet again grisly, situation. There was also a vicious, maiming attack on a border agent in New Mexico which is also being interpreted as a "signal" the drug lords are not happy with the changing border circumstances in the US.

Agree, as in most of these "message" crimes tourists are not targeted, only the drug gang turf war standoffs. However, no sense getting caught in harms way either. Although impacting tourism is one leverage the gangs have to get the authorities to "look the other way" regarding their own quest for dominant power and territory.

What is nice today about Cabo is the very cleaned up and slightly "controlled" inner harbor area, post Hurricane a few years ago, which makes a very nice promenade on its own, with a lunch or brunch stop at the very lovely newly restored Hacienda Hotel at the end of the inner harbor promenade point.

So Cabo is doing its part to provide a relatively safe and secure tourist day tripper environment, but there is nothing to keep anyone from wandering a "few blocks away" - particularly if one is looking for that wonderful Mexican glassware shop. http://www.glassfactory.com.mx/site/es/

Shall await any further news we get out here in California about this developing, and yet again grisly, situation. There was also a vicious, maiming attack on a border agent in New Mexico which is also being interpreted as a "signal" the drug lords are not happy with the changing border circumstances in the US.

Agree, as in most of these "message" crimes tourists are not targeted, only the drug gang turf war standoffs. However, no sense getting caught in harms way either. Although impacting tourism is one leverage the gangs have to get the authorities to "look the other way" regarding their own quest for dominant power and territory.

I grew up in San Diego and we camped a lot in Baja...also my brothers had haircuts in TJ when they were little...and we used to go to some of the clubs for "drinking and dancing" back in the day:eek: when I was in college....brother lives in Baja now...I love Mexico..and sad to think of all the violence....I saw this on the news....thanks for your perspective...didn't realize it might be in retaliation to tightening border security.

I live in Cabo six months a year, just returned to San Diego two weeks ago, so if you really want to know what is happening, I am happy to answer questions.

First of all, the author of the article was doing what any journalist would do to get you to read it, sensationalism. None of us are "traumatized" by what is happening. Truth be told, it's been happening and I really do not want to add more fuel to the fire. I arrived December 13 this year and saw an escalation in Federal police presence. Federal, not Municipal, those are the guys you have to pay off to get out of your ticket. The Federal police are the good guys. The Mexican government does not want to loose control of Cabo and which each incident, more Federal police have been brought in. The cartels are making a statement and so is the government.

With the arrest of "El Chapo" Guzman, the cartels saw that as an opportunity to start turf wars. Cabo has always had a cartel, but it was silent as dealing drugs from Cabo is cumbersome, they have to be driven 1000 miles north and cross the border or a ferry to the mainland. Now, one cartel is greedy and wants more turf, even if it's not profitable for them. So as has been mentioned, this is a turf war, this has nothing to do with tourist or ex-pats, of which there is a large number in Cabo, both American & Canadian.

The location of the cooler was strategically placed to be found. It was very close to a dormitory (hotel) that is housing the Federal policeman. This is not the first cooler and in other cases, the bodies are not found with them which seems to indicate that the killings are not happening in Cabo. There have been many more problems in San Jose Del Cabo than in Cabo San Lucas.

I seriously doubt any of you will be diverted on your cruises. Cabo experienced over 300,000 cruise ship passengers between January and May 2017. Ironically, during Spring Break, typically March 1-April 15, nothing happened. Guess the cartels go on Spring Break also. You will see stepped up police presence, there are shade covers set up on various corners of the marina and Marina Blvd, the main drag in town, manned by a couple of Federal Police officers. They are a friendly bunch and will pose for pictures with you. Before I left, the police had gotten a new toy, a helicopter, and were flying that low around the marina, not sure if they were practicing or making a statement.

Enjoy my second home, it is beautiful, the Mexican people are wonderful, the food and drink is fantastic. Don't worry, be happy.:D

Thank you for your on the spot Cabo update. Very glad to hear a two-way "message" is going on right now. Cabo has too much to lose otherwise - the new improvements are lovely and has now made Cabo a favorite Mexican Riviera stop.

I did not want to see what happened in Mazaltan a few years ago happen to Cabo too. Mexican Riviera has terrific port stops, that we have enjoyed many times and happy to welcome Mazatlan and its beautiful Centro Historic back in business again. Keep fighting the good fight against these reprehensible drug gangs, while we continue to discourage this illegal drug trade at the consumer end too.

CWcruisers,

Thank you for your unique and personal insight into what is really going on in Cabo today. Our ship (Oosterdam) is currently scheduled to call on Cabo in early October, and we would hate to see the visit canceled for safety / security reasons. We love it there! :D

But we also know that sometimes the cruise lines will choose to error on the safer side of caution when making decisions about specific ports of call.

We can only hope that things settle down there (relatively speaking), rather than escalate in any way.

CWcruisers,

We can only hope that things settle down there (relatively speaking), rather than escalate in any way.

I'm happy to keep you posted. I will be there again August 19-30 and then for the season November 20-May ?

I really don't think that things would escalate in Cabo to the point they have in other communities, between the strong ex-pat community and the Mexican government, I think things will remain manageable. No place is perfect. :cool:

BTW, I am not on your cruise, KroozNut is a friend that I met through cruising and lives in my same community in San Diego. He asked me to provide information on what I know. I am in touch daily with my friends that live there full time.

If you are hesitant about going to Mexico, you might want to think twice about US cities like Orlando, Miami and FLL. It does not matter where you are, and you might be unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ANYWHERE in the world, bad thing can happen. Driving to the port or to the grocery store might be more dangerous.

If you are hesitant about going to Mexico, you might want to think twice about US cities like Orlando, Miami and FLL. It does not matter where you are, and you might be unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ANYWHERE in the world, bad thing can happen. Driving to the port or to the grocery store might be more dangerous.

Many of us have little to no interest in visiting Mexico, been there done that ages ago. Once I'm on a plane I would much rather fly to Hawaii, even if it costs three times the price.

But I'm very sorry to hear about the towns of Cabo and I fear these incidents will have a chilling impact on tourism.

Here is a good story about what has and is happening. There is also a link on what to do in a medical emergency which you might find helpful. We have a brand new state of the art hospital in Cabo called H. There is very good medical care.

http://www.itravel-cabo.com/about-los-cabos/safety.aspx

... or taking an evening stroll in London, or participating in a baseball practice in Alexandria, VA.