Driving from Philly to NYC cruise terminal . . .

lmintzer

Thinking I will probably drive in and park at the pier for our July cruise. The driving distance is, theoretically, only 2 hours. I hate driving in NYC--have only done it once--but it looks like a pretty short distance after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel.

I know there can always be traffic. Thinking of leaving at 7:15 a.m. or so. We will be staying in the Haven, so I would like to get there in time to beat the crowds and board as early as possible.

Any suggestions the trip in as easy as possible? With the Lincoln Tunnel, don't doesn't the lane you enter affect where what street you can exit on to?

It's an easy drive from the tunnel, remember no one is driving that fast! This time we drove up 10th and made a left on 55th, signage for the terminal right there. Without traffic, the trip should take under 2 hours.

Easy ride up the west side from the tunnel. Weekend departure I assume so no rush hour to deal with 7 makes sense to me to leave. However I would of course check for accidents etc in case you need to adjust your route or to be safe leave maybe 6 or 6:30. I'm overly cautious about travel incidents though and checking out the traffic patterns beforehand

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate driving in NYC--have only done it once--but it looks like a pretty short distance after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel.

Right...I think once you exit the tunnel it's three left turns...then you're at the parking ramp.

In March we arrived at 10:45 and the lot was fuller than I expected...maybe 70%? Also, we were hoping to get an accessible space...and got the next to last one.

The Haven boarding area is pretty far down the terminal. We were on the ship by 11:30 am.

We live in RI so it is also an easy drive in, however we decided to stay at a hotel close by. We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park. They have a Park, Stay, and Cruise rate where they let you park your car for the duration of the cruise at the hotel and they shuttle you to and from the terminal all included in the rate. It is slightly more for that than to just park at the pier and includes the hotel stay the night before. It is only about 10-15 minutes away from the terminal as well so it will make it easy to get there early. A few people on my role call are staying there. Others have stayed as well. There is another thread about parking options in NY that was from today that talks about this as well.

I posted in the other thread that you can park in a Newark airport park and ride and take NJ Transit to Penn Station. Then a taxi from there to cruise terminal. Cheapest option I have found. Cost for parking about $7 a day.

I posted in the other thread that you can park in a Newark airport park and ride and take NJ Transit to Penn Station. Then a taxi from there to cruise terminal. Cheapest option I have found. Cost for parking about $7 a day.
Just a few words of caution - about summer travel using Amtrak & NJT trains, in fact - all regional commuter rail lines in the metro NY area will IMPACTED by the announced major maintenance & repair work being done, with service reductions and schedule cutbacks - please, recheck and reconfirm scheduled services and allow plenty of travel time to/from ports.

Coming from EWR to/from Manhattan, the airporter buses might be a smarter choice - especially on weekends.

Frequent & periodic updates and alerts will be posted/shared as 411's on the East Coast departure sub-forum here, as they will not be ships/lines specific to caution all affected CC'ers.

Thinking I will probably drive in and park at the pier for our July cruise. The driving distance is, theoretically, only 2 hours. I hate driving in NYC--have only done it once--but it looks like a pretty short distance after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel.

I know there can always be traffic. Thinking of leaving at 7:15 a.m. or so. We will be staying in the Haven, so I would like to get there in time to beat the crowds and board as early as possible.

Any suggestions the trip in as easy as possible? With the Lincoln Tunnel, don't doesn't the lane you enter affect where what street you can exit on to?

Unless their is a major problem with the Lincoln the drive will be very easy. I live in Fort Washington and we have taken three cruises out. We usually go to NYC 3-4 times a year for day trips

See my link.......https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fort+Washington,+PA/Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal,+711+12th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10019/@40.7629848,-74.0206194,14.68z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c6bae5d792c431:0x708af9dceadc07e6!2m2!1d-75.1926937!2d40.1416782!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a151b7d5b8b:0x33e7db2f6f3ab119!2m2!1d-73.9967231!2d40.7676771

This is the exact way we go! You'll want to be in the left lanes coming out of the tunnel since you'll be making left turns. After the tunnel its...LEFT, LEFT then RIGHT into 12th ave....go straight up to 55th street. LEFT at the left, you'll sort of making a U turn. Keep to the right and watch for signs for SHIP parking. You'll then go up the ramp and pay at the booth. Continue around the booth down to pier 88? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7696732,-73.995082,3a,41.3y,222.12h,88.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPF4tGcJ5agJ_EeMNJPZN_w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DPF4tGcJ5agJ_EeMNJPZN_w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D47.920547%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I would leave no later than 7am or maybe 6:45 depending what part of the city you live it. Its always better to arrive a little early than an late. Your in the Haven so your waiting area is very nice!

Edited by Laszlo

Unless their is a major problem with the Lincoln the drive will be very easy. I live in Fort Washington and we have taken three cruises out. We usually go to NYC 3-4 times a year for day trips

See my link.......https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fort+Washington,+PA/Manhattan+Cruise+Terminal,+711+12th+Ave,+New+York,+NY+10019/@40.7629848,-74.0206194,14.68z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c6bae5d792c431:0x708af9dceadc07e6!2m2!1d-75.1926937!2d40.1416782!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a151b7d5b8b:0x33e7db2f6f3ab119!2m2!1d-73.9967231!2d40.7676771

This is the exact way we go! You'll want to be in the left lanes coming out of the tunnel since you'll be making left turns. After the tunnel its...LEFT, LEFT then RIGHT into 12th ave....go straight up to 55th street. LEFT at the left, you'll sort of making a U turn. Keep to the right and watch for signs for SHIP parking. You'll then go up the ramp and pay at the booth. Continue around the booth down to pier 88? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7696732,-73.995082,3a,41.3y,222.12h,88.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPF4tGcJ5agJ_EeMNJPZN_w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DPF4tGcJ5agJ_EeMNJPZN_w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D47.920547%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I would leave no later than 7am or maybe 6:45 depending what part of the city you live it. Its always better to arrive a little early than an late. Your in the Haven so your waiting area is very nice!

Thanks so much for the specific directions! And to everyone who is reassuring that this is do-able. I hate hate the thought of NYC driving, but I can do it for a few blocks. (Highway driving up TO the tunnel doesn't bother me--piece of cake.)

We'll consider a 6:45 departure. I don't want to be too early though. They probably won't let us through security/to the waiting area until a bit later than we'd arrive.

Out of towners driving in early on embarkation, check the ship's live webcam and/or its AIS-based tracking location around 6 or 6:30 AM - if ship is early/on-time, it should be sailing at/near/already gone under the VZ Bridge between Brooklyn & Staten Island (Lower Bay of NY) by then, sometimes already passing Statue of Liberty portside ... it's then 30 to 60 minutes to dock at the pier, depending on harbor traffic (no whales sighted this season yet)

If so and you wanted to get to Pier 88 or 90 early, it would be time to get ready and go ... if it's not, then you have plenty of time. Port security will ususally open up the checkpoints for screening by 9 AM, unless the ship is LATE (when the Gem was late recently, everyone was held until 10 AM before making our ways to the check-in area ... boarding started at noon for VIP & Platinum/Plus members, followed by CAS & others with numbered/zone cards.)

Be sure to tell the "greeters" that you are Haven guests as they are directed for the faster track to go thru security; and, once thru - ask the NCL pier reps for Haven check-in, it's typically to your left ... an exclusive lounge and waiting area set aside (at least for the Gem)

As for roof-top parking, there's plenty of parking & there's always spillover capacity at the next pier over in case they run out ... possible if there are 3 ships docked there on the same turnaround day (check the cruise terminal's schedule) as sometimes, the 3rd. or 4th ship is there just doing port of call.

Thank you! Where can we find the ship's webcam?

You have a choice of many, direct & indirect links ... here's NCL's direct webcam link

https://www.ncl.com/shipcams/bawaycam/fullsize.jpg?browser_popup=640x480

NY Haborwebcam dot com has a live view of the harbor and pan/track ships arriving & leaving, it's on the shoreline of Staten Island - plus AIS tracking data for ship traffic. (linked to Bermuda & Nassau port cams, etc.)

http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/

Mobile App (both Androids and iOS) -

Ship Mate and Marine Traffic (free or nominal fees) are useful if you cruise often ... also to look ahead for marine weather & forecast, now that we are approaching Hurricane season (above average this year per NWS)

NY's MCT rooftop pier parking discount coupon - still valid & honored this month & Roll Calls are sharing and passing usage along. If you call them by phone, you will sometimes get a different answer, print & bring it. See this link for prior discussions, for Gem sailings only, not for Breakaway or other ships. Use the coupon in post #4 - with no expiration date ... 25% off $40 daily @ $30 instead, taxes included & no surcharge for van, suv, extended cabs, etc. (82" height restrictions only)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431745&highlight=NY+parking+coupon

Edited by mking8288

I'll drive anywhere except Manhattan. We're in Mount Laurel and last year took a Greyhound bus out of Mount Laurel at Route 73 & Fellowship Roads when we did the Breakaway. It was so easy. You park at the bus terminal for free all week, take the clean & comfortable bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and the cost is $34 pp round trip. It's a 10 minute cab ride direct to the ship terminal at a cost of $7 - $8 for cab. We'll be doing this on our October Breakaway cruise. It's easy and you can't beat the cost. Enjoy your cruise.

I grew up right outside of NYC so driving there doesn't bother me. We are driving from South Jersey. Our boarding time is10-10:30. We are not in a suite or in Haven. So what happens if we arrive after 10:30? Will be able to get a parking space on the pier? This is our 5th time cruising from NYC and I really don't remember.

I grew up right outside of NYC so driving there doesn't bother me. We are driving from South Jersey. Our boarding time is10-10:30. We are not in a suite or in Haven. So what happens if we arrive after 10:30? Will be able to get a parking space on the pier? This is our 5th time cruising from NYC and I really don't remember.

Lately, vehicles sailing the Breakaway and Gem are parked above Pier 88 - and there're still plenty of parking space open around noon ... not all the disembarking pax were in a hurry and/or left drove home early, enjoying the final morning until ready to go.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170429/7ccf4cc999cc31d07130b1132feec6e0.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170429/7aafadfc31f3b08f3dc79b5a2dfc2c19.jpg

Plus, spillover at Pier 90 - tons, tons of empty parking space, in the unlikely event of Pier 88 being 100% full.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4wpqjrmer69rnh/P9220053.JPG?dl=0

If you aren't in a suite or Haven, parking is the same - then just take the giant elevators down, with luggage (we always used porter's services ... never fun to drag our rollerboards, just 22" sized, to go up those long "Z" ramps & walk all over the ship until our stateroom is ready) and then thru security, get a boarding card #, and do your check-in. Remember to ask for the short health questionnaire & fill that out while standing in line/waiting ... have a pen ready.

The "check-in" time has yet to be checked nor enforced, it's fine if you arrive earlier than scheduled. If you've already downloaded the free NCL iConcierge App, you should be able to connect to the ship's free WiFi inTRAnet, register & activate ... useful to review & book specialty dining, manage one's Onboard Account, etc. More details here.

Thanks so much for the specific directions! And to everyone who is reassuring that this is do-able. I hate hate the thought of NYC driving, but I can do it for a few blocks. (Highway driving up TO the tunnel doesn't bother me--piece of cake.)

We'll consider a 6:45 departure. I don't want to be too early though. They probably won't let us through security/to the waiting area until a bit later than we'd arrive.

You can just hang out in the roof top parking area:'). My wife and I did that on our second cruise out. I was a Sunday morning and traffic was very light. We made it up in less than 90 minutes. We arrived and parked at 8:30am. Luckily secruity just came on

You should have a chance to pull over and drop your bags and passengers by the large elevator

You can just hang out in the roof top parking area:'). My wife and I did that on our second cruise out. I was a Sunday morning and traffic was very light. We made it up in less than 90 minutes. We arrived and parked at 8:30am. Luckily secruity just came on

You should have a chance to pull over and drop your bags and passengers by the large elevator

We have never been allowed to do this! Maybe they see our fami,y of 7 and our pile of luggage...

We live north of Philly and drive to Bethlehem and hop on the Trans Bridge bus. Easy, relaxing, inexpensive and takes you right to the pier. Also picks you up at the pier.

Manhattan is almost the same amount of miles from Philadelphia as Bethlehem is.

I'll drive anywhere except Manhattan. We're in Mount Laurel and last year took a Greyhound bus out of Mount Laurel at Route 73 & Fellowship Roads when we did the Breakaway. It was so easy. You park at the bus terminal for free all week, take the clean & comfortable bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and the cost is $34 pp round trip. It's a 10 minute cab ride direct to the ship terminal at a cost of $7 - $8 for cab. We'll be doing this on our October Breakaway cruise. It's easy and you can't beat the cost. Enjoy your cruise.

This is exactly what I do as well. 80 minutes or so on the bus only. I take a cab or get a ride to the bus station - with the savings of not driving and parking in NYC I usually go the day before as well.

I live about 30 minutes from the bus terminal (could get a "Bolt Bus," so would need a ride. Plus then we'd have to get a cab with a big enough trunk to manage 4 people's luggage. With all of that in mind, I figured driving would be the simplest (I do think I'll be stressed driving through the tunnel and in Manattan--it will be short-lived, though.)

We live in RI so it is also an easy drive in, however we decided to stay at a hotel close by. We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park. They have a Park, Stay, and Cruise rate where they let you park your car for the duration of the cruise at the hotel and they shuttle you to and from the terminal all included in the rate. It is slightly more for that than to just park at the pier and includes the hotel stay the night before. It is only about 10-15 minutes away from the terminal as well so it will make it easy to get there early. A few people on my role call are staying there. Others have stayed as well. There is another thread about parking options in NY that was from today that talks about this as well.

Hi Belly.... is the shuttle still part of the "package"? I was reading elsewhere and people are mentioning that Hilton Garden changed the program and you are responsible to obtain a car service to get you from hotel to pier and back..... TIA

Hi Belly.... is the shuttle still part of the "package"? I was reading elsewhere and people are mentioning that Hilton Garden changed the program and you are responsible to obtain a car service to get you from hotel to pier and back..... TIA
http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/hilton-garden-inn-ridgefield-park-LGARPGI/offers/100077011.htm