Your opinion- Best white wines by the glass in Classic Package

tartana

I am by no means a fussy wine drinker, but I do like a couple glasses of white with dinner that would be included in my Classic Package- a lighter wine that is not very sweet or too acidic. (I like Pinot Grigio and do not care for Chardonnay typically). I'm just wondering if anyone who has been dining in the MDR lately would have any recommendations that I should ask for? I will be on Silhouette. This isn't a big deal, but I just thought someone may have some tried and true good ones for me to try :) Thanks!

There aren't many choices. Just ask the wine pourer what is available, and pick one or tell them what you like either way they will pour a sample in the wine glass for your approval. If it is something you like then tell them. If not ask for something sweeter or dryer. They don't care. You also have a package. You aren't charged any extra or stuck with anything. You don't have to finish drinking the whole glass either.

You have a lot of freedom. For anyone to try and recommend anything is rather hard as the choices seem to constantly change.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍷🍹

There aren't many choices. Just ask the wine pourer what is available, and pick one or tell them what you like either way they will pour a sample in the wine glass for your approval. If it is something you like then tell them. If not ask for something sweeter or dryer. They don't care. You also have a package. You aren't charged any extra or stuck with anything. You don't have to finish drinking the whole glass either.

You have a lot of freedom. For anyone to try and recommend anything is rather hard as the choices seem to constantly change.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍷🍹

This is the answer. Just tell them you want a medium bodied, medium dry white wine and ask what they have. The winemaker has a far greater influence on the flavor of a wine than the grape, and a California chardonnay is not at all like an Australian chardonnay and completely different from a French chardonnay.

At the price ranges on the ships (and you have a package, right?), I really wouldn't pay much if any attention to the varietal of the grape and just try some things until you find one you like. And the wine choices will change.

The Op didn't want too acidic so that rules out Sauvignon Blanc and should rule out liking Pinot Grigio so maybe it's not acid that you don't like. If you have the package try a few things.

Hey Cruise Junky - Are there some types of white wine that aren't typically as acidic? It's a heartburn thing with me - too much citrus kills me as well. With wines, I figured maybe higher quality ones were better for that than others. But I have had cheap ones that seem to be okay??? lol

I'm wondering. If Chardonnay LaCrema is available with the premium package

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't know about the Chardonnay but the LaCreama Pinot Noir is just above Premium package.

FWIW, grape grown in a colder weather climate especially where the nights are cool during ripening season tend to be more acidic (tartaric acrid which you can see precipitating as crystals in some white wines).

A California or Australian chardonnay, to continue the example given earlier is more likely to be less acidic than a French (which is almost by definition Burgundy) or say a Canadian chardonnay (tends to be more acidic hence crisp).

Gewurztraminers and Rieslings are cool weather grapes. Something from the west coast U.S. is likely to be sweeter and less crisp than one from Germany, eastern France (i.e., Alsace) or. again, Canada.

Hey Cruise Junky - Are there some types of white wine that aren't typically as acidic? It's a heartburn thing with me - too much citrus kills me as well. With wines, I figured maybe higher quality ones were better for that than others. But I have had cheap ones that seem to be okay??? lol

Go for a warmer climate. Natural acidity comes from colder climates. Pinot Gris will always be less acidic than Pinot Grigio. Same grape but picked later and usually grown in warmer climates. Chardonnay from Chablis...cool will be a different creature than a chard from California. If you don't like acid look to Australia (stay away from AU Rieslings), Chile, California. Some Washington State Rieslings are great

FWIW, grape grown in a colder weather climate especially where the nights are cool during ripening season tend to be more acidic (tartaric acrid which you can see precipitating as crystals in some white wines).

A California or Australian chardonnay, to continue the example given earlier is more likely to be less acidic than a French (which is almost by definition Burgundy) or say a Canadian chardonnay (tends to be more acidic hence crisp).

Gewurztraminers and Rieslings are cool weather grapes. Something from the west coast U.S. is likely to be sweeter and less crisp than one from Germany, eastern France (i.e., Alsace) or. again, Canada.

There's is so much of this that I could comment on but I don't want to write a book. Malic acid is what gives wine it's crispness hence...malolactic fermentation that some producers do with their wine to calm the acidity. Converting malic acid into lactic acid. Tartrates are the little crystals that can be found in sparkling.

Any one notice if they have any Rieslings or Gewürz?

I tend to prefer these if they have any spicy or curry dishes on the menu.

Yes on the riesling. Altho it was a little too sweet for my taste. I think it was St Michelle. I talked to the sommelier who offered me a couple others not on the classic mdr menu. As mentioned, he was very helpful. And because we were traditional seating, we made friends with him and he was ready every evening with some decent choices for me.

No gewurz tho.

Great info thanks. We don't have traditional dining but we will go at approximately the same time every night (between the two traditional times works better for us). Will there still be a sommelier to talk to? Last summer my mom and I sailed in Yacht Club on MSC and they had one red and one white and something sparkling at dinner each night. The sommelier would come over and recommend based on your dinner choices. I tried all sorts of new things, so I wouldn't mind having someone make recommendations based on what I can get on the classic package!