MDR collar dress code

It is your vacation, wear what you want. What you wear to the dining room is not going to change the taste of my food at all.

It's not as if Carnival would do anything about it anyway.

Elegant night might be a problem with no collar, from what I've seen it depends on the ship.

But Carnival is pretty lax and you should be fine with a nice shirt as long as it has sleeves.

It is not the collar that is important on elegant night. It is just looking nice.

DH wears a Mexican wedding shirt which is embroidered with some pleats but no collar.

Most folks just dress a little nicer than normal. I have only seen men in shorts turned away on elegant night but not men wearing long pants with shirts that have no collar!!

Carnival is very informal.

I thought shorts were acceptable as long as they are like nice khaki or dress. Assuming no cargo shorts

They are, except for "elegant" night. However, depending on the ship and staff will dictate if can enter the MDR with certain clothing items.

If you want the totally casual look, cruise on NCL where I have witnessed multi generational families with granddad in jean shorts and a baseball cap with his son in the same outfit, but his cap was backwards. And, this was in their specialty steakhouse

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

From how folks have described it, I suspect the specifics of the rule would only be invoked if the overall effect of what you're wearing is problematic. So if a man comes in with a tank top and gym shorts perhaps the specifics of the dress code are going to be cited while if he comes in with nehru dress shirt and nice new Bermuda shorts perhaps those specifics are not going to matter.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

From how folks have described it, I suspect the specifics of the rule would only be invoked if the overall effect of what you're wearing is problematic. So if a man comes in with a tank top and gym shorts perhaps the specifics of the dress code are going to be cited while if he comes in with nehru dress shirt and nice new Bermuda shorts perhaps those specifics are not going to matter.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Yes, fitting with the spirit is the reality; not adhering to the letter. Good call.

It's not complicated!

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

It's not complicated!

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

It must be complicated because what is in print means absolutely nothing because it isn't consistently enforced . On my last cruise on the Dream on Elegant night there were 2 guys at the next table with baseball caps (tags still attached - I guess that was in fashion) in the dining room and they wore them throughout the meal. It didn't affect my meal but I did notice them.

They are pickier about shorts than they are about collared shirts. Our friend almost didn't get to eat in the dining room on elegant night when he showed up in shorts (he didn't bring any pants). The maitre'd finally let him in at our insistence (we were a party of 6), stating loudly that if you have lost your luggage, there is nothing you can do about it.

It must be complicated because what is in print means absolutely nothing because it isn't consistently enforced .
'A' doesn't actually imply 'B'. It is normal for rules in commercial circumstances to be grounded in a reasonable expectation that customers will voluntarily comply. The need for enforcement is not established solely by the existence of rules. The need for enforcement stems from a safety need, or from a sufficient financial incentive.