Prices seem all over the place

amyhphoto

I made a last minute decision to take my 2 children on a girls trip Aug 05 or 06 for a week on a cruise in the Caribbean. We live in South Florida so were close to all of the florida ports. Im kinda new at this and am very confused by the pricing. It seems like first of all the prices are exactly the same on the cruise line website as they end up being on the travel agency sites. (after you get past the shockingly inaccurate low low price offers) What is the benefit of booking on one site vs the other if all of the prices are identical? Maybe Im missing something. Secondly the prices seem to go up and down daily, is there a point where the prices are the least expensive/most expensive? Since its last minute I feel like I am gambling and Im kind of stuck and not knowing which cruise to pick in case the more expensive ones drop in price and Ill regret booking the less expensive one.

Thank you for any help, I hope this makes sense.

As far as the cruise website vs TA; some cruise lines are deeply discounted, legitimately by certain TAs, but most are not. Carnival, NCL, and royal are not typically discounted as far as I can tell. Most of what you would get from a TA is if they are advertising on board credit or a free shore excursion.

As far as the second point, yes, prices change daily. In my experience they tend to be cheapest a year+ out for early early bookers. They also tend to drop after final payment date (think you are already past that) because that's the point they can put the cruise on sale but not re-price the bookings they already have. For you, from here on out it just depends on how well it's selling; if it's selling well priced will go up, if it isn't selling prices will keep dropping. Best thing you can do is search until you find a cruise you want at a price you want to pay. Book it and then don't check prices again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I made a last minute decision to take my 2 children on a girls trip Aug 05 or 06 for a week on a cruise in the Caribbean. We live in South Florida so were close to all of the florida ports. Im kinda new at this and am very confused by the pricing. It seems like first of all the prices are exactly the same on the cruise line website as they end up being on the travel agency sites. (after you get past the shockingly inaccurate low low price offers) What is the benefit of booking on one site vs the other if all of the prices are identical? Maybe Im missing something. Secondly the prices seem to go up and down daily, is there a point where the prices are the least expensive/most expensive? Since its last minute I feel like I am gambling and Im kind of stuck and not knowing which cruise to pick in case the more expensive ones drop in price and Ill regret booking the less expensive one.

Thank you for any help, I hope this makes sense.

If you can afford it - take the cruise that best suite you and your children. You all will have a great time. Some of the cruise lines have great activities for kids (don't know their ages) Also remember if the passengers are you and your two children you most likely will have to pay the full rate for one of your children and maybe a discount for the second one. Go to the family cruising board for lots of info for family. If you keep check prices you will eventually drive yourself crazy checking. Find one that you feel the price is fair and it suits your family. Since it is after final payment by now it will be what it is. I hope you have a great time!

Quite a few cruise lines impose price controls which do not allow cruise/travel agents to advertise lower fares. But sometimes there are lower fares which are only available to those who register with the agency (this is free) or who give an agency a phone call. Also keep in mind it is not just about the cruise price. There are other possible discounts such as generous On Board Credits (OBCs), pre-paid gratuities, free meals in alternative restaurants, etc. An On Board Credit is akin to somebody giving you cash. It is money added to your onboard account which you can spend for just about anything aboard.

Hank

Choose the cruise that best meets your needs and those of your kids. Pay the fee and then don't explore prices further! You will be happier that way!

Use a TA for the (probable) extras he/she may offer you. A good TA is a treasure!

Have a great time with your girls!

The best price is the one you are willing to pay...

We always find the best rates directly from the cruise lines, not to mention the reservation and what not are really simple if done this way. Used a TA once. Not only was it was a hassle but we ended up paying more.

Generally speaking, the rates are better the further out you plan. If you're going in August(6 weeks?) then you'd be best to reserve now, right now. Closer to the date and not only may the price go up, but the cruise may sell out.