Carnival shops onboard - good deals or not?

Carpe-Diem

I need a new GoPro and I noticed they usually have a sale one day onboard. Does anyone know what they usually charge? I'm trying to figure out if it's going to actually save me money to buy one on the ship.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I was looking to get one as well on my June 3rd Elation cruise. I checked the prices before I went, and the price point was $399.

When I got onboard they were also $399, and would have no tax. I asked if there would be a sale, and the photo guy was up front and said no for the GoPro itself, but they would have a sale on accessories.

Sure enough on day 4 of our 5 day cruise they had a sale on accessories ( which I have no idea if it was good or not, because I have yet to research all the mounts I want).

Interesting tidbit, I did not buy from Carnival, because I was still thinking on it. When I got home the next day Amazon had it on sale for $349, because apparently the price point has gone down. I also managed to find a seller that was eating the tax cost. So I paid $349 for mine, free 2 day shipping, and no tax.

Now I just need to figure out what mounts I need for everything I want to do with it. Happy shopping!

IMO, the biggest savings on any big ticket item, watches, jewelry, cameras, etc., are taxes and shipping costs, if ordering on line. But taxes vary by locality. If you live in Alaska,Oregon, Montana, or New Hampshire you don't pay any sales tax. If you live in NYC or Los Angeles, you might pay around $35 in sales taxes. Most other places are in between. $10 and $25 in state and local sales taxes. Shipping costs are dependent upon the on-line shopping site. Amazon Prime is usually free, WalMart and other big box stores have free shipping if you pick up in local store.

But if you really want a specific item and you've researched it thoroughly, you should probably go ahead and buy from home versus the ship. You don't know what may or may not be available on a ship and jewelry and watches bought on board (and in those fleece-you shops in port) tend to get more complaints about quality after the fact.

Be careful with jewelry purchases. The jewelry is generally good quality, but Carnival will report what you spent to Customs. And they will pull you out of line. And make you declare it. And make you pay taxes on it. That may or may not have happened to me once or twice.....

However, if you buy at Colombian Emeralds or Diamonds International IN PORT, Customs at home has no idea what you bought or spent. Just sayin'!

If you're looking for a bargain, you likely won't get one. However, as mentioned you won't pay tax. I had bought a GoPro and accessories just before my cruise and most of the things I purchased were also on board. Might have saved a few dollars in tax, but other than that everything was list price.

There's always the option of getting a wifi plan and doing some online comparisons before purchasing.

Be careful with jewelry purchases. The jewelry is generally good quality, but Carnival will report what you spent to Customs. And they will pull you out of line. And make you declare it. And make you pay taxes on it. That may or may not have happened to me once or twice.....

However, if you buy at Colombian Emeralds or Diamonds International IN PORT, Customs at home has no idea what you bought or spent. Just sayin'!

When we bought at Diamonds International in port, they asked for our ship and cabin number. When it was time to declare I really was unsure if it was reported to Customs or not. So I went ahead a claimed it, they were generally nice and looked for every avenue to reduce the taxes.

Diamonds international most definitely reports your purchase,happened to us two weeks ago on the sunshine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Simple fix, don't give them your ship or cabin number, or make one up. Tell them cabin # 13245. We all know that will never be an actual cabin number on Carnival!!:cool::cool:

We bought a lovely tennis bracelet at Diamonds International, but when two stones fell out (one onboard and one on the way home), we had a long, long struggle to return it. We even had the stones that had fallen out. Everyone says it's easy to do, but after that multi-month, multi-department-transferring, and multi-letter process, with an even longer hold on our credit card, we will stick with local jewelers.

Your mileage may vary.

Have a great cruise!

Didn't know that about jewelry and customs on a ship. Thanks for the heads up.

Actually, they list they prepare for Customs is not just for jewelry purchases. If you buy junk in the shops or spa products the sales will be reported.

Check prices on Invicta on Evine before you sail and check prices on Le Vian at Macy's. With many of the Macy's sales + coupon deals, the LeVian is cheaper on land, even with the sales tax. DH surprised me with a $1200 LeVian necklace for our anniversary that he bought onboard while I was at the spa. When we got home I saw it in a Macy's ad for $600 + a 25% off coupon. I didn't have the heart to tell him he got taken big time!

Had lost a lot of weight before last cruise. Tried swimming suits on about 2 months out. Never thought about them again.

Got to hotel 2 days before cruise and did not use the swimming pool til Friday. Realized that night I might have issues. Looked at suites and they were over $100

2nd day of cruise went into shop and actually found a very nice fitting suit for $57. Bought it. Amazed by the price.

It all depends on what you are shopping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, they list they prepare for Customs is not just for jewelry purchases. If you buy junk in the shops or spa products the sales will be reported.

Check prices on Invicta on Evine before you sail and check prices on Le Vian at Macy's. With many of the Macy's sales + coupon deals, the LeVian is cheaper on land, even with the sales tax. DH surprised me with a $1200 LeVian necklace for our anniversary that he bought onboard while I was at the spa. When we got home I saw it in a Macy's ad for $600 + a 25% off coupon. I didn't have the heart to tell him he got taken big time!

You have something way more valuable than the money he could have saved at Macy's.....you have a souvenir of your trip and an memento showing how much he cares.

But, yes, if it's a brand name.....for sure there's no bargain on a cruise ship.

For your go pro, check dealsofamerica.com at least twice a week for at least two months prior to cruise. This way you have a benchmark. If you find a better deal on ship (doubt it) buy it. Otherwise, visit dealsofamerica again when you return to land.

I need a new GoPro and I noticed they usually have a sale one day onboard. Does anyone know what they usually charge? I'm trying to figure out if it's going to actually save me money to buy one on the ship.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You will not get a good deal on anything on a ship.