Passport Information

Do I need to carry my passport with me when I leave the ship?

Or would it be OK to just carry a copy of it?

For starters, let's decide on a copy of it.....A copy is worthless and does nothing for you other than simplifying a process of knowing what your info is. It is not a legal document.

The answer is do you carry it. Some countries it is "required" that you have your passport on you at all time. Examples would be maybe a Baltic cruise, or Asian cruise, or a cruise to Cuba. When I say required, I mean it's the "law" in some nations. It is your official ID!

Now in Caribbean nations, other than Cuba, the answer is no, you don't need it in your possession, but on the other hand, it is a good idea to have it on you. You need to know what the local rules are and your comfort level of leaving your ID behind.

For starters, let's decide on a copy of it.....A copy is worthless and does nothing for you other than simplifying a process of knowing what your info is. It is not a legal document.

The answer is do you carry it. Some countries it is "required" that you have your passport on you at all time. Examples would be maybe a Baltic cruise, or Asian cruise, or a cruise to Cuba. When I say required, I mean it's the "law" in some nations. It is your official ID!

Now in Caribbean nations, other than Cuba, the answer is no, you don't need it in your possession, but on the other hand, it is a good idea to have it on you. You need to know what the local rules are and your comfort level of leaving your ID behind.

IMHO, that's a pretty major overstatement.

Sure, you can't cross a border with a copy of your passport.

But a copy of it, including a digital copy on your phone, can be used to rapidly re-issue one if you need it. And when ashore, other than a handful of ports throughout the world, the only time you need a passport is if you are forced to stay on the island with no chance to recover your passport from the ship. When that happens, you head to the nearest US consulate, and with a copy (either paper or digital), they can rapidly re-issue a passport to you.

The point about most ports accepting the government issue ID as your ID is spot on- so unless you are going to any of the handful of ports that require a VISA to enter (which requires a Passport to go with it), the driver's licence or other ID is a better choice.

Just goes to your risk tolerance. 99.9% of the time there is no reason to bring your passport off the ship, however if anything goes sideways it makes getting back home so much easier.

Its a little overkill with cruises but I do register my trip with the state department anytime I leave the country.

IMHO, that's a pretty major overstatement.

Sure, you can't cross a border with a copy of your passport.

But a copy of it, including a digital copy on your phone, can be used to rapidly re-issue one if you need it. And when ashore, other than a handful of ports throughout the world, the only time you need a passport is if you are forced to stay on the island with no chance to recover your passport from the ship. When that happens, you head to the nearest US consulate, and with a copy (either paper or digital), they can rapidly re-issue a passport to you.

A copy does not change how rapid a reissue is but rather it just helps them to review it faster.

According to French law, which is a country that does not require a VISA, it is stated that any police officer can ask for identification that authorizes their visit to France and it must be produced. Kindly point out one of the islands belong to France. Every country has their own rules. I personally don't bother looking up each country I visit. I just play it safe.

The point about most ports accepting the government issue ID as your ID is spot on- so unless you are going to any of the handful of ports that require a VISA to enter (which requires a Passport to go with it), the driver's licence or other ID is a better choice.

In the year, and in the next year, I will visit at least 4 countries I know I need to carry my passport. Unless I plan on doing a snorkeling excursion on a boat, and will be on the water all day, I will carry my passport. If it is anyplace other than the Caribbean Islands, I will carry my passport. I was once on a bus tour, where the bus was stopped, and everyone was asked to show their passport. I don't know why, just know, when a person asks, the answer is they should have it.

In my experiences, there have only been 2 times when I've had to carry my passport when leaving the ship. Once was in Skagway, Alaska when we did a shore excursion that entered into Canada, and the other was in St. Petersburg, Russia, where everyone has to go through immigration each time you get on/off the ship. I'm sure there are other ports around the world that require you to take your passport as well. If you are going to the Caribbean I can't recall ever needing to take my passport with me when going ashore.

In my experiences, there have only been 2 times when I've had to carry my passport when leaving the ship. Once was in Skagway, Alaska when we did a shore excursion that entered into Canada, and the other was in St. Petersburg, Russia, where everyone has to go through immigration each time you get on/off the ship. I'm sure there are other ports around the world that require you to take your passport as well. If you are going to the Caribbean I can't recall ever needing to take my passport with me when going ashore.

This is my exact same experience also.

OP....Your passports are an extremely sought after commodity in many countries and or places...don't take the chance of it ending up in someone else's hands. Take a copy only when you have the option and leave the real one in your onboard safe.

The reason some people don't carry it is the risk of pick pockets and losing it. There are also times when you have to turn in your passport when you are on the ship and it might be days before it is returned. I seem to remember the ship took our passports before we got to Ireland (or was it France, can't remenber). We also had to give them our passports before we arrived in Chile. So in some cases you don't even have your passport when you are visiting a port. We always carry a copy of our passport. Also leave a copy at home on the counter with our itinerary and list of cc #s, insurance info, etc in case things get lost or stolen our neighbor who checks on the house can easily supply needed info in case of emergency. And yes we carry that list with us but separate from our other docs.

A copy does not change how rapid a reissue is but rather it just helps them to review it faster.

Seems like being able to review it faster has a direct impact on how rapid it can be re-issued.

Other than that, I agree that one should know what country you will need it.

But I generally play it safe on the other side- given the alternative that you could get pick-pocketed- and lose your passport, which may put the rest of your vacation in jeopardy. Heck, it just happened to a poster here. I know I'm far more likely to get pick pocketed than questioned by the police. One has to balance the risk one wished to take.

Do I need to carry my passport with me when I leave the ship?

Or would it be OK to just carry a copy of it?

On our Freedom cruise 4-11 june our 3 Italian ports it stated you need your passport in the cruise compass and i knew by previous experience this was not the case so i carried our A4 photocopied passport details with us.

We were never asked to show our passport going out the terminal or coming back and considering Rome and Naples were 2 of the ports where pickpockets are rife it is risky taking your passport off the ship.

Definitely ST Petersburg Russia because they stamped our passport.

I don't set foot into another country without my passport. You never know what might happen to prevent you from getting back to the ship. Then you are in a country without proper ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Dubai your passport is taken at check in then you collect it onboard before you get off in Abu Dhabi.

In the terminal in Abu Dhabi they take your passport again then you get it back on the last night of the cruise on the ship.

In February on Vision they set up stations on each deck at a designated time and 1 member of your cabin could go and collect all your passports.

We always carry passports with us just in case.

I know we can make a copy, but we feel safer having it.

Personal choice if it suits you.

A lot of ports we wear little jewelry and never take passports because muggings and pickpockets are rife.

I don't set foot into another country without my passport. You never know what might happen to prevent you from getting back to the ship. Then you are in a country without proper ID.

I have always brought my passport, too. But the more I think about it, if it's not required, I may leave it on the ship. You could have it stolen or lose it off the ship vs. an issue getting back to the ship. That's the calculation, right? But if I don't get back to the ship, I still have my wallet/ID/money, etc. More importantly, I know my passport is on the ship in the safe and cruise line will be able to get it to me ASAP. At least it's not lost or stolen, and I end up with a different vacation hanging out on an island for an extra day or two. I can deal with that.

But then on the flip side, if your passport is lost or stolen, you'll still get back on the ship (since they don't ask for it) and get back to the States. At which time you'll have to deal with it there. But at least you are in the States...

Hmm.... Am I missing anything here? Now I can't decide if I should leave it or take it on shore...

There seems to be a lot of concern about passport theft or loss. Which is more likely? Needing to show your passport in a foreign country or losing it walking around?

I guess I'll never cruise to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Being without access to my passport? No way

The ship keeps them because you have entry and exit stamps from Dubai,Abu Dhabi and Oman in them when you get your passports back.

We have done this cruise twice on Brilliance and once on Vision this February with no problems.

There seems to be a lot of concern about passport theft or loss. Which is more likely? Needing to show your passport in a foreign country or losing it walking around?

IMO after 45 cruises we always leave passports in cabin safe as losing or theft is much more likely.

If you need your passport then you will know when getting off ship then you just go back and get it.

I guess I'll never cruise to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Being without access to my passport? No way

Not just the Dubai cruises certain Med cruises they will hold your passport as well. This happened to me on an Eastern Med cruise where one of the ports was Kusadasi, Turkey. I was told this was why we had to turn them over as we boarded. I've done other Med cruises and have not had my passport held. I don't like being without mine either but sometimes you've got no choice.

IMO after 45 cruises we always leave passports in cabin safe as losing or theft is much more likely.

If you need your passport then you will know when getting off ship then you just go back and get it.

100% agree.

Not just the Dubai cruises certain Med cruises they will hold your passport as well. This happened to me on an Eastern Med cruise where one of the ports was Kusadasi, Turkey. I was told this was why we had to turn them over as we boarded. I've done other Med cruises and have not had my passport held. I don't like being without mine either but sometimes you've got no choice.

Turkey is off limits this year.

We have been to Kusadasi 5 times and never had to show passport nor was it kept