Texting app

rskt

What app does everyone suggest for texting while on board? We will be on the Allure and have purchased Voom, but will only be able to use wifi for texting, as using our cell data would cost a fortune... I want to be able to communicate with my hub and kids (who will be on board as well). Not worried about communicating with anyone off the ship :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Facebook messenger and or Whats App are the 2 I've used over WiFi. Can also make calls too... Worked very well for us. Leaving the phone in Air Plane mode and only turning on WiFi... No issues...

I'll download WhatsApp then. My kids aren't allowed to have Facebook lol

What app does everyone suggest for texting while on board? We will be on the Allure and have purchased Voom, but will only be able to use wifi for texting, as using our cell data would cost a fortune... I want to be able to communicate with my hub and kids (who will be on board as well). Not worried about communicating with anyone off the ship :)

Do you have an iPhone? texting works over wifi if you keep the phones in airplane mode.

Do you have an iPhone? texting works over wifi if you keep the phones in airplane mode.

Yes, we have iPhones! So iMessage will work even in airplane mode? I didn't know that! I thought iMessages still used phone data/info!

Yes, we have iPhones! So iMessage will work even in airplane mode? I didn't know that! I thought iMessages still used phone data/info!

iMessage uses internet data, whether by cellular or WiFi.

If your iPhone has wifi calling and your carrier supports it, you can also send regular SMS texts over wifi, meaning you can also text non iPhones.

How do I know if my phone has wifi calling?

You can even use Facetime with your iPhone (to call anywhere in the world, not just family aboard the ship).

But don't you have to have cell service to FaceTime? I've read somewhere that you have no service while at sea?

But don't you have to have cell service to FaceTime? I've read somewhere that you have no service while at sea?

Facetime requires internet access, either from WiFi or cellular, though it's performance over cellular can be degraded.

We will be on the Allure and have purchased Voom,

Did you buy one device or more? While you could make it work with a one device package (any number of devices can use Wifi but only one at a time) - the logistics of it making it work could get difficult. Before you decide to buy a multiple device VOOM package, you may want to weigh the costs. If you will only text a few times per day, even at 50 cents per, it might be cheaper to simply use your built in phone texting over cell (while still having data off).

We are a mixed phone family. So that is why I suggested the 2 apps. Samsung messenger is just like the iMessage but only the Samsung phones would receive the texts. And vice versa.

If all the phones have WiFi calling enabled, no apps are needed.

If all the phones have WiFi calling enabled, no apps are needed.

Yeah, we tried it. But the Iphones wouldn't get the galaxy texts and vice versa.. Maybe it was a setting we missed. Took 2 seconds to add the app and it all worked...

You need to make sure you have iMessages turned "on" - which admittedly doesn't make a whole lot of sense because if you are using the app you'd assume it was on, right? You can tell whether or not it's set up by looking to see if the messages you send each other are blue. If the messages you send each other are green, you need to go into settings on the iPhone and turn the toggle for iMessages to on. When it's off, iMessages just acts like regular old texting (SMS) using cellular.

Texts using Cellular = green

Texts using Wifi = blue

When you text a non-iPhone user, they will always be green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhatsAp works great! Used it when I went solo on Empress. Was able to call/text my husband the entire weekend.