Airport security returning home to the u.s.

Mura

We didn't have any issues at CDG in Paris, we did have to show our passports again before entering the international departure area and the custom official seemed more annoyed than anything when I walked up to the counter with my wife.

Upon arrival at IAD in DC, there were no hang-ups either, the custom official just assumed the $1700 I claimed was for my wife's newly bought LV bag and I mentioned I also had ~$350 in Cuban cigars.

He just said "Welcome Home" which actually warmed the cockles of my heart and sounded great after a long journey.

Maybe the fact Senator John McCain and a few other congressman I didn't recognize were on the flight (with some Air Marshals I'm sure) had something to do with it!

+1 Paul ... and also you, St Paul Girl.

There are many differences amongst us, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss issues politely.

Although I also agree -- this is probably not the venue for that!

Mura

A little consideration would be appreciated.

The only problem today is that you have a president who acts very rudely on the net(twitter), so people believe that they should follow his example.

:confused:

Sorry, but I have very little consideration for rudeness on twitter whether it be by our president or those who believe they "should follow his example"

The old adage applies here - If he jumps off the bridge you should follow? :D

YMMV

Edited by Paulchili

A little consideration would be appreciated.

The only problem today is that you have a president who acts very rudely on the net(twitter), so people believe that they should follow his example.

We should all try and be more civil with each other whether on the net or in person. Respect for other person's beliefs!

Rudeness on the Internet started long before the current administation or even the last two administrations. The last congenial time for the Internet was back when it was still a DARPA project called Bitnet, a precursor to todays internet.

:confused:

Sorry, but I have very little consideration for rudeness on twitter whether it be by our president or those who believe they "should follow his example"

The old adage applies here - If he jumps off the bridge you should follow? :D

YMMV

Agree there is no place for rudeness anywhere, but is is your opinion if the president is rude or not. Quite a few people would not agree with you. Think we should leave politics out of this or this thread will be taken down. Have a nice day. :):)

Agree there is no place for rudeness anywhere, but is is your opinion if the president is rude or not. Quite a few people would not agree with you. Think we should leave politics out of this or this thread will be taken down. Have a nice day. :):)

I would imagine that throwing people publicly under a bus, rather than dealing with them face-to-face, would be universally considered rude. This is despite any political biases or registrations.

But like he said during the campaign, he could start shooting people on Fifth Avenue and his supporters would still support him.

.. but is is your opinion if the president is rude or not. Quite a few people would not agree with you.

Actually, I didn't bring this up at all - I was simply responding to and quoting St Paul Girl - see her post # 100.

But since you are bringing it up again, I do think that many of his posts ARE rude and I am pretty sure that more people will agree with me than disagree regarding this.

That said, I do agree that we should leave politics out of this forum.

I would imagine that throwing people publicly under a bus, rather than dealing with them face-to-face, would be universally considered rude. This is despite any political biases or registrations.

But like he said during the campaign, he could start shooting people on Fifth Avenue and his supporters would still support him.

I think that this is a big problem we have in society today. We do not deal with most people face to face. Including our friends. Between twitter, e mail, texting, ect. there is no face to face anymore. This forum is the same way. Things could be much better if we would actually talk to each other rather than text or use all the other forms of social media. Pick up a phone and discuss the issues. Could have a much better outcome. No politics, just a dose of good common sense. I think most of us still have it.

I think that this is a big problem we have in society today. We do not deal with most people face to face. Including our friends. Between twitter, e mail, texting, ect. there is no face to face anymore. This forum is the same way. Things could be much better if we would actually talk to each other rather than text or use all the other forms of social media. Pick up a phone and discuss the issues. Could have a much better outcome. No politics, just a dose of good common sense. I think most of us still have it.

I'm not sure Cruise Critic would work if we had to pick up the phone and hold conference calls.

I was referring to the certain twit - erer who you (I believe) said that not everyone would consider is rude in his tweets. I would posit that anyone who doesn't think he is rude in that regard lacks a certain moral compass and sense of decency.

Dealing with personnel issues publicly is rather different than posting on a travel blog.

I'm not sure Cruise Critic would work if we had to pick up the phone and hold conference calls.

I was referring to the certain twit - erer who you (I believe) said that not everyone would consider is rude in his tweets. I would posit that anyone who doesn't think he is rude in that regard lacks a certain moral compass and sense of decency.

Dealing with personnel issues publicly is rather different than posting on a travel blog.

So why are we discussing this on a travel blog?

Asks the guy who posts about a "sorely missed" Fox News serial molester.

Sorry, have no idea what you are talking about. Have never seen a post about Fox News on this thread.

I have absolutely no problem with security but I have problems with officials from another country in my country.

Americans should do their job in America and Europeans in Europe.

Then I respectfully suggest you discuss this issue with your own government which has obviously approved of it.

• 2 weeks later...
So why are we discussing this on a travel blog?

You are so right! I went to this thread because I was interested in the topic and was going to leave after reading the posts (until I saw yours). I know that there is enhanced security when leaving some countries when you are headed for the U.S. and there was (is?) some type of laptop/ban from certain Middle Eastern countries (think that this has been resolved).

Maybe it is your lack of moral compass and your sense of decency. I guess you just like fake news and find that the truth hurts. Good luck.

Thursday at LHR there were random full security checks of carryons when entering the secured area of our gate. Table set up that could handle 3 passengers at a time.

The random security checks of carry-ons has been going for for quite some time at LHR but it is possible that they have increased the number of inspections. I welcome enhanced security but get a bit frustrated when you get off of a flight at LHR - go to another gate in the same terminal (never leaving security) and you still have to go through x-ray and random security checks again.

The random security checks of carry-ons has been going for for quite some time at LHR but it is possible that they have increased the number of inspections. I welcome enhanced security but get a bit frustrated when you get off of a flight at LHR - go to another gate in the same terminal (never leaving security) and you still have to go through x-ray and random security checks again.

I agree to the frustration, but with all the terror problems there these extra checks can only make me feel safer. Maybe it is only a false of safety but it is O.K. with me.

On a flight from Seattle to Toronto on Air Canada last April, about 8 security personnel arrived at the waiting area for our flight, with three total set ups for performing security checks. Two guarded the corridor leading to the plane, 2 walked around the area choosing random passengers to have their baggage opened and in some cases be patted down. The rest of the security personnel did the searches. This was all done in the open...no private rooms. At least 50 passengers had their bags opened (including our son) and the process took about 90 minutes. I asked one of the security personnel whether the choice of flight was random and she insisted it was, although I'm not sure she would have said anything else. Additionally, all passengers had to show their passports and boarding passes not only to the airline personnel before boarding but also to the 2 agents guarding the way to the plane. Everyone was very polite. We've seen secondary searches of individual passengers before but nothing on a large scale like this. Clearly this type of search is being done in the US as well as Europe.