Don't Shoot Me But

babs135

with all these new drinks prices, charging for lunch in the Chart Room and other 'hidden charges' it's beginning to get rather expensive to take a trip with Cunard (gulp, did I just say that).

The next logical step would be to look at one of the 6* lines that include everything from gratuities to shore excursions, etc. If you were to 'jump ship' which of the cruise lines would you go for?

Good Morning Babs.

I'm not sure that 'Hidden Charges' is the correct form of wording to be used here.

I'd prefer 'additional charges' for 'additional services'.

As for logical steps I would consider myself well qualified to comment on the options of sailing with 'one of the 6* lines having cruised with Seabourn, Silversea and Hapag-Lloyd, all in the last two years.

I can assure you that the costs of each of those far exceeded sailing Queens Grill on a pro-rata number of nights.

So why do I diversify?

The answer is simple. It's all about itineraries plus the fact that I find there is more to life than sailing time and again on the same old ship, the same old routes and to the same old destinations.

Of course, having said that i will always return to Cunard, because there is no other line like it.

We love Crystal. The all inclusive experience is terrific. We value the great food, amazing service, and the entertainment/activities. Regent doesn't come close on the entertainment and service although its cabins are larger.

We enjoy crossings on Cunard, and the Queen Mary 2 is an amazing ship. Food on our 4 crossings has ranged from very good to very poor. For the true luxury experience, Crystal is our choice.

It's on my horizon.

A great friend of mine who regularly lectures on Crystal often tells me it is like 'the Republican Party at Sea'. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

The 6* star lines are seriously expensive unless you are comparing with Grills prices.

I would like to try Silversea or Seabourn.

We enjoyed Azamara but they aren't in the same league.

Just commented on that very line Hattie.

Have a taster of Seabourn on me...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/11/17/seabourn-sojourn-yachtsmans-mediterranean/

30807643386_2e9c9cfdf4_z.jpg

Cruise lines make their money from passenger on board spending. If one doesn't drink, gamble, use spa services, purchase photos, buy anything from the shops or sign up for ship sponsored excursions or transfers then the line didn't make any money on that passenger. But I've read complaints on other forum sections that on "all inclusive" lines the "inclusive" refers to standard drinks and walking tours - while the "premium" versions come at an extra charge.

Hi BlueRiband.

Having been in the hospitality trade I'd say that onboard spend was the icing on the cake.

The fact remains that Cunard are unique in everything they offer and are the line that most cruisers aspire to sail with.............

That's a bit of a rash statement SR....not unique in 'everything they offer' ....most things they offer are available on every other cruise line !!!

According to a quick check I've just done on line (which may not be totally accurate of course)...

$280 in 1969 had the same buying power as... $1,904 today :eek:

(that's $380 a day (5 days) or now (7 days) the total would be $2665, if my maths is correct. Sharing a (QE2) inside with a stranger... )

The first Cunard fare we paid in Oct. 1973 was Can.$380 pp for an outside two-bed cabin on a five-night westbound QE2 crossing. I don't have to do any calculation thanks to the Bank of Canada site. The equivalent today is $2137 which is almost exactly what we are paying this October; however, for that amount we are getting seven nights in a sheltered balcony cabin that is somewhat larger than what we had in 1973.

It is bar and wine prices that have soared in real terms. In 1973 on-board pricing was in £ but the Canadian equivalent for a G&T was 50 cents which is the equivalent of $2.81 today. I don't recall the amount of the measure but even if it was one ounce it was way cheaper than today's prices.

Cunard is of course the only place you can sail an ocean liner. Great, if you want to spend your time crossing the Atlantic, or tendering at ports where other ships are small enough to berth. If you have a special place in your heart for a thick hull there's only one ship worth sailing on but it will get boring pretty quickly.

That aside, on a like-for-like basis there are other options and you can actually get to see a few different ports as well. We tend to alternate between Cunard and Celebrity, where pretty much every booking now includes a drinks package. You spot some people dedicated to getting their money's worth but unless you want to destroy your liver it's not really good value and it's a positive disinsentive to buying less, rather better quality booze rather than slurping it down like a docker on pay day.

If including excursions as well as premium drinks in the price is key, a couple of friends recommend Regent after having made the switch from Cunard and they've been trhee times now. But it's supposedly "all suite" sailing, which means prices are closer to Grills than the more popular Cunard cabins.

Personally, I think heaven forbid the day when Cunard include drinks and jack up the prices to match. It would be poorer value for us. As for excursions, if they seem too expensive I'll just devote some pre-cruise time to booking good quality private tours.

with all these new drinks prices, charging for lunch in the Chart Room and other 'hidden charges' it's beginning to get rather expensive to take a trip with Cunard (gulp, did I just say that).

The next logical step would be to look at one of the 6* lines that include everything from gratuities to shore excursions, etc. If you were to 'jump ship' which of the cruise lines would you go for?

We've always found Seabourn to be essentially a Queens Grill put to sea with the rest of the ship left off (if comparing to modern Cunard). Makes sense too since Cunard managed Seabourn when the whole idea of Grill Class came about from the necessary dining assignments of the QE2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums