Luggage weight

LabRat33470

My understanding is they are weighed because Carnival does not want any bag to exceed 50 pounds. If that limit is exceeded, there may be baggage delays. To avoid this, you could bring another bag to better distribute the weight. There is a suggestion of how many bags to bring but no rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two dozen drive-up cruises from Galveston since 2001 and we've never had a piece of luggage denied for weight. My wife has had a suitcase tip the scales at home at seventy pounds before we left. Cash talks. Tip them well.

Watch how the luggage is getting to and from your cabin. It's the entry level stewards etc who (almost) always get that job. Please be thoughtful to the guys and gals hauling your luggage to your cabins. Some of the gals barely weigh more than your overweight suitcases. Take an extra case and save their backs.

Another consideration for more, smaller suitcases is storage... I took a huge suitcase with me once (it was grossly underweight but large!) and it wouldn't fit under the bed! Now I'd rather have 2-3 medium or small suitcases for the 2 of us than one large one, since they'll fit nicely out of the way under the bed. In fact I even keep one unzipped under the bed, pull it out, stuff the dirty laundry in it and slide it back under!

Two dozen drive-up cruises from Galveston since 2001 and we've never had a piece of luggage denied for weight. My wife has had a suitcase tip the scales at home at seventy pounds before we left. Cash talks. Tip them well.

Hi

Don't get it. Are you bragging? Give them a few extra dollars and if they hurt themselves...too bad.

Can only shake my head.

We did a really big suitcase once and we will never do it again. It just killed us lifting it in and out of the car and even pulling it behind us made our arms ache like crazy. I will never put myself (or anyone else) through that again. I now use a medium suitcase with a smaller one that fits over the handle. No strain on my back lifting them in and out of the car and if it gets a bit heavy pulling them piggy backed I just separate them and pull them with both hands. We found out the hard way that oversized heavy luggage not only hurts the porters but it hurts you when you're lugging it around. Learn from our mistakes. :)

Edited by cruisinqt
spelling

Hi

Don't get it. Are you bragging? Give them a few extra dollars and if they hurt themselves...too bad.

Can only shake my head.

You're right about one thing, you don't get it. My point is there are no rules enforced about having a 50 pound limit on luggage. I'm not bragging on anything, just sharing what past experience has been.

Let me rephrase my post so you're not upset:

"In my past experience with Carnival in nine ports on thirty-six cruises we've never had a problem with luggage that might have exceeded fifty pounds. We also tell the porter the bag is heavy and I give them twenty dollars for my families luggage handling."

Learn some other motor skills.

Edited by BallFour4

Tip who?

Porter who put on cart

The porter who pushed the cart for staging

The first fork lift driver to dock

The other fork lift driver who placed on ship

The employee who moved from cargo to sorter

The sorting guys on ship

The cart loaders for each floor

The person who delivers to floor

The person on each deck moving luggage to your door

So tip the guy that handled your bag for 15 seconds!!!

Tip who?

Porter who put on cart

The porter who pushed the cart for staging

The first fork lift driver to dock

The other fork lift driver who placed on ship

The employee who moved from cargo to sorter

The sorting guys on ship

The cart loaders for each floor

The person who delivers to floor

The person on each deck moving luggage to your door

So tip the guy that handled your bag for 15 seconds!!!

From the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "lighten up Francis."

You've argued with me before, I'm not taking the bait this time. Take a nap and read this thread again. I'm evil; I once left some bacon on my plate too.

Edited by BallFour4

From the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "lighten up Francis."

You've argued with me before, I'm not taking the bait this time. Take a nap and read this thread again. I'm evil; I once left some bacon on my plate too.

Most people don't understand how many people handle their luggage, and the tips that go to the porter are longshoreman, who make in excess of 80K a year.