Bermuda Cruise Questions

Sailingkidswine

We are sailing in August and have a few questions:

1. Can you order whatever you want in the MDR (on other lines our daughter uses it as an opportunity to experiment a bit)

2. We have select dining. Once sitting, how long does dinner last on average?

3. Should we expect to have trouble hanging by the pool? If so, how early does one need to begin their sunbathing to get a lounger?

4. At the pool, do servers come around to take drink orders or does one go to the bar?

5. Any sense of what main "show" will be on the first night?

6. In Bermuda, quickest/easiest/most reliable way to get to the caves? We will do this on Day 3 in Bermuda and would like to go early and get back to the ship.

6. In Bermuda, quickest/easiest/most reliable way to get to the caves? We will do this on Day 3 in Bermuda and would like to go early and get back to the ship.

For the caves take a ferry to either Hamilton or St. George's. The take a bus or taxi from the ferry terminal to the caves.

Don't do the caves the third day because that is your short day. The caves are on the other end of Bermuda from where Summit docks. You don't want to stress out about making it back. Third day go to Horseshoe Bay, or do stuff at the Dockyard.

The caves are quite a distance from the Dockyard. It would take about 2 hrs by 2 buses to get there from the dockyard. The quickest way would be an expensive taxi. Rather than do it on Day 3 (departure day), I'd suggest the following for another day when you don't have to worry about being back to the ship for departure. Earliest ferry to St George; spend some time looking around St. George; bus to Caves (about 30 min); tour BOTH Caves; bus to Hamilton (about 45 min); spend some time in Hamilton, ferry back to Dockyard. If you have a transit pass, all travel (bus & ferry) will be covered by the pass. We did this on our last trip, and were back on the ship in time for a late dinner.

If you check the Bermuda Tourism Website, you can find schedules to help you plan.

1. Can you order whatever you want in the MDR (on other lines our daughter uses it as an opportunity to experiment a bit)

She can order anything on the menu.

2. We have select dining. Once sitting, how long does dinner last on average?

If you request a private table and don't sit with others it will depend on how many courses you order and how fast you eat. If you are in a rush let the server know.

If you share the table with others you are at their mercy.

3. Should we expect to have trouble hanging by the pool? If so, how early does one need to begin their sunbathing to get a lounger?

There are many places to sun bath. You don't need to be by or next the pool.

4. At the pool, do servers come around to take drink orders or does one go to the bar?

Servers do make their rounds. Have found it faster to get my own and also better to find a BT that makes the drinks the way you like. They all make them a little different

5. Any sense of what main "show" will be on the first night?

Usually a intro show showcasing some to the cast and bans and maybe guests. Not usually crowded and can be seen thru the next day on the cabin TV

Can't help with this as we never went there but would not plan on the last day. Besides being the shortest day it does rain there and very hard. Also beware that the ferries do get full and leave when they are or at the scheduled time whatever is first. We also found it more economical to buy tokens instead of the day passes. It depends on how much you want to travel during a day.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I assume you're on the Summit which departs Bermuda at 4:30 pm on Friday.

The other posters have warned you about the risk going to the caves on the last day. If you understand the risk involved and are willing to accept the risk, here's the best way to do it:

• Take either the 7:30 am or 9:00 am ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton (travel time 20 minutes).

• When you leave the ferry terminal, turn right and walk to the taxi stand on Front St.
  • Hire a taxi to take you to the caves; the fare would be about $27 plus tip for 4 passengers; travel time, about 25 minutes.
  • I would only tour one cave, but that is your call.
  • To get to the Dockyard, do the reverse. Taxi to ferry. The ferries depart Hamilton on the :00, so the last ferry you could take without becoming a pier runner would be at 3:00 pm.
  • Do not stop to smell the roses.

The caves open at 9 am, so if you take the first ferry you should be there before the caves open which is what you want because you want to be on the first tour.

SBtS

Thank you so far everyone! We are traveling with kids and with another family, so based on other excursions we are pretty much tied to the last day for the caves for my husband. We are willing to be up and out early and with kids everything is quick, especially any sightseeing. Keep the advice coming....I very much appreciate it.

I assume you're on the Summit which departs Bermuda at 4:30 pm on Friday.[/b][/color][/size][/font]

I know the port schedule says 4:30 pm but unless they change back recently Summit has been leaving at 3:30 pm. All aboard being at 3:00 pm.

For the caves take a ferry to either Hamilton or St. George's. The take a bus or taxi from the ferry terminal to the caves.

Don't do the caves the third day because that is your short day. The caves are on the other end of Bermuda from where Summit docks. You don't want to stress out about making it back. Third day go to Horseshoe Bay, or do stuff at the Dockyard.

This. Do not use the public transport option for the day you have to depart. If there is a ship's excursion to the caves, it would be okay. We bought a transport pass and did as this poster said....ferry to St. George and then bus to Crystal Cave. Way too far for the last day unless with a ship's excursion. We did Horseshoe Bay the last day.

If memory serves, the ship singers and dancers performed the first night. They were the hardest working cast I've ever seen...performed four of the seven nights.

I'm thinking if we did the 7:30 ferry, then a taxi to the caves for the 9am opening and then reverse that we could be back on the ship by 1-2. I really can't see us there for more than a couple of hours, max. Maybe I'm not thinking this through correctly...

I'm thinking if we did the 7:30 ferry, then a taxi to the caves for the 9am opening and then reverse that we could be back on the ship by 1-2. I really can't see us there for more than a couple of hours, max. Maybe I'm not thinking this through correctly...

Keep in mind that you will need to get tokens for the ferry and so will need some extra time due to the fact that both Summit and Breakaway will let people off the ship at about the same time. It can get mobbed.

Thank you. Lot to consider.

That first day can be busy, son and I did a tour last year on the first day but did it early in the afternoon. Wee sat at the pool in the morning and relaxed as everyone ran off the ship, at lunch and then went on our tour. Nice and relaxing. To be honest though, we had gone to Bermuda four years in a row so were not in a real hurry.

Also, if I remember correctly there are two places at the pier to buy tokens, don't go to the closest one, walk a little further to the next one, shorter lines.

That first day can be busy, son and I did a tour last year on the first day but did it early in the afternoon. Wee sat at the pool in the morning and relaxed as everyone ran off the ship, at lunch and then went on our tour. Nice and relaxing. To be honest though, we had gone to Bermuda four years in a row so were not in a real hurry.

Also, if I remember correctly there are two places at the pier to buy tokens, don't go to the closest one, walk a little further to the next one, shorter lines.

They are planning on the third day not the first day. There will only be a few people from the ship up to catch the 7:30 ferry. Probably mostly local people. I don't know how many locals take that ferry. There are three places to buy tokens. One each at the cruise terminals and the third near the ferry docks. I doubt they will be open at 7:30. No problem, they can pay cash or buy the tokens on Day 1 or 2.

Edited by Charles4515

Our first day we are doing a mid-afternoon excursion so we don't have to rush off the boat! The second day (weather permitting) is Horseshoe Bay Beach (and exploring the other beaches in that area) and the last day is the caves. Because we are traveling with others who don't want to check the caves out, our plan is limited.

This is one of the great things about cruising. She can order everything on the menu if she wants to.

We usually order multiple appetizers, and sometimes we will get an extra entre (or 2).

Keep in mind that you will need to get tokens for the ferry and so will need some extra time due to the fact that both Summit and Breakaway will let people off the ship at about the same time. It can get mobbed.

I assume the tokens are included in the original purchase price...or am I wrong?

OP, you are braver than I....the diseases you can catch from spelunking keeps me out.

Thank you. Lot to consider.

I'm changing my 'how to' because of the additional info that has been posted.

Including yourself, how many are in your group? Will every one in the group be going to the caves? Taxis hold a max of 7 passengers.

Does anyone in your group have mobility issues? To enter a cave requires walking down about 88 damp cement stairs and then walking back up same.

Since member Charles posted that the Summit has been departing at 3:30 pm not the 4:30 pm that is in the schedule and my prior post, then the latest ferry you should be on so as not to become a pier runner departs Hamilton at 2 pm.

Buy 2 tokens per member of your group that is going to the caves on a prior day. Do not wait until Friday to make the purchase.

SBtS

I assume the tokens are included in the original purchase price...or am I wrong?

OP, you are braver than I....the diseases you can catch from spelunking keeps me out.

original purchase price of what? The OP is on the Summit which does not offer a free ferry. NCL offers the free ferry to its passengers, tokens are not needed.

BTW, I don't consider taking a tour of a cave as spelunking.

SBtS

On our last day in Bermuda two years ago, we took 7:30 ferry to Hamilton (very rough when you close Martini bar night before). Not crowded, mostly locals, although several scooters and might not have made it if we had not arrived early as we had two scooters. Also, ferry makes additional stop to pick up workers at that time. From Hamilton we went to St George (getting lost on the way! Had breakfast, rode to Cooper's Island snorkeled and laid on the beach, stopped at Swizzle Inn for lunch and swizzles. Rode back to St. George, turned scooters in and got on last ferry to Kings Wharf (full ferry). Had time to have a drink at Frog & Onion and do a little trinket shopping and listen to DW panic about getting back to ship timely (she will never let the Istanbul thing go). Point is, that was a lot to get in on the final day and it worked out with a lot of poor planning. From the description and in comparison, going to caves for a few hours should be no problem.

Tokens for the ferry are not included in the purchase price of the cruise, if that is what you are asking.

Visiting these caves is not spelunking. As far a disease these particular caves would be very low risk. The main concern would be the 88 or steps down and up for those with mobility issues.

original purchase price of what? The OP is on the Summit which does not offer a free ferry. NCL offers the free ferry to its passengers, tokens are not needed.

BTW, I don't consider taking a tour of a cave as spelunking.

SBtS

I didn't know that. How much are the tokens? I will be going on the summit next year to Bermuda.

I just avoid caves all together due to the possible diseases.

On our last day in Bermuda two years ago, we took 7:30

From the description and in comparison, going to caves for a few hours should be no problem.

If they take the 7:30 ferry it should not be a problem. I don't think the caves are worth getting up early and catching that early a ferry to go visit them but that is my opinion.

I didn't know that. How much are the tokens? I will be going on the summit next year to Bermuda.

I just avoid caves all together due to the possible diseases.

Tokens cost $4.50 each, and you need one every time you board a public bus or ferry unless you are transferring between buses.

SBtS

Tokens cost $4.50 each, and you need one every time you board a public bus or ferry unless you are transferring between buses.

SBtS

Can I buy them on the ship? I don't want to carry too much cash.

Although I plan on making a big purchase on another island ;) with my credit card of course.