First Time cruiser.. Oceania or Princess Cruises?

In the Med, I don't think there will be that much difference between a 14 day Princess (which because of it's length will draw an older crowd from the usual Princess demographics) and Oceania.

OP, you might also consider the dining experience outside of food. On Oceania, it is very easy to get tables for two with "anytime" dining. Also, the whole vibe around the pool will be very different. It will not feel as crowded, with few chair hogs and padded loungers. But, it will be quiet. Think of Oceania as a higher end floating hotel. It is less "cruisy" in the experience and more like a nice hotel. It's strengths are it's food, service and itineraries. It does not go out of its way to keep you entertained.

Sounds like a lot of Oceana cheerleaders on here. I have not been on that line so can not advise you. I CAN tell you that we enjoy Princess. Lots of entertainment at night if you are looking for that. Usually Med cruises are port intensive so sometimes the cruise line is not as important as the itinerary. Compare the ports of the 10 day and the 14 day. You might find that there are some extra ports on the 14 day you really want to go to. You never know when or if you will be back again.

What month are you planning to honeymoon? If it is in the summer, the Mediterranean is very hot and uncomfortable. One other issue is to research if the less expensive cabins are even available on the Rivera. On a couple of occasions when I considered booking the Rivera, only the more expensive rooms could be booked.

Suggest you consider Celebrity cruise to the Greek Islands as a possible alternative.

One other issue is to research if the less expensive cabins are even available on the Rivera. On a couple of occasions when I considered booking the Rivera, only the more expensive rooms could be booked.

Yes the lower cabins like insides & ocean view & suites book up fast

Most pax are repeat cruisers some cruises have over 50% repeat cruisers on each sailing

If you see a cruise you like book early or just wait to see if anything is still available closer to sailing

I also forgot to mention, O ships have a wonderful dining area for al fresco dining just outside the inside buffet (in certain ports this outside dining are can be a nice romantic location for a dinner). The Terrace Cafes (buffet) on Oceania are very nice. They serve everything on the main dining room menu, but also have a grill to order things like steaks, lobster, fish and lamb chops, a sushi selection and frequently things like king crab legs.

Hi, I have been looking at the Italy/Greece cruises myself, they sound romantic and laid back, as Oceania always is. The food is fabulous, it's a relaxed but traveled crowd, and I never have to consider giving gratuities, being included. (except for drinks, and that is in the price, rolled in).

We don't go in for 'formal nights' - if you do, pick a main stream line.

Last time we cruised with O I did not get the OBC included - and somehow we spent $1000 between the two of us. That was drinks, one excursion and a Martini tasting. We didn't take any alcohol on board as it was Tahiti and we didn't know where to buy any, lol. The soda stacked mini fridge comes in useful if you bring on any spirits.

The entertainment is woeful on O but we find other things to do, which you will too.

There were 3 honeymooners on board and No Kids - my kind of cruising (but this can depend on timing apparently).

Enjoy your honeymoon, it will be romantic, delicious and beautiful, I am sure. x

I will ignore most of the posts since many are biased and not based on the original posters question. Since we are talking about honeymooners (congratulations) we suspect the OP might be young. And age does matter. Oceania bills itself as a premium cruise line (we could argue this point)...but lets take them at face value. With O you will have a smaller vessel, which has pros and cons. O will give you more public space per passenger (you will not have to struggle to find a deck chair) and generally better overall cuisine. But O will likely give you an older group of passengers and lousy entertainment. O fans do not like to talk about entertainment....because this is generally the sacrifice you make when booking a smaller vessel (and we love small ships). Princess will give you more entertainment options (although one could argue that cruise ship shows are not the best). Princess will also give you a decent number of other cruisers in your age group. And then there is the issue of cost...which should be evaluated after costing out the real value (to you) of extras. For example, O charges high prices for most of their adult beverages. Princess has some pretty reasonable prices for adult beverages. So if you are drinkers and do want to book O...try to find a deal that includes a drink package.

And finally, take a good look at the itinerary and the hours the ship spends in each port (the more the better). As to cruise ship excursions, if you plan on doing these then start saving extra money. Excursions are fine for those who love being in large bus groups...but are always overpriced by the cruise lines who see excursions as a nice profit center. In many ports you can likely do things on your own (with a little pre trip homework), or perhaps join with others on a small private tour (get active on your Cruise Critic Roll Call where folks often get together to do small group tours).

Hank

In Italy the 2 groups were ROBBED. Purses, jewelry, wallets ... all of it gone. Mykonos was stealing their wallets while people were in the water. You are much safer being in a group of 40 (if you stay together) .... they teach little children safety in numbers.

No one DESERVES to have anything stolen from them. This was a NCL cruise excursion in Mykonos. I grew up on beaches all over New England. Nothing was EVER stolen while we were in the water. Times and seemingly people have changed.

Ok; no idea what the circumstances were for the people in Italy; but myself and family members have traveled all over Europe solo: Italy, France, Greece, Ireland, the Netherlands, England, Iceland, etc without ever feeling it was less safe than any US city. 100% about having your eyes open and wits about you even when on vacation. In Amsterdam we noticed a guy following us as we left a train station so we went back in and past security and he quickly left. Anyone, anywhere walking around with their nose in a guidebook/map or leaving belongings unattended is putting themselves in harms way. Not a reason to be afraid to travel outside of a group. Plus, most of the group tours we've taken have included some 'on your own' time to eat lunch or shop. Can just as easily be a victim there if you aren't paying attention.

Not saying anyone deserves to be a victim - simply that simple steps should be taken both at home and abroad. But no need to be in unnecessary fear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like a lot of Oceana cheerleaders on here. I have not been on that line so can not advise you. I CAN tell you that we enjoy Princess. Lots of entertainment at night if you are looking for that. Usually Med cruises are port intensive so sometimes the cruise line is not as important as the itinerary. Compare the ports of the 10 day and the 14 day. You might find that there are some extra ports on the 14 day you really want to go to. You never know when or if you will be back again.

I'm glad I did the Med. cruise. But I will NEVER do it again. Had the misfortune of having to do this end of July/early Aug. NOT my way of enjoying a cruise. Up at 6am, breakfast delivered at 6:30 a.m., in the theater by 8:00 am and on the bus by 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. HIKING for MILES (buses usually can't park close to the sights) in the 110 degree weather at 90% humidity.

I'm glad I did the Med. cruise. But I will NEVER do it again. Had the misfortune of having to do this end of July/early Aug. NOT my way of enjoying a cruise. Up at 6am, breakfast delivered at 6:30 a.m., in the theater by 8:00 am and on the bus by 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. HIKING for MILES (buses usually can't park close to the sights) in the 110 degree weather at 90% humidity.

???? Confused. You are saying that like your cruise and excursions were chosen for you. You can certainly do excursions with less walking or in a better season (fall is great) if you want to go back. Also if you explore on your own instead of doing excursions you can get started whenever you like. It is your vacation.

???? Confused. You are saying that like your cruise and excursions were chosen for you. You can certainly do excursions with less walking or in a better season (fall is great) if you want to go back. Also if you explore on your own instead of doing excursions you can get started whenever you like. It is your vacation.

No, I couldn't pick a different time of year for that particular trip. THAT was when my husband had off of work. No, I couldn't pick different excursions. YES they were chosen for me. That is what my husband wanted to do, so that is what we did. OR either that, my husband and I go on a HUGE Med. cruise vacation and don't see each other until dinner every day. That is ridiculous. Go back? Why? Been there, done that.

No, I couldn't pick a different time of year for that particular trip. THAT was when my husband had off of work. No, I couldn't pick different excursions. YES they were chosen for me. That is what my husband wanted to do, so that is what we did. OR either that, my husband and I go on a HUGE Med. cruise vacation and don't see each other until dinner every day. That is ridiculous. Go back? Why? Been there, done that.

So perhaps your real problem was listening to your husband :) (and I am a husband). We have been traveling extensively for nearly fifty years, and seldom take any kind of excursion. We prefer doing things on our own whenever possible (which is nearly all the time). Because we are on our own we do not need to get up at 6:30am, get stuck on buses, wear ourselves out, etc. We simply do what we want, when we want, with who we want. While taking excursions day after day can wear out the fittest of folks, we tend to pace ourselves so that we come home not needing a vacation from our trip. Instead of rushing from site to site, we might take 2 hours for a nice lunch in a wonderful restaurant or cafe.

As to the crime issue, having spent decades traveling around the world (including many lengthy driving trips in Europe (and Italy) we have never been "robbed" or even pick pocketed (we have easily foiled a few attempts). Why? Because we take a few basic precautions and do not run around in large groups behind tour guides (those little tour signs are like a bulls eye for gypsies). But pick pockets are too common in Europe where there are many Roma (gypsies) and the liberal governments refuse to properly punish petty crime. In some countries (Spain being a good example) petty theft does not even get the legal attention given to a parking ticket! And careless travelers, who refuse to listen to some basic advice on simple precautions, are very easy targets.

Hank

I'm biased because I cruise with Princess, have never set foot on an Oceana ship, and after 30+ cruises on various Princess ships can readily recommend Princess.

Princess ships are classy without any snobbery. Accommodations are comfortable, nice décor throughout the ships. Plenty of activities and entertainment, both daytime and in the evenings. I consider the food served to be at least good, and often really great, with multiple menu options at dinner every night. I have always had excellent service while aboard, and pretty every crew member that I have interacted with has seemed happy to be there and willing to go out of their way to make my cruise as pleasant as possible and resolve any problem or concern.

Wow. Sorry you had such a miserable experience.

I've been on 9 Med cruises so far and have not yet gotten the feeling that I've "been there, done that." I've probably visited close to 60 different ports in 20 countries.... (And that's not counting land trips :cool:.)

Can't wait to go back.

There is little comparison between O and Princess besides being cruise lines! We've taken over 40 Princess cruises and enjoyed them all to different degrees. Entertainment OK, food OK, service fantastic, cabins pretty, functional but small. As for adult beverages, Princess's drinks are adequate. Oceania is a different vacation all together. The ships are decorated in rich mahogany, valuable art and sculptures. The public rooms remind me of a rich mans social club-luxurious and inviting. Entertainment varies from superb to amateur. The service and food are unrivaled-5 ️ in every dining venue. The cabins are lovely but small-in no way intolerable. Your refrigerator is filled with non alcoholic beverages of your choice prior to your arrival. The deluxe liquor package is the best I've encountered at sea...unlimited top shelf doubles[emoji12]at any bar/anytime! It is definitely lower keyed but everyone is friendly/not snobby.

If I could afford it I'd solely travel O but because we travel at least 3 months a year, we save O cruises for special occasions . Still a good life

Having cruised extensively on Oceania (all ships!) (10+), Celebrity (20+) and only 2 on Princess I can give you some input......

Oceania WILL be an older crowd - we felt we were in the younger portion in our 60's!

Celebrity MUCH younger crowd, still oldies but lots more younger couples & families

Princess - similar demographics to Celebrity

We compared B2B Oceania and Celebrity cruise (air cost not considered because we flew with Frequent flyer points so you must add air cost/credit into your equation)(and yes, got off O in Barcelona and got on Celebrity 2 days later for SAME PORTS and same number of days) and evaluated categories from 1-10 with 10 being best....

Service: O 10. C 9

Food: O 10. C 8

Specialty restaurants: O 10. C 8

Balcony Cabin: O 10. C 10

Entertainment: O 6. C 8

Ships shore excursions: both really expensive & not to our liking..... arranged our own through new friends on cruise critic roll call for a fraction of the cost and wonderful!

Cost: O 10 (Expensive!) C 6 (Moderate)

(For cost we wanted to Make sure we were comparing like to like so we made sure we did same number of added cost items on.celeb that were included in Oceania - specialty restaurants, soft drinks, etc)

So for us it was a no brainer. We loved Oceania but really like to cruise so we cruised twice as much when we switched to Celebrity!

Now, Princess..... we find them quite comparable to Celebrity with a feeling if more intimate spaces, more small venues for evening entertainment choices and quite frankly, the steak house on Princess equals Oceania's.

So once you figure out cost of air & perk value you'll be able to choose cost. (check out air deals with your alternate cruise line, O really doesn't credit much towards air and if you want a deviation, they add on $100 or more to cost...)

You are young..... might feel (I can pretty much guarantee it) the older crowd with the more staid entertainment is not your cup of tea!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want a more luxurious experience, choose O. The Riviera ship is gorgeous and food and restaurants wonderful.

You are young and if Celebrity offers a cruise with your timing and itinerary, I would suggest you take it. I love O, but would advise my 30 something children to take Celebrity Solstice ships.

If only left with Princess or O...take the O Riviera cruise. Much more upscale.