Lost luggage

Razor_Poke

Just a fun but meaningless question. Every cruise there is a flyer sent out asking for help finding a few lost bags. I think they usually add a generic picture that is close to the description and then more detail written out.

Anyway, have any of you had lost bags on a cruise and if so, did they eventually turn up?

Well, not exactly lost, but delayed in catching up with us. This happened several years ago, and was on an RCCL cruise. It was in February, and we made the mistake of flying in on the day of the cruise. Due to mechanical issues with the plane, our flight was delayed. (Thanks Delta. :mad:) We finally made it to Miami at about 5:00 p.m. Of course, we knew that the ship had already sailed out. We sought out the RCCL rep. there at the airport for help. She made arrangements for us to catch a flight from Miami to Nassau, which was the first stop the next day. It was a small plane, with a very small cargo compartment. And, of course, the flight was full, and there was more baggage on the tarmac than what the plane could possibly hold. I told my wife I had serious doubts that our baggage would make it. We got to Nassau, but our bags didn't. When we boarded the ship the next day, we went to Guest Services and spoke with a young woman there and explained what happened. She said "Don't worry. Just go the gift shop and get whatever you need. Toothbrushes, deodorant, etc. We'll take care of it." Our bags finally caught up with us when we got to St. Thomas. Yay! At the end of the cruise, when we got our on board account bill, it showed a balance due of $0.00. We were very happily surprised. It wasn't RCCL's fault that our bags were late catching up with us, but they were kind enough to pay off our account. My wife said, had we known that would have happened, we would have had ordered a LOT more cocktails. :D As a result of what happened, we learned our lesson about not flying in the day of the cruise, and although we haven't cruised with them for quite a while, we have nothing but praise for RCCL.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you are checking your luggage to take photos of it in case it does go missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

YES! This is a very good idea. I always take a picture of my luggage, because when that person at the "lost luggage window" (wherever it may be) asks you to describe your luggage, you just show them a picture and ask them to fill in the appropriate fields when entering the info into the computer.

Just a fun but meaningless question. Every cruise there is a flyer sent out asking for help finding a few lost bags. I think they usually add a generic picture that is close to the description and then more detail written out.

Anyway, have any of you had lost bags on a cruise and if so, did they eventually turn up?

A few years ago. We had the experience of my bags waiting at the cabin door for us, The love of my life's bags... Nowhere to be seen. We waited with anticipation... No bag. We sent my teenage son to search the hallways... No Bag. My lovely GF was reduced to tears when I offered her the use of my tighty whiteys for the week if her bag didn't show up. We skipped dinner the first night because she had nothing more than a wet bathing suit, and the clothes she flew in wearing. Things were beginning to look dismal. Tears were shed.

Late that night, I went to guest services to inquire "Where the heck is the bag" ?? Guest services pointed to a big pile of luggage in the lobby. Is the bag you are looking for in there? Why, YES, Yes it is! The world had suddenly become right. I could go back to the cabin a hero. The Bag was found!

Question is. How did the bag become lost? It had 2 tags on it. I put them on myself. I'm mechanically inclined. Those tags did not fall off on their own. My best guess is a disgruntled stevedore. I Tipped the man well. $10 IIRC for our 3 bags. My bag, my teenage sons bag, and my lovely GF's bag. I think, at the time the stevedore did not associate my GF and I as being together (the dock area gets crazy at peak times) and he thinks she stiffed him. Tags disappear, drama ensues.

My advice. Tip the stevedore, and make sure he knows which bags you are tipping him for.

A few years ago we sailed out of Jacksonville on the Fascination. We checked our 2 bags and carried on a small bookbag. As we were embarking I looked down into the water area between the ship and pier and there was a large suitcase floating in the water! I wasn't ours, but that was the last time we have ever checked our bags. :cool:

Maybe it would be a good idea if you are checking your luggage to take photos of it in case it does go missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Benefited myself from taking luggage photo when it was left on a connecting flight. Airline staff immediately traced it at originating airport and priority loaded in next flight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

How about when leaving them outside the cabin door the night before disembarkation, has anybody ever not found them in the pickup area off the ship?

I have in the New York terminal twice and now walk off all of my luggage. On my cruise last year, I had 3 luggage pieces. All were marked with those blue zone disembarkation tag number 28. 2 pieces of luggage were in the correct zone 28 spot, missing one bag. Checked everywhere at the terminal and at the different zone numbers area, still unable to find it. The terminal worker told me that I can’t do anything until all of the bags were off the ship. Sure enough, about 30 minutes later my other bag arrived with all of the other luggage that were marked for zone 34ish. Somehow somewhere, my last bag got mixed up with other bags in a different zone. Soo surprised at how this can happen, 3 bags were all tag correctly with the same number yet one ended up at a different zone..soo annoying

Yes had a bag that did not show up in our cabin, it was in a little room near guest services with several other lost and confused bags. The tag had "fallen" off, despite staples and tape. I though it weird that there was my Delta tags with my name on it, and they did not bother to call us. But cest la vie.,

Then had a bag not show up in baggage claim when leaving the ship in Alaska. That time my bag went on a bus headed for the train to Denali, while we were going to Anchorage for the day and then a red eye flight. Once the luggage company at port figured out they had stuck it on a truck by mistake, they sent it to the airport. Of course first they made me search the luggage area 3 times to prove my bag wasn't there.

I take pictures of the bags as well, and always take a picture of the porter smiling with my bags, so I know who took them. Started doing that after checking in early for a cruise. We gave our bags to the porter, he put them with a bunch of other bags. I noticed people taking the bags and putting them in cars, so I asked another porter "Are those bags headed to the ship for the next cruise?" He said "No those bags just came off." So I walked over got my bags and checked them in with another porter. It cost me two tips but my bags made it to the right section.

One cruise we had 3 bags delivered to our room on the first day. Problem was that they were not ours. They had our room number written on them so it looked like they were filled out by the porter or the people when that dropped their bag off. About five hours later we got a letter in our room with a picture of the three bags (they were the actual bags) asking for the owners to give them a call.

How about when leaving them outside the cabin door the night before disembarkation, has anybody ever not found them in the pickup area off the ship?

On one cruise from Port Canaveral, we couldn't find one bag. We had FTTF and got off the ship right away. We stood there by the belt watching bag after bag go buy. Finally the belt was empty and no bag. We went to one of the workers that was standing off to the side. He told us to walk the length of the belt because sometime someone will take a bag off of the belt thinking it was theirs and when they find out it isn't, they just set it off to the side rather than putting it back on the belt. Sure enough, that's what happened. It was way down the belt, sitting off to the side.

I know you can carry your bags on...can you carry your bags off too?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. On Debarkation morning, there will be an announcement made that those doing self-debarkation may leave the ship. People doing self-debarkation go first, before zone numbers are called.

We had an issue with this... Finally got the upgrade to the Owner's Suite on the Fascination and I knew it was going to go South when they didn't pick up our bag the night before....

Took about an hour to find it at the port. Only problem we've ever had.

A few years ago. We had the experience of my bags waiting at the cabin door for us, The love of my life's bags... Nowhere to be seen. We waited with anticipation... No bag. We sent my teenage son to search the hallways... No Bag. My lovely GF was reduced to tears when I offered her the use of my tighty whiteys for the week if her bag didn't show up. We skipped dinner the first night because she had nothing more than a wet bathing suit, and the clothes she flew in wearing. Things were beginning to look dismal. Tears were shed.

Late that night, I went to guest services to inquire "Where the heck is the bag" ?? Guest services pointed to a big pile of luggage in the lobby. Is the bag you are looking for in there? Why, YES, Yes it is! The world had suddenly become right. I could go back to the cabin a hero. The Bag was found!

Question is. How did the bag become lost? It had 2 tags on it. I put them on myself. I'm mechanically inclined. Those tags did not fall off on their own. My best guess is a disgruntled stevedore. I Tipped the man well. $10 IIRC for our 3 bags. My bag, my teenage sons bag, and my lovely GF's bag. I think, at the time the stevedore did not associate my GF and I as being together (the dock area gets crazy at peak times) and he thinks she stiffed him. Tags disappear, drama ensues.

My advice. Tip the stevedore, and make sure he knows which bags you are tipping him for.

You have a gift with the words . :D

One cruise we had 3 bags delivered to our room on the first day. Problem was that they were not ours. They had our room number written on them so it looked like they were filled out by the porter or the people when that dropped their bag off. About five hours later we got a letter in our room with a picture of the three bags (they were the actual bags) asking for the owners to give them a call.

Did you report the errant bags to GS yourself? Many times bags are misdelivered and people just leave them in their room.

On the Breeze someone else's bag was delivered to our room and as the luggage bin was still in the hall I just put it back on the cart.

Not lost by the cruiseline, but we did have all of our bags lost by the airline flying into a cruise. They put them on the wrong plane.

When we got on board the ship, we explained the problem--no bags at all..no clothes. They were in contact with the airlines, but in the meantime gave us vouchers to buy clothes from their store on board and free laundry vouchers so we could at least wash what we were wearing. They were very nice about the whole thing.

Luckily our bags did show up at the ship at some point, because they delivered them to us the next day.

I have in the New York terminal twice and now walk off all of my luggage. On my cruise last year, I had 3 luggage pieces. All were marked with those blue zone disembarkation tag number 28. 2 pieces of luggage were in the correct zone 28 spot, missing one bag. Checked everywhere at the terminal and at the different zone numbers area, still unable to find it. The terminal worker told me that I can’t do anything until all of the bags were off the ship. Sure enough, about 30 minutes later my other bag arrived with all of the other luggage that were marked for zone 34ish. Somehow somewhere, my last bag got mixed up with other bags in a different zone. Soo surprised at how this can happen, 3 bags were all tag correctly with the same number yet one ended up at a different zone..soo annoying

That happened to me. I had zone 1 and looked for over 20 minutes. Found it in zone 6.

OP, I've been on over 30 cruises and only once did I get a notice about missing luggage. Some dope took it and put in under his bed for the whole cruise.

Yep, Port Canaveral. 3 bags went to 3 different locations. Took about 30 minutes to find all of them.

All tags still attached. Took shuttle to the car, and set my carry-on backpack down in the parking lot to load the luggage in the car. 8 hour drive later, realized backpack was missing. Shuttle people were great, and got it shipped home to me. Nothing missing.