Review of Baltic Cruise on the Regal June 13-24/2017

Travlin grrl

Thanks for the review. We're doing this same cruise next June, so I'm enjoying the information on all the ports. It sounds like the weather was pretty warm. I'll be especially curious about how to pack. We just finished a Mediterranean on the Royal Princess and the weather was hot and sunny. I imagine it will be a good bit cooler on the Baltic. Keep the details coming!

Thanks for the review. We're doing this same cruise next June, so I'm enjoying the information on all the ports. It sounds like the weather was pretty warm. I'll be especially curious about how to pack. We just finished a Mediterranean on the Royal Princess and the weather was hot and sunny. I imagine it will be a good bit cooler on the Baltic. Keep the details coming!

Yes we did the same thing. We did the Mediterranean last summer on the Royal and it was hot ..everyone was by the pool and hard to find a place to sit. This one was mild with some hot days but not many people by the pool. It only rained one day for us which was the second day in St. Petersburg so we were pretty lucky.

A sea day between Oslo and Warnemunde. We decide to sleep in because we always have to wake up early for port days and hey....we are on vacation. We have a small breakfast because today is pub lunch and I always like to go to that. And because they have a designated time which is a small window you don't want to be too full before lunch. The line was actually not so bad when it was getting to the end.

Then to the deck and lay on the loungers we watched Shania Twain on the big screen. Before you know it , it's time for dinner. We like to go to the dining room and go to the Crown Grill at least once during the cruise . Whenever we try to go last minute to Crown Grill we can never get in. And usually never on formal night.I ended up making a reservation for the last night before we got off. One of these days we are going to eat dinner at Horizon Court because we usually only have breakfast there.

In the evening we go to the "Voice of the Ocean" try outs at Vista lounge. This is more serious than karaoke which was really entertaining this cruise. I will try to post a video and see if it works. Fingers crossed.

This cruise we usually go to Crooners after because we discovered Kory Simon who is hilarious and very entertaining.

We did this cruise the week before yours and loved it. Must say the four of us felt Kory Simon ruined the Crooners for us - more of a wanna be comedian than a Crooner and unnecessarily loud. However lots of others enjoyed him.

In the evening we go to the "Voice of the Ocean" try outs at Vista lounge. This is more serious than karaoke which was really entertaining this cruise. I will try to post a video and see if it works. Fingers crossed.

Is this also called Pop Singers ? I guess they are passengers. They performed in the Piazza and were great - people hanging of the railings on all decks, singing along - very well done.

Is this also called Pop Singers ? I guess they are passengers. They performed in the Piazza and were great - people hanging of the railings on all decks, singing along - very well done.

My guess is you're thinking about the Princess Pop Choir. They're the ones who rehearse a few times, then perform some songs in the Piazza near the end of the cruise. The Voice of the Ocean is a TV show style competition.

Hope you'll excuse my butting in here. I'm following this too and am enjoying it immensely since we sail on the same cruise in a month.

Jim

Pop Singers and Voice of the Ocean are different.

PS is open to anyone who wants to sing.

VotO is a contest.

Was the bike tour thru Princess or a private tour? Was it a fairly easy ride over mostly flat and even ground? Was the speed easy and relaxed or pedal like mad to keep up? Do you bike a lot at home or is this something an infrequent biker could do?

Many thanks in advance for answering my questions. DH who is 74 and I (63) are doing this cruise on the Regal at the end of Aug, so really enjoying your review.

Thanks,

AWT

We did this cruise the week before yours and loved it. Must say the four of us felt Kory Simon ruined the Crooners for us - more of a wanna be comedian than a Crooner and unnecessarily loud. However lots of others enjoyed him.

Haha. Yes he was more of a comedian than a Crooner. He did play the piano more serious in the Vista Lounge one night but no singing. And yes he is loud but we needed the laughs.

Was the bike tour thru Princess or a private tour? Was it a fairly easy ride over mostly flat and even ground? Was the speed easy and relaxed or pedal like mad to keep up? Do you bike a lot at home or is this something an infrequent biker could do?

Many thanks in advance for answering my questions. DH who is 74 and I (63) are doing this cruise on the Regal at the end of Aug, so really enjoying your review.

Thanks,

AWT

Hey BabySarge, this was a Princess Excursion. It was fairly easy and mostly flat. The only uphill part was going up to the palace and we all just got off and walked it up. They do have different gears on the bike. I never bike at home and don't have a bike but like to do it in the ports to cover a lot of ground. So yes I think you could do it. You also make a few stops and if some people get stopped at a stop light we all stop to wait. So not strenuous at all.

The only fast part was getting your bike. When we got to the shop we decided to use the restroom up the stairs down the hall. When we came back it was find your own helmet and bike and the first 12 went with the first guide and we went with the second guide. There wasn't anyone to really help you.

We decided on an all day excursion from Princess to Schwerin Castle which looks like a fairy tale castle.

We were supposed to dock in Warnemunde but was changed to Rostock. From Rostock to Schwerin is about 90 minutes and luck would have it another nice day. Part sunny and part cloudy with wind I took a rain jacket and beanie hat. Once we got there we took a 20 minute boat ride around the lake to get some different views of the castle and these were my best photos of the castle. Once we got off we took a little train looking car around the small town to see the neighborhoods and streets which also took around 20 minutes. Then back to the castle for a walk around the gardens and in for a guided tour of the castle. You can take photos but no flash or video. It took about 45 minutes or so to view the palace of ornate rooms and then back to the market square for a half hour of shopping.

There weren't any souvienier shops with magnets, etc. but more candy, chocolate and stationary shops. Then off to lunch that was included with our tour which was a 3 course meal with beer or wine. Since I'm in Germany I'm going to have beer. (Even though I'm not a beer drinker) . It just seemed like the thing I should do.

Since we are vegetarians we had a pasta dish with mushrooms and I was really surprised that I liked it so much. There was also soup and a creme cherry desert. Right after, we headed back to Rostock and went to the St. Mary cathedral for a guided tour and saw the famous "Astrology clock". I thought that were would be some free time for shopping but we didn't, so back to the ship. Because of high winds we were advised by the captain that we probably won't be leaving tonight for safety reasons. I also thought for the first time ever I would see the "Watercolor Fantasy" fountain display at 9:00 p.m. but because of high winds that was also cancelled. Tomorrow is a sea day and then Estonia but it may get changed because of the winds.

Which it did.

PurpleTraveller is doing a Baltic Heritage review and talks about passing a submarine and luckily we were on top to see it. Here's the Crown and we waved at each other. Lol a91ffac71eb539d9bba2fa0f0e8ae9a9.jpgba9bb455b624f2d982a45c9371b4a934.jpg531da83b79f4433e750f2cab37c46235.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Here is a photo of Regal Princess from Crown Princess as we passed.

1c56ea8e5119d479d1f8b61ef893d093.jpg

Really enjoying your review and photos.

Sent from my A1601 using Forums mobile app

We are going to the Baltic next year, so I have made notes re Schwerin Castle and the astrological clock, which we didn't visit in 2015.

Many thanks.

Hi Jackie, We also did the Princess excursion for that. I didn't research any other company's for that one but I believe it was about a 40 min drive? Maybe longer I can't remember. We were supposed to dock in Warnemunde and this excursion would take us to Rostock for St. Mary's Cathedral and the clock, but we actually docked in Rostock. Berlin seemed a little far too go, and I heard from other passengers it rained that day in Berlin. The thing is you can board in Copenhagen, Berlin or St. Petersburg for your cruise. The majority did Copenhagen but you can spend a couple extra days wherever you embark.