Time to make tour of Alcatraz question

Sailing on Explorer of the Seas in September. Looking to take a tour of Alcatraz and City Tour. Arrival time is 8:00 AM and tour is 9:30 AM. Will this be enough time for debarkation to get to the tour.leaving from Union Square?

Sailing on Explorer of the Seas in September. Looking to take a tour of Alcatraz and City Tour. Arrival time is 8:00 AM and tour is 9:30 AM. Will this be enough time for debarkation to get to the tour.leaving from Union Square?

Explorer comes into Pier 27 or Pier 35 depending on the week you are sailing. Here is a link to the port schedule so you can check which pier you will be coming into.

http://sfport.com/sites/default/files/Cruises/Docs/2017.pdf

You should make that tour if there are no issues but it is over a 30 minute walk from either pier. Cab might be a better choice.

Explorer comes into Pier 27 or Pier 35 depending on the week you are sailing. Here is a link to the port schedule so you can check which pier you will be coming into.

http://sfport.com/sites/default/files/Cruises/Docs/2017.pdf

You should make that tour if there are no issues but it is over a 30 minute walk from either pier. Cab might be a better choice.

Thank you for the assist. Looks like Pier 35.

Thank you for the assist. Looks like Pier 35.

You're welcome.

Have you considered doing Alcatraz on your own? You are right right by where the ferry leaves from. You can buy tickets online before you leave but I would check now, because they sell out quickly.

You could then find just a hop on hop off to do.

Would probably be cheaper.

Edit to add link:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Still tickets available for early ferry to Alcatraz if you are on September 25th sailing.

Edited by reallyitsmema

You will have no issue getting from the ship to where the ferry leaves. If you Google Earth it you will see it's about a softball throw away.

We did the tour last year and it's very cool. There was a former prisoner signing his book in the gift shop and we got one. I doubt he will be around to much longer so grab one if you can.

I would do the night tour if possible. It would be a little spooky.

but it is over a 30 minute walk from either pier. Cab might be a better choice.

You're joking, right? The Alcatraz ferry leaves from an area between pier 33 and 31, it's maybe a ten minute walk from the time you hit the sidewalk outside either cruise terminal. If you dock at 35 it's at most a five minute walk.

You're joking, right? The Alcatraz ferry leaves from an area between pier 33 and 31, it's maybe a ten minute walk from the time you hit the sidewalk outside either cruise terminal. If you dock at 35 it's at most a five minute walk.

Why don't you go back and read the OP. The tour the OP is meeting is leaving from Union Square. I suggested that they not take that tour and do an Alcatraz tour on their own because they are so close to where the Alcatraz ferries leave from.

OK, I missed that. But, there is no way to walk from the pier to Union Square in 30 min's either. It's almost two miles and some is pretty steep hills. Is this a ship tour? I am guessing it's not. But if it is they will get you to Union Square.

I agree that I would do the Alcatraz tour on my own. Very easy and you should be able to still get tickets. I used a 3rd party site and had to put in my three choices of times (they were only 30 min apart) and I got my 1st choice. I would also try to do the night tour.

We also did a "Wild SF Walking Tour" one weekend while staying at Union Square. It was great fun and they have plenty of various types of tours. We did the China Town tour, but I would love to do the Haight or Castro tour. They leave from all over the city.

Uber is easy to use in the City. There is also the "F" line historic muni buses which travel where you want to go. They are restored electric street cars from all over the US and much easier to ride than the cable car with better stops.

Personally, I would book the night tour to Alcatraz and then some other tour or two of the city. I highly suggest checking out the Wild SF Walking Tours.

OK, I missed that. But, there is no way to walk from the pier to Union Square in 30 min's either. It's almost two miles and some is pretty steep hills. Is this a ship tour? I am guessing it's not. But if it is they will get you to Union Square.

I agree that I would do the Alcatraz tour on my own. Very easy and you should be able to still get tickets. I used a 3rd party site and had to put in my three choices of times (they were only 30 min apart) and I got my 1st choice. I would also try to do the night tour.

We also did a "Wild SF Walking Tour" one weekend while staying at Union Square. It was great fun and they have plenty of various types of tours. We did the China Town tour, but I would love to do the Haight or Castro tour. They leave from all over the city.

Uber is easy to use in the City. There is also the "F" line historic muni buses which travel where you want to go. They are restored electric street cars from all over the US and much easier to ride than the cable car with better stops.

Personally, I would book the night tour to Alcatraz and then some other tour or two of the city. I highly suggest checking out the Wild SF Walking Tours.

No one said you could walk there in 30 minutes, I told him it was more than a 30 minute walk and suggested a cab. The OP doesn't want to do Alcatraz on his own since it is his first time visiting San Francisco. He needs to do what he is comfortable with.

No one said you could walk there in 30 minutes, I told him it was more than a 30 minute walk

So we agree it's more than a 30 min walk and there are plenty of better options. I know they will enjoy "The City". Just don't call it "Frisco."

You will have no issue getting from the ship to where the ferry leaves. If you Google Earth it you will see it's about a softball throw away.

We did the tour last year and it's very cool. There was a former prisoner signing his book in the gift shop and we got one. I doubt he will be around to much longer so grab one if you can.

I would do the night tour if possible. It would be a little spooky.

I toured Alcatraz in 1994 .... and there was a murderer/author signing books. First, I didn't buy the book and 2nd ... I thought criminals couldn't profit from their crimes?

We stayed overnight in San Fran, back in 1997. Prior to our flying to Hawaii, for our 35th anniversary.

We did a tour of Alcatraz on our own. We also met a former inmate, and bought his book. Don't think it could be the same man, as he was in Alcatraz back in 40's.

We didn't do a formal tour, just walked around on our own. Took our time and really enjoyed seeing the famous prison.

I have to say tho, that long walk up the hill(mountain) to the prison, was brutal. I was a lot younger back in 97. No way could I ever do that now days.

How they marched the prisoners up there, in heavy chains, without killing them, I sure have to wonder. LOL

Thanks again for all the information...I love this site.

I guess the real question should have been- once we arrive how long before we can disembark from the ship.

I also know weather and other issues could be a factor.

Thanks again for all the information...I love this site.

I guess the real question should have been- once we arrive how long before we can disembark from the ship.

I also know weather and other issues could be a factor.

The first guests should be able to get off the ship within 30 minutes of arrival.

I toured Alcatraz in 1994 .... and there was a murderer/author signing books. First, I didn't buy the book and 2nd ... I thought criminals couldn't profit from their crimes?

The inmate who was there when we were there last June was William Baker and he wasn't a murderer. He was there in the 1950's. There have been a couple of other inmates who wrote books and may have done book signings also. I can't find where any of them were in for murder.

Not profiting from your crime is related to the crime and not your time in prison. I am guessing the "Son of Sam" law wasn't retroactive to the 1940's and 1950's, since it didn't go into effect until the 1970's.

Sailing on Explorer of the Seas in September. Looking to take a tour of Alcatraz and City Tour. Arrival time is 8:00 AM and tour is 9:30 AM.

Are you on the Sept 22nd sailing (in SF on the 25/26th)? If yes, we would be happy to meet with you on the ship and get you over to the ferry to save the trip to Union Square. We go to SF often since we live local. This could save you time/money.

If you're interested, come to our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322698

You're welcome.

Have you considered doing Alcatraz on your own? You are right right by where the ferry leaves from. You can buy tickets online before you leave but I would check now, because they sell out quickly.

You could then find just a hop on hop off to do.

Would probably be cheaper.

Edit to add link:

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Still tickets available for early ferry to Alcatraz if you are on September 25th sailing.

I second this idea.

As a former native to this area. When you return from Alcatraz, the Embarcadero is very walkable if you would like to see the Ferry Building, the Exploratorium, and Fisherman's Wharf. China Town is also a walkable distance.

Another option is to do the hop on and off tour which gives you a little more flexibility to see things on your own time. Busses travel around a loop regularly and you get on and off when you feel like it.

San Francisco Tours

This is a little off topic, but Alcatraz tickets do sell out. I'd look into buying ahead.

Absolutely important. The national park service site will usually show "sold out", but there are a few third party sellers that will have tickets. I used http://www.alcatrazcruises.com and had to give them my date and three choices of times. About two weeks prior they notified me of my time, which I could have canceled if it didn't work. I only booked two months in advance and was surprised my date was still available for June. I just checked their www site and looks like they are sold out now until mid-August.

Alcatraz is very easy on your own

Its right next door to the Terminal you will be at

When you get off the ship take a left out the door of the terminal and than another left at Pier 33

Couple minutes max

When you come back from the tour turn right go to Pier 39 have lunch at Pier Market Seafood

:Than for desert on your may back out stop by Trishs mini donuts and grab a bag

Go back to the front of Pier 39 and get on a HOHO bus

There are lots of things to do in SF

Just suggestions from a local to any first time tourist on a cruise ship

The inmate who was there when we were there last June was William Baker and he wasn't a murderer. He was there in the 1950's. There have been a couple of other inmates who wrote books and may have done book signings also. I can't find where any of them were in for murder.

Not profiting from your crime is related to the crime and not your time in prison. I am guessing the "Son of Sam" law wasn't retroactive to the 1940's and 1950's, since it didn't go into effect until the 1970's.

I think he signs there quite often, I was on Alcatraz on Wednesday last week (July 5th) and he was there signing!