Just received a strange upgrade

amanda384

Hi everyone! We're on the Regal over Thanksgiving for the 7 day western caribbean and we booked Marina 305, a balcony mid-forward right near the elevators.

Today I received an "upgrade" notification from Princess via email. I was very excited! Then I saw that they moved us to Dolphin 305. :') It looks exactly the same to me. Am I missing something? How is that an upgrade? I haven't decided if it is worth the effort to switch back or if I should just roll with it.

It's an upgrade because it's higher category an a bit more expensive due to being not on Marina. I would be happy with it and keep D305. Marina is great because you are right below the action, but you also may hear the noise from up above you.

Good points, I didn't think of sound. I was thinking along the lines of room size. We stayed on the Lido Deck on Caribbean Princess and didn't mind the noise, but that is actually very different from being right *below* the noise!

I paid my final payment and went into the web site to finish paperwork and found they had given me a 1 cat upgrade, no big deal except no one told or ask me. That is the part of it I found so strange, because I have cruised a lot and never had this happen. I booked with my TA, not princess but won't have any answers until she answers my e-mail asking her about it.

We were on the Regal this year in cabin M409. The seawalk was one floor above us and just around the corner so passengers could not see into our balcony. Wonderful room with larger balcony but the noise from the pool party and the movies kept us awake until 11 pm. Marina deck is cheaper because of noise level so yes going to dolphin is considered an upgrade. We booked our exact same cabin one floor lower to reduce the noise and we will pay more.

I paid my final payment and went into the web site to finish paperwork and found they had given me a 1 cat upgrade, no big deal except no one told or ask me. That is the part of it I found so strange, because I have cruised a lot and never had this happen. I booked with my TA, not princess but won't have any answers until she answers my e-mail asking her about it.

Sounds like maybe the TA dropped the ball regarding the notification?

Unless your TA marked the reservation as No Upgrade or Meta Upgrade (I think that's the term), Princess can upgrade your cabin without notice.

When booking guarantees I often learned of cabin upgrades before my TA.

My TA will always respond to questions, even if it is "I won't have access to that information until Monday". No response to an email is not great service IMO.

Now I remember why I love this TA - after getting my e-mail she got on the phone with Princess and got us a real upgrade (inside to full ocean view) plus an extra $125 OBC. The best part it is on Plaza Deck which is our favorite. Bless her heart!!

Now I remember why I love this TA - after getting my e-mail she got on the phone with Princess and got us a real upgrade (inside to full ocean view) plus an extra $125 OBC. The best part it is on Plaza Deck which is our favorite. Bless her heart!!

Happy to hear this. She reminds me of our TA. She has done things like that too.

We also received a notice of upgrade on this same cruise. I booked BV(obstructed balcony that is not really obstructed straight out) #E428 with larger balcony and was upgraded to DE(deluxe balcony no obstruction) #E724. Can't really decide if I like it or not. I know cabin is larger w/small sofa but cabin is 2nd to last aft cabin while original was midship. Opinions/advice anyone?

Anytime you make a Princess booking, make sure your TA marks your booking with one of the following:

Will accept ANY upgrade

Will accept only a META upgrade (from one cabin type to the next, i.e. from balcony to mini or from inside to oceanview)

Will NOT accept any upgrade

If one of these isn't on your booking, they can move you anytime and to any cabin they want. Often times, they don't even send a fax or email fax to agents to let them know they're doing this. Or, they'll send it but it gets overlooked by a busy agent. You can still be moved, so if you like where you're at now, have her mark your booking as "no upgrade" from this point.

• 5 months later...

Woah! Had to do a double-take because this exact same things happened to me. Booked M305 for 1/21/18 (just 10 more days!), but they gave us an upgrade to D-400-something. In my case I had them change us back. I love the convenient location of M305, right next to a single flight of stairs to the Lido deck. It helps that my wife and I are night owls- I doubt we'll go to bed before 11 or 12 at any point in the cruise. Just fingers-crossed there's not too much early morning noise. On the diagram it looks like we're right under some kind of service area behind the Trident Grill.