Maho Beach - St. Maarten - BEWARE

I completely agree with you. One death out of tens of thousands of people hardly rates shutting things down for all. As I said in an earlier post, how many people die every year on ski slopes. Skiing doesn't get shut down.

As am I.:)

I feel so pathetic. I have visited St Maarten at least 5 or 6 times. We almost always do the same thing... First time I went my scuba diving trip got abandoned by the locals on a Carnival cruise. So, we wandered into Philipsburg, and bought alcohol and Cuban cigars, while our wives were visiting the topless beach. Then every time after we took at cab to Marigot, shopped the cute French shops and ate lunch at the harbor at the Tropicana, where they reward us with their vanilla rum after lunch drink then we cab back to Philipsburg and we shop the jewelry stores and one time about a decade and a half ago bought something. Then we take the water taxi back to the ship and sail away.

I am boring

JC

PS I love watching planes take off and land. That said, I am not a big fan of being sandblasted. It has enough power to make a giant airplane full of fuel people and luggage take off. Um, thanks but no thanks.

I feel so pathetic. I have visited St Maarten at least 5 or 6 times. We almost always do the same thing... First time I went my scuba diving trip got abandoned by the locals on a Carnival cruise. So, we wandered into Philipsburg, and bought alcohol and Cuban cigars, while our wives were visiting the topless beach. Then every time after we took at cab to Marigot, shopped the cute French shops and ate lunch at the harbor at the Tropicana, where they reward us with their vanilla rum after lunch drink then we cab back to Philipsburg and we shop the jewelry stores and one time about a decade and a half ago bought something. Then we take the water taxi back to the ship and sail away.

I am boring

JC

PS I love watching planes take off and land. That said, I am not a big fan of being sandblasted. It has enough power to make a giant airplane full of fuel people and luggage take off. Um, thanks but no thanks.

I was not a big fan of motorcycles until I got on one. We all get our thrills from different things. I get that not everyone finds the thought of hanging onto a fence while a 747 spools up for takeoff to be very appealing. After we did it my brother and I just sort of looked at each other and had such adrenal rushes. I'll never forget it .:cool: Our mother, who watched the escapade, just said... you two enjoyed that?:confused:

Is running down a street with a bunch of bulls chasing after you stupid? The folks over in Spain don't seem to think so.

True but they know that the stupid Americans are going to get themselves gored. If no Americans show up, they probably would cancel the running of the bulls.

On motorcycles. Had two from the age of 12 to about 20. I loved riding off road, but I remember a dog coming out on the road on a damp road, and sliding off between a bolder and a telephone pole. Then on a road trip a buddy ending up through a pickup trucks windshield, was the final straw. They are exciting, but I prefer my MINI on the road, and my seadoo on the water.

JC

I can't believe we're reading this! (Don't forget your HOT coffee (that you asked for to be hot) might be hot... your life is in danger every where, Maho beach its beautiful! And peaceful, don't forget, those two, that's what you're looking for right? So are many people, so.. you're going to find many people there, also several sign about planes, (in case you don't know that planes can be dangerous) so my point, naming a place dangerous because the stupidity you do, is irresponsible.. you are the danger there, been there plenty of times, never seen something like that, I'm sorry for what happened but... last thing we need is to close that beach because we as an adult can't take precautions...

I can't believe we're reading this! (Don't forget your HOT coffee (that you asked for to be hot) might be hot... your life is in danger every where, Maho beach its beautiful! And peaceful, don't forget, those two, that's what you're looking for right? So are many people, so.. you're going to find many people there, also several sign about planes, (in case you don't know that planes can be dangerous) so my point, naming a place dangerous because the stupidity you do, is irresponsible.. you are the danger there, been there plenty of times, never seen something like that, I'm sorry for what happened but... last thing we need is to close that beach because we as an adult can't take precautions...

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your very first post!:D

It is not so mush as being far enough away as not being directly behind the plane. You can be at the fence, to the right or left of the runway, just not directly behind the plane. It also makes a difference what type of plane is taking off as some have two engines that are causing the turbulence and others have one. Other planes have even more, so just don't line up at the end of the runway.
No jet flying over water has 1 engine. Except maybe small private one

True but they know that the stupid Americans are going to get themselves gored. If no Americans show up, they probably would cancel the running of the bulls.

On motorcycles. Had two from the age of 12 to about 20. I loved riding off road, but I remember a dog coming out on the road on a damp road, and sliding off between a bolder and a telephone pole. Then on a road trip a buddy ending up through a pickup trucks windshield, was the final straw. They are exciting, but I prefer my MINI on the road, and my seadoo on the water.

JC

I stopped riding motorcycles years ago. I quit when I got my Weimaraner because she refused to stay home alone. She pretty much loved the back seat of the car so the motorcycle had to go in favor of the dog. To this day I am convinced that dog saved my life by forcing me to give up riding. She was the best dog I ever had. I couldn't eat for three days when I lost her.

Yes, and I've seen Evil Knevil too, but these are more professionals.:*

Maybe some day we will end up on the same ship and in St. Maarten together. We can go over to Maho and I'll introduce you to the dark side with all its forces. You will never be the same again.;p:D

Maybe some day we will end up on the same ship and in St. Maarten together. We can go over to Maho and I'll introduce you to the dark side with all its forces. You will never be the same again.;p:D

Well ending up on a ship with you is on my bucket list.

Although, just watching the planes fly by close will be exciting enough for me..

JC

Well as long as we have lunch at the Tropicana in Marigot, and I buy a $200 French polo, I am willing to hang out on a beach with you..... Of course, we love visiting the Pilones store in Marigot, need some cute French knic knac to take home too.

I haven't been back since we did a side to side, and when we got on the Indy after the Oasis, the extremely ugly port security took my vanilla rum I purchased and threw it away when I got back from the Indy cruise it was no longer available for me to pick up. I am still PO'd.

JC

Yes, and I've seen Evil Knevil too, but these are more professionals.:*

ever see skydivers???? how about gliders??? kiters? motocross? fire walkers? beds of nails? knife throwing, heck hunters????

we were at Maho in January. I watched many many planes, I stood on the beach. I read the signs, I didn't think it was worth the effort to cling to the fence that is clearly marked dangerous, but I respect those that make that choice as their decision to be dangerous. She ignored the signs, and there are many many of them. Is it sad she died, sure, but she died doing what she knew was dangerous. making poor decisions does not exempt us from the consequences of those decisions. It also doesn't make it right to declare that all of us be restricted from making our own decision. may she RIP, but she died doing a thrill, and she got that thrill even if it was her last.

I have watched cliff divers in Acupolco... do they have cliffs in Jamaica????

JC

yep

Nowhere is the cliff-diving craze more popular than at Rick's Café in Negril, Jamaica. The café sits atop picturesque cliffs and is ranked as one of the top 10 bars in the world. Besides the view, the main attraction is a 35 foot cliff where tourist line up to leap off into the turquoise waters below.May 4, 2016

Interesting article pointing out the pros and cons of how to deal with Maho Beach after a fatal incident.

The bottom line IMO is nothing will change at the site.

St. Maarten's revenue comes 100% from tourism and Maho Beach is a definite tourist attraction.

Businesses from the Sonesta hotel to the Sunset Grill to the taxi drivers and water taxi operators have too much invested for any change to occur, not to mention the road is a main conduit from Phillipsburg to Marigot.

For those who have never experienced the feeling of a plane flying directly over your head this article should act as an impetus to go there before any possible change could occur.

I went in 2013 and enjoyed it that much, I've booked to go in December. I hope nothing changes. I'm taking a friend who has never cruised or been to the Caribbean and she's looking forward to it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk