Maho Beach - St. Maarten - BEWARE

People choose to do dangerous things in life all the time. Sometimes things go wrong. What is the difference between this or strapping your feet to a board and going down a ski slope at 30 miles and hr. and even much faster for the racers? Tens of thousands of people do this every winter and live to tell the story. How about barreling down an interstate on a motorcycle at 60 mph? Tens of thousands of people have surfed the fence at Maho and lived to tell the story. It is a chance some people choose to take.

No need to warn folks to "beware". Signs stating as such already exist and have existed for years warning people of the danger involved if you CHOOSE to hang on to the fence. Kind of like needing to warn folks to not use a hairdryer in the bathtub.

Been there twice. The first time two women (ahem, girls) clung to the fence. One had a short skirt and forgot she wasn't wearing undies. Every time a plane landed, her skirt would blow up and guys flocked across the street to take pictures. The other girl had a tiny purse she set down. OK. If you have to cling to a fence what the heck is going to happen to your purse? Last time I saw it, it was in the sea.

The last time saw no fence clingers. I did notice they added a second fence next to the guard rail I think in hopes that people wouldn't stand in the street to fence cling.

Mayo Beach is perfectly safe. Been there several times and enjoyed each visit.

It's the fence hangers who go across the street and can't read signs are the ones in danger

This is absolutely the case. If you go there and follow the signs, which are EVERYWHERE, you will be fine. Stay on the beach side of the road and no worries! It's a fun place to visit. Frankly, the beach isn't too bad either.

Been there twice. The first time two women (ahem, girls) clung to the fence. One had a short skirt and forgot she wasn't wearing undies. Every time a plane landed, her skirt would blow up and guys flocked across the street to take pictures. The other girl had a tiny purse she set down. OK. If you have to cling to a fence what the heck is going to happen to your purse? Last time I saw it, it was in the sea.

The last time saw no fence clingers. I did notice they added a second fence next to the guard rail I think in hopes that people wouldn't stand in the street to fence cling.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she "forgot" she wasn't wearing underwear. :')