Royal Wi-Fi or Verizon Travel Pass, or??

I have never purchased an international phone plan, and rarely have ever used internet on a ship so this is rookie level here for me. Explain it like I'm 5.

For a 3 day weekend cruise to CocoCay and Nassau if we want to stay in touch with our son at home would we be better off with Wi-Fi from the ship, or to activate the Verizon Pass for $10 per line per day (can just do one line, that's enough). Does anyone have experience with cell service at CocoCay specifically? Is there Royal Wi-Fi at CocoCay or only onboard the ship?

When at sea and/or CocoCay, what are the connectivity options?

I am not particularly interested in streaming anything or surfing online, but access to voice or text or email with home would be great.

What is the current onboard coupon for Diamond use internet? Is it 1 24 hour period per person? Is this to be used only in ship computer room or can it be used on our own device? If the goal is to just have access to contact back home is this sufficient on a 3 day cruise?

To my knowledge, there is no WiFi or cell service on the island of Coco Cay. However, the ship's WiFi will be functional while anchored there, so if you are onboard, you will have the ability to use WiFi.

Current DIamond coupon for each Diamond level guest is $20 off a package OR one free 24-hour continuous period of internet.

To my knowledge, there is no WiFi or cell service on the island of Coco Cay. However, the ship's WiFi will be functional while anchored there, so if you are onboard, you will have the ability to use WiFi.

Current DIamond coupon for each Diamond level guest is $20 off a package OR one free 24-hour continuous period of internet.

Would it be possible to do something like this?

Coupon one: Activate one coupon at 9PM Friday; good until Saturday 9PM.

Coupon two: Activate early Sunday morning; good until Monday morning as we get back into range of Miami cell service.

Just have the sleeping time of Saturday night into Sunday as a gap, and I guess dinner time the first night too.

Would it be possible to do something like this?

Coupon one: Activate one coupon at 9PM Friday; good until Saturday 9PM.

Coupon two: Activate early Sunday morning; good until Monday morning as we get back into range of Miami cell service.

Just have the sleeping time of Saturday night into Sunday as a gap, and I guess dinner time the first night too.

Yes, that would work fine. You can activate a coupon at any time just using your wireless device, and you get 24 hours from that time.

If it were me, and you are both diamond,consider this. First night you use Verizon cellular data...you'll have a signal for a long while. First full day, one of you sign up for your free diamond day. The other does it next day. Then back to cellular when you get home. Just be careful about your data usage unless you have an unlimited plan.

We're D+ but use the coupons the way already stated. Use one 24 hr period over 2 days. Then we'll have a gap until I start another 24 hr coupon the next day. I'm checking email. I tell my family to text me if they need me, which thankfully they never have. On Verizon it's .05 to receive a text and .50 to send one. Enjoy your trip.

On Verizon it's .05 to receive a text and .50 to send one.

Right, but, when you leave the phone connected to the ship's cell tower you run the risk of calls and other unwanted stuff coming in and running up your bill.

Long time Verizon customer, and too many RCCL cruises to count. :) Here's a few things to keep in mind:

1. Without using ship's wifi, you will have no access to text other people that you are with. We use imessage and kik, which runs off of wifi connectivity.

2. On the ship Verizon charges .50 for each text message received and .05 for each text message you sent. You can check this through Verizon international calling plans. Just put the name of the ship in the search area. Just make sure if you use this option you know how to turn your data off so you don't continually get charged!

3. We constantly use the wifi text messaging since we have different staterooms and everyone goes their own way. It's a great way to stay in touch.

4. In Nassau, you can go to Starbucks. It's right off the port. Make a right on that street when you get out of the terminal. I think it's Bay Street. Walk down about 3 blocks and go left. Starbucks will be on your right side. Ask anyone where it is. There are also seats upstairs. They have free wifi, although it can be pretty slow. Bahamas Tel is not exactly the quickest. :)

Have a great cruise!

Oh, and very important. If you do decide to go with the Verizon option, you have to do it before you sail. I would do it while you are driving to the port or the night before since 611 can be slow sometimes. Once the ship sails, you get into international water VERY quickly. I would not rely on that as an option. And keep the international Verizon number handy 011-1-908-559-4899 if you have any problems.

Funny, I started cruising years ago when there was absolutely no connectivity on any ship (except for $10.99/minute phone calls from the stateroom) so that business people could never get a hold of me. How times have changed! :)

I have the Verizon International Pass, but have not used it yet. I am going to go on an 8 week trip, including a 23 day cruise. I used the trip planner on the Verizon website. It asks for all the countries visited and any cruise ships. It said that half my trip was covered by the plan and the RCL ship and half the ports were not. Like the other person said they charge extra for everything in those places. I believe calling was $2.99/minute.

My husband and I always used our Diamond level days. And yes you can use your own devices.

That did not use to be the case.

Thanks for the input on how to handle this everyone. I'm normally airplane mode/in the safe kind of guy, but with leaving kids behind we need to be able to check in.

I thought you were a woman. wow

On Verizon I think it is .50 to send a text and .05 to receive at text.

Not sure how it works on other ships, but on Anthem, we were able to send and receive texts between iphones with the wifi onboard, without a plan.

With only 2 port days, the Verizon monthly international plans are not worth it to you. If you want to be safe, sign up for TravelPass so if you want to use it, you can. They will send you a notification when you enter the country and let you know that any services you use will activate TravelPass. If you don't use it, you will not be charged the $10.

Otherwise, just plan to use your internet coupons for email or maybe the wifi for iPhone messaging (not sure that works on every ship).

Edited by marci22

I didn't have to get any additional plans with Verizon I stayed on airplane mode and as long as I would hook to the Royal WiFi I had no issues at all no extra charges or nothing as far as Verizon was concerned and I was able to use my phone and all the ports communication was very easy between messaging on Verizon as well as messaging through Facebook and there was also an opportunity for Skype if needed and I came back after 10 days with no extra Verizon charges at all

Sent from my SM-T377V using Forums mobile app

I didn't have to get any additional plans with Verizon I stayed on airplane mode and as long as I would hook to the Royal WiFi I had no issues at all no extra charges or nothing as far as Verizon was concerned and I was able to use my phone and all the ports communication was very easy between messaging on Verizon as well as messaging through Facebook and there was also an opportunity for Skype if needed and I came back after 10 days with no extra Verizon charges at all

Sent from my SM-T377V using Forums mobile app

But you purchased Royal Wifi...? What kind of phone did you have?

Can you activate Wifi Calling on the way to the port or it has to be done at home? I understand you need to put in some 911 address but wasn't sure of the timing.

It must be done when connected to the cellular network.

I have never purchased an international phone plan, and rarely have ever used internet on a ship so this is rookie level here for me. Explain it like I'm 5.

For a 3 day weekend cruise to CocoCay and Nassau if we want to stay in touch with our son at home would we be better off with Wi-Fi from the ship, or to activate the Verizon Pass for $10 per line per day (can just do one line, that's enough). Does anyone have experience with cell service at CocoCay specifically? Is there Royal Wi-Fi at CocoCay or only onboard the ship?

When at sea and/or CocoCay, what are the connectivity options?

I am not particularly interested in streaming anything or surfing online, but access to voice or text or email with home would be great.

What is the current onboard coupon for Diamond use internet? Is it 1 24 hour period per person? Is this to be used only in ship computer room or can it be used on our own device? If the goal is to just have access to contact back home is this sufficient on a 3 day cruise?

It really depends on how many voice minutes you think you'll be using. Do you feel the need to really check in (by voice), or is it more of a "just in case they need to get ahold of me for an emergency" type of thing?

If it's the latter, then it may be simplest to do what we do -- nothing. In other words, leave your phone on all the time, but turn off data roaming. That means your phone will work for voice and txt, but will only work for data when you find wifi to connect to (Starbucks, McDonalds, et). Verizon will bill you at their Pay As You Go rates ($1.79min for voice and 0.50/0.05 send/receive txt (don't try to send picture txts though).

You only get charged for voice if you actually answer an incoming call, or place an outgoing call. You can just not answer incoming calls if the callerID shows it's someone you don't want to spend the money to talk to. If they leave a voicemail, you'll see the usual notification, but if you actually want to listen to the voice mail you'll have to pay the $1.79/min to make the call.

We just tell people back home to email if it's non-emergency stuff, and we can usually find wifi onshore every few days to check in. If it's emergency, then call and pay the $1.79/min. It's easier than messing with buying a special plan, trying to set up and test wifi calling if it's something you're not familiar with, messing with an expensive ship plan, etc.

But it does depend on how many voice minutes you think you'll probably use. If you plan to talk for 30 minutes, then it's worth exploring the alternatives. But for a couple of short calls it's easier to do nothing and just to pay the $1.79/min. Txt messaging (used sparingly) is fairly cheap but it tends to be spotty and not always dependable on ships and international.

The key is making sure DATA ROAMING IS OFF. That's where the danger of those runaway phone bills comes from (data roaming).

You can download the Royal app but you can't do nothing until you're on the ship you have to wait until you're actually on their Wi-Fi they will give you a code once you pay for the vroom and then you can actually access the wifi but you really can't do anything until you get into your room and get your updated code

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app