Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

There have been murders on a lot of cruise lines

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I specifically said domestic type murders, yes there have been deaths but not this type with a husband killing his wife. If you can tell of others I'd be interested but I don't know of any and we have been cruising since 1971 and are long time CC members

I specifically said domestic type murders, yes there have been deaths but not this type with a husband killing his wife. If you can tell of others I'd be interested but I don't know of any and we have been cruising since 1971 and are long time CC members

Here's just a couple. There are more, but these are just 2 examples to show that it does happen. Thankfully, it's pretty rare.

In 2009 a man (Robert McGill) beat and strangled his wife (Shirley McGill) to death in their cabin on Carnival Elation.

In April 2015, on HAL Ryndam, John Banner stabbed his wife (Darla Banner) to death, and then hung himself.

Hi all!

love to cruz ~ that is strange that there are no reports of that murder on Vista anywhere!

Talking about strange, I don't know where I read this or even if I dreamt it but somebody known to the family, but not onboard the Emerald Princess, said there was an argument with 2 men & when Kristy's scream was heard her father & brother ran to the cabin & broke down the door. Did anybody else read that?:confused:

It sure was a terrible thing to happen & I feel so sorry for her family, daughters especially, but also others who had to deal with the situation.

Tom ~ hugs to you for telling your story & just showing how fast a person can change. Very sad indeed!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Mark! We were on that sailing too, with Sharon & Murray, please tell them Hello from Mike & Joanne in Huntington Beach! They were a hoot! :D

And to Tom, big hugs, you just never know what folks have been through when we're busy having fun together! It was fun running in to you on the Ruby in April too! Are you enjoying your Elite status now?? What's next on your "cruise" list???

My next cruise, Caribbean Princess in January. After that in March 2019 on the Majestic Princess. Thanks for the hugs.

Tom😎

Hey Tom,

We are sorry to hear of your troubles and would like to send HUGS your way. We were on the Pacific Princess for the 50th Anniversary Cruise and did the "Rhythm of the Nights" excursion in PV and whale watching in Cabo San Lucas with you and Becky. It is hard to bring feelings out of the darkness into the light of day. We admire your courage

And they will take away anything like a pocket knife from you when boarding. I always say "Well, I can go to the steakhouse and get a bigger knife than that if I wanted to inflict harm on anyone." I don't get Princess' logic in some of their policies. Also, those chopping knives that one can get in Alaska (forget the name), but upon boarding the ship, they'll take those from you as well.:rolleyes:

I once bought an Ulu in Alaska, and Princess did not confiscate it when I boarded. I have also bought small pocket knives for my sons when they were teens, and those weren't confiscated either.

However, my adult son bought a very nice knife on this cruise, coincidentally in Ketchikan the morning of the day the murder occurred, with a large damascus blade made by a local artisan. They did confiscate that, and returned it to him as we debarked the ship back in Seattle.

I'm pretty sure they have guidelines as to the size and type of knives allowed or confiscated.

Here's just a couple. There are more, but these are just 2 examples to show that it does happen. Thankfully, it's pretty rare.

In 2009 a man (Robert McGill) beat and strangled his wife (Shirley McGill) to death in their cabin on Carnival Elation.

In April 2015, on HAL Ryndam, John Banner stabbed his wife (Darla Banner) to death, and then hung himself.

As far as I know I have never been on a ship when a domestic disputes ended in murder, but I have witnessed a couple doozies. The one that sticks in my head happened 8 or 9 years ago on the Voyager of the Seas. On the last day of our cruise a man discovered his wife/girlfriend (not sure about the relationship) had charged over $20,000 of jewelry![emoji15] He locked her out of the cabin and threw every last thing she owned overboard. That was quite a commotion just down the hall from us!

I believe they both spent the last night of the cruise in less plush accommodations!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to let you know how fast someone came to help my wife. I called the emergency number Medical In less then 3 to 5 minutes. The medical help was there. He call out on his walkie-talkie (alpha one) and less the 5 minutes at least 5 people came running in. It was very scary!! My wife was very bad and to this day we feel they saved her life. Just letting you know this all took place at 3:30 a.m.

P.S. Thanks again to the Medical staff on the Emerald Princess.

Tony

Sad to hear about your experience, Tony, but it's nice to see positive comments about their response. Good for them...and you two also!!

Tom

My message is for AQUAHOUND: I came back to read what other people had to say about the Murder on the Emerald Princess since I was on that ship.

This is more information for you since you are really interested in what I learned and saw that evening of the murder.

It was around 9 p.m. when I heard that medical and security was needed at deck 9 at cabin # 720. I was with friends when I decided to go investigate. I noticed that there were approx. three of the Captain's men looking into the cabin. I saw a yellow caution strip.

I did notice a security guard that was late to get to the cabin. He must have been the HAL security guard that was called.

The next day I heard that the bloody rug was being replaced in the cabin. We all thought about the next cruiser that would be in that cabin next and get the bad vibes.

I met a couple who told us that they went to see the Murder Mystery show and they told me that the actors were surprised to hear the Captain calling for security and medical. The people thought it was part of the SHOW. The show went on while a real murder was taking place.

The fake story that the cabin door was broken by the relatives is a lie because the door was open so a mystery man was the one who saved the man from jumping from the ship.

The main witness to the murder was their 8 yr.old daughter that ran out of the cabin to knock on doors to get help.

The cruisers that had cabins near by and heard the screams from the cabin and the child running to get help were the ones that did get tramatized. They have chosen to stay quiet. I heard that 200 people were interviewed by the FBI. I guess they were told to stay quiet about what happened.

I want to add that all the crew workers were told what happened and also told to not tell the customers of what really happened.

I tried to get information from them. One of them did tell me that he thought the man was approx. 60 yrs. old. His wife was much younger. I chose to not ask any more questions of them out of respect for them.

I think that the Emerald Princess was totally unprepared for a murder to take place on their ship because first of all they did make a serious mistake to inform all the cruisers of the location of the emergency problem. I thought there were going to be a lot of Looky Loos wanting to see what the problem was but I was the only one that was interested on what was really going on.

I did have lunch with the Captain and his men a few days later after the murder took place. It was a luncheon for Elite members who cruised a lot.

I think there were 30 Elite members. None of us talked about the Murder. I felt so sorry for the Captain. My friend and I hugged the Captain when we took a photo with him. I think the Captain was tramatized too because no Captain wants something bad to happen on THEIR SHIP.

Some people did say it was like Murder on the Orient Express train. It was a cruise to remember. There were many first time cruisers that did have a wonderful time on the ship.

...... I thought there were going to be a lot of Looky Loos wanting to see what the problem was but I was the only one that was interested on what was really going on.....

Interesting...

Ok, thanks for the info, we were on the Elation in 2007 for New Years and will be on Emerald in December for 31 days and in 2007 we we're on it for 17 days strangely enough it was the one and only time we saw a couple get into a physical fight by the shops. He knocked his wife down and when he tried to help her up she started kicking the crap out of him, several passengers broke it up.

Edited by goldenrod

It is like it never happened. I can't find a thing on it.

ETA: no tweets from passengers either. It likely didn't happen and at best was a rumor.

It happened, it just didn't make the news. There was also one on the Carnival triumph in 2011 as I recall.

If you are really interested in cruise crime: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/crime/ or https://www.transportation.gov/mission/safety/cruise-line-incident-reports

With this story, I too was curious if this was a rare occurrence, and then started reading here about a couple more stories, and when I went off to do my own research, found this page below showing 10 more stories on ships. Crazy, but like they say, floating city, so whatever happens on land can happen at sea too.

I was visualizing the story posted above, of the man throwing his wife's stuff overboard with her locked out of the room. When things calmed down, or when they got home, just imagine them thinking back to all her or their belongings floating at sea. Hope the house keys or passports were not in some of those belongings. Wow !!

http://listverse.com/2016/05/11/10-gruesome-cruise-ship-deaths/

For those of us who have followed since the beginning and have done some fact finding of our own.

We know that Lucy's post are not fully factual, like half the other posts with speculation and "facts" on this thread. Just skip over and move on....to me it has been fascinating, reading how much misinformation has been printed and how this thread has gone off topic so many times and the different ways posters have dealt with this tragedy, some in a very personal way.

Edited by land lover

It happened, it just didn't make the news. There was also one on the Carnival triumph in 2011 as I recall.

If you are really interested in cruise crime: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/crime/ or https://www.transportation.gov/mission/safety/cruise-line-incident-reports

Any suspicious death onboard has to be reported per the CVSSA of 2010. The link above shows the report for April-June of this year and no such death was reported by any cruiseline. I have to think a steak knife stabbing would be a reportable death. Why do you say it did happen?

We were o n the Carnival Vista out of Miami from June 18 to 25 of this year. A couple got in a very heated argument in the dining room. Man took a steak knife with him. The argument proceeded in their cabin & he stabbed her to death. I find it very odd, no mention of this anywhere: press, c.c., etc. but Princess splashed everywhere.

Just like princess no passengers were allowed to debark for hours after our arrival back to Miami. I feel very sad wondering what is happening in this crazy world we live in.

There was no murder on Carnival Vista on the June 18th sailing this year.

We were o n the Carnival Vista out of Miami from June 18 to 25 of this year. A couple got in a very heated argument in the dining room. Man took a steak knife with him. The argument proceeded in their cabin & he stabbed her to death. I find it very odd, no mention of this anywhere: press, c.c., etc. but Princess splashed everywhere.

Just like princess no passengers were allowed to debark for hours after our arrival back to Miami. I feel very sad wondering what is happening in this crazy world we live in.

It really DID happen on the Elation. We should know as we were there. Cannot understand why one murder has garnered tons of publicity and another totally buried.

What ship was it....Vista or Elation?

Often overlooked, in 1975, a lounge singer was murdered on the Sun Princess during a Mexican Riviera cruise.

The prime suspect was a band member, the victim's jilted lover. Fortunately, an LAPD homicide detective, who happened to be on board, determined that the real killer was a passenger, a car dealer, and the crime was solved before reaching port in Acapulco.

There was nothing about this at all on our local news and it's certainly a story that would likely make news. We have a local Homeland security office here and I have a friend who is a cop with them and a friend that works at the port, so I'll reach and see if they heard anything.

Edited by cjskids