Sharks

azcruzers

The only thing I've really seen from the ship was flying fish. Of course, there was Alaska, but it's a bit of an exception, with birds (including bald eagles), seals (?) on ice chunks, mountain goats, all that...but that doesn't entirely count because they're not really "at sea."

Have you ever seen sharks when cruising to the Caribbean? I mean from the ship not when diving, snorkeling, or on an excursion. I've seen a pod of dolphins and flying fish. What have you seen?

I have yet to see sharks .I cruise on the average 3 times a year to the Caribbean.

I have seen Dolphins leaving three separate Florida ports. Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Canaveral. As far as open water, just fish.

But last December, at CoCo Key and we were in the water at one of the beach areas, past the Tiki Bar, not near the main swimming lagoons... and two (smaller) sharks and a ray came past us in water no more than two feet deep. Was pretty exciting.

• 11 months later...
Have you ever seen sharks when cruising to the Caribbean? I mean from the ship not when diving, snorkeling, or on an excursion. I've seen a pod of dolphins and flying fish. What have you seen?
w

Manatees in Key West

We've seen dolphins, turtles, whales, jellyfish (super calm day, sea like a mill pond) flying fish and one night we could look down from our balcony and see some huge fish of unknown type, possibly sharks, in the area where the light were shining down along the sides of the ship. There were only a couple of them and they were BIG. Definitely not dolphins, seen so many of them to know it wasn't what I was seeing. Never broke the surface either.

Not to make light but, also have seen 10 Cuban men in a homemade raft (yes our ship stopped to assist and waited for the Coast Guard) between FL and Cuba. And like others have said, lots of junk and trash.

We have seen our share of Blacktip sharks in the Caribbean, but it has been while either SCUBA Diving or snorkeling. Sharks mostly stay under the surface and usually avoid humans. Like nearly anyone who has been a diver or frequent snorkeler we are fascinated by sharks which are beautiful to watch as they move through the sea. In over fifty years of spending lots of time in the sea we have only encountered what we might call a dangerous shark...while snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. DW spotted what we thought was a Tiger Shark, but he kept his distance well below our position.

By the way, if you ever cruise to Bora Bora, they actually have excursions where you get to swim with sharks in the open sea. They take out small groups to a shallow reef and everyone gets in the water and holds a line that is stretched in the sea. The guide then tosses out a lot of chum and within seconds there can be dozens of sharks (mostly Black Tip) and stingrays. They move in at very high speed and snatch the chum, but do not bother the humans (we hope). Blacktips have been known to attack humans, especially around Florida, and it usually happens in pretty shallow water. Nobody knows why, but its assumed they mistake humans for food...and usually let go after a few nips :).

Hank

I have seen lots of fish and birds from the ship while out to see but never sharks. I have seen sharks from the ship when coming into dock / anchor where the water is shallower and clearer though. It was around the islands in the Pacific, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Hawaii and such.