River cruise over Christmas...

Mysticalmother

More or less a newbie here....just done one River cruise (Rhone) before. We are contemplating a (Rhine) River cruise over the Christmas period Cologne to Strasbourg and return. Has anyone on here done a similar one? Did you enjoy it? Good/ not so good points? Any problems with water levels? Anything else we should know about Christmas cruises in particular? Would welcome your thoughts. (We are restricted to choice and as we dont fly, so have to travel by Train to departure point)

Thanks in advance...

We have done two post xmas cruises and one xmas cruise, all with Viking. All were magical. Cologne the xmas markets were open after xmas. The lights and decorations are wonderful The holiday dinners were excellent.

We are booked for Uniworld's 2018 Christmas to New Year cruise so are interested in any comments, as well.

We did the Uniworld Grand Christmas and New years cruise in 2011 and enjoyed it so much, did it again in 2013.

Feel free to ask questions.

RB

We did the Uniworld Grand Christmas and New years cruise in 2011 and enjoyed it so much, did it again in 2013.

RB

Repeat sailings -- that's quite an endorsement! Now we're even more excited about going, even though it's a year and a half away!

Questions: how should one dress for the New Years party? Jacket and tie for the men? Otherwise, layers for the shore excursions, I'm sure. We're from Southern California so don't want to buy heavy clothes if we can avoid it. What were the weather and water levels when you sailed? (I do realize this varies from year to year). Did you do any pre- or post-cruise stays? We're planning to fly in a day early to hit the Munich and Munich airport Christmas markets.

Repeat sailings -- that's quite an endorsement! Now we're even more excited about going, even though it's a year and a half away!

Questions: how should one dress for the New Years party? Jacket and tie for the men? Otherwise, layers for the shore excursions, I'm sure. We're from Southern California so don't want to buy heavy clothes if we can avoid it. What were the weather and water levels when you sailed? (I do realize this varies from year to year). Did you do any pre- or post-cruise stays? We're planning to fly in a day early to hit the Munich and Munich airport Christmas markets.

And we'd do it again!

We spent a few days in Nuremberg prior to boarding the ship. Getting over jet lag and seeing a few more sites on our own.

New year's eve was in a palace in Vienna. The bus could not drop us off at the door, so had to walk a few blocks on cobblestones and through crowds of people...so wear sturdy boots or shoes and bring your fancy shoes with you. Men were wearing everything from tuxedos to jeans and a sweater, but mostly jackets and ties, suits. The ladies were in everything from floor length gowns to jeans, sweatshirt and hiking boots, but mostly something with a bit of bling or sparkle.

In Vienna the parties are in the streets, so there were bands and entertainment just outside where we were. Having seen all that out the window the first time we were there, the second time, right after dinner we put on our coats to go out to the street to party until the fireworks at midnight...then rushed back indoors to dance a waltz to 'the blue danube' and watch the fireworks off in the distance through the windows.

Weather was damp. And cold. And sunny. And pleasant. Check long range forecasts prior to your trip to get an idea of what to expect. I suggest you get a down filled water resistant coat with hood. Light and warm. Hat, earmuffs, scarf, gloves and water proof or water resistant shoes or boots. Whatever you think will work for you. We are from winters that easily get to -20°C, so no worries for us.

Water levels were okay both times when we were there in the winter.

Have fun dreaming ...it'll be cruise time becore you know it.

RB

Ritabob,

Thanks for your reply. Your description of the variety of attire made me smile! We are on the Passau to Budapest cruise, with New Years Eve gala at a ballroom in Budapest, but I imagine the clothing situation will be similar. I know we'll make more of an effort than jeans and hiking boots! :D

We have done two river cruises over the Christmas and New Year's holiday, one with Avalon and one with AMA. Avalon was just ok, and they did not do much in the way of making it special. The ship offered virtually nothing for New Years Eve except a glass of champagne at midnight.

AMA was the opposite. The entire week was festive and the party for the passengers on 12/31 was a lot of fun. They arranged visits to towns not normally on the itinerary to take advantage of the markets that were still open.

Several cities do have markets that stay open after Christmas, though many are reduced in size.

NYE in Vienna was unforgettable, with an amazing fireworks display that we enjoyed from the deck of the boat. It was great to avoid the crowds.

NYE in Mainz was less impressive.

We love being in Europe over the holidays.

Finding this thread very interesting because we are debating a last minute booking for a AMA cruise beginning 12/23. Link provided of German cities very much appreciated. We are very "go with flow" travelers - but thinking about Christmas Day itself....would assume whatever city we are in for that day would be virtually shut down (as expected) - perhaps we could catch a holiday religious service in a church / cathedral which would be beautiful I am sure ... but anyone else experience being in a port on Christmas Day and if so what was the day like?

Thanks to all for your posts -

Finding this thread very interesting because we are debating a last minute booking for a AMA cruise beginning 12/23. Link provided of German cities very much appreciated. We are very "go with flow" travelers - but thinking about Christmas Day itself....would assume whatever city we are in for that day would be virtually shut down (as expected) - perhaps we could catch a holiday religious service in a church / cathedral which would be beautiful I am sure ... but anyone else experience being in a port on Christmas Day and if so what was the day like?

Thanks to all for your posts -

I have been in Europe several times on Christmas Day. We normally go to mass in the morning and then wander around wherever we are and enjoy the quiet streets and decorations.

In larger cities, there are some hotel restaurants as well as free standing restaurants open and we will stop in for a coffee or glass of wine.

A lot depends on the specific port.

RB

How cold did it get? Also, do you feel you missed anything due to the short amount of daylight during that time of year?

Thanks caviargal

what cities were on your sailing and in which cities were markets still open?

Looking at a Rhine sailing (with mostly German ports/cities) and most German markets appear to close on the 22nd or 23rd

Heidelberg and Cologne had some markets open. AMA arranged a special visit to Colmar, which was magical! Several markets were open there. Strasbourg also had a small market open.

We enjoy land trips very much at the holidays and both Berlin and Munich have several markets that stay open until the first week of January.

Edited by caviargal

We did the Rhine Christmas market cruise on Viking in 2013 and the Danube also on Viking in 2015 and both were great. I recommend you go and see all of the Christmas markets. As several have said, a lot of them do close just before Christmas, but some were still open after. You can find a list of cities and dates on the internet to help. One of the cool things we did was attend a Christmas eve mass in Koblenz, and even though it was in German, you knew what was going on as the Catholic church in Germany goes through the same format that they do in the USA. If you do that, I recommend you get there at least 45 minutes before services start as it really fills up. There are also Christmas markets in a lot of the smaller towns and villages that we visited, so look for them when you are out and about. We really lucked out with weather. The week before was tons of snow and the week after also. The week we went weather was just cold enough to feel like Christmas, but not so cold that you didn't want to be outside. Check the forecasts to give you an idea of what to expect. Water levels have been fine on all of the cruises we have done, but that doesn't mean you could have some issues when you go. Something you really can't control, so just make the best of it if it becomes an issue. One thing I would suggest is that you take an extra suitcase with you, and some bubble wrap, to bring back all the stuff you will acquire. And you will acquire more than you think you will or expect you will. (We have had to buy a new piece of luggage on each of the cruises we have been on, not just the Christmas ones, so maybe it is us.) If you go, you will have a great time and a great experience.

How cold did it get? Also, do you feel you missed anything due to the short amount of daylight during that time of year?

Each time the weather was different. During the day hovering around freezing or a degree or two warmer, but if it was damp it felt colder...and some nights when it was was windy the wind chill made it feel much colder.

Day light hours are the same here at home so it did not feel any different. Am not a photographer so it did not matter.

Wear layers and keep your extremities covered and dry and you'll be fine.

And for those wondering about what to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We were in Regensburg for Christmas Eve and many went to the cathedral for mass. Yes, it is in German, but that particular church has a boy's choir on par with the Vienna's boys choir so that was magnificent. Get to that church early if you expect to get a seat and bring a blanket. I kid you not. It was cold, really cold inside.

Christmas morning we visited the Lutheran church - they heat their space, and went for a bike ride. Everything was closed and the market was pretty much torn down and gone.

RB

Thank you all for your responses! Informative, yet have me now asking more questions! Assuming we go ahead and book...

We leave uk ...and arrive in Cologne on 22 December, so guess most Christmas markets are unlikely to be open...? Sounds like Christmas Day ( in Strasbourg) will be shut! So sightseeing will be best done with the included excursions.

Is the atmosphere on board likely to be festive....going with UK based company, so probably mainly brits on board, but boat is an Amadeus boat ( chartered I assume...)

To the boats themselves....should we go top or middle deck...quite a price difference. Have discarded bottom deck, dont fancy being below water line. I am sure its fine, but just personal choice. Any thoughts...?

Thanks

Ritabob,

Thanks for your reply. Your description of the variety of attire made me smile! We are on the Passau to Budapest cruise, with New Years Eve gala at a ballroom in Budapest, but I imagine the clothing situation will be similar. I know we'll make more of an effort than jeans and hiking boots! :D

We went with Uniworld on a Christmas Market cruise(not over Christmas though) with a couple of days in Munich first. We went Budapest to Passau. Here is a link to the thread where I did a day to day blog. Might have some helpful info in it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2284201&highlight=Papa+b+me

You'll have a great time.

Hello Mysticalmother,

so you are thinking of going on a Christmas cruise rather than a Christmas market cruise... Christmas markets close on 23rd December, but a few reopen after Christmas Day. The markets I know are not open on 24th, you will need to check carefully individual markets. All shops in Germany close early on 24th December (lunchtime or latest 4pm), trading laws prohibit any shops from opening on 25th December. Christmas is very much a family affair in Germany and France. No pub nights on 24th! You could attend mass in a cathedral or large church on Christmas Day but I am sure the cruise company will have something special planned. River cruise ships are decorated festively for the season, I am certain that the Amadeus (a good range of ships, indeed, as you assumed, chartered by the tour operator) will be a pleasant experience for you.

So as regards shopping and Christmas markets you will be very limited. A suggestion perhaps: by train to Cologne from Devon is quite a distance. I assume you will have an overnight stay. Perhaps you could make it to Brussels via Eurostar and stay there to experience the Christmas market which is very nice. If you want to treat yourself for Christmas you could book First Class on the Thalys train from Brussels to Cologne. It is very comfortable and I enjoyed the food as well (we had a lunch included in the price).

By the way, if you want to explore places, different from the UK, local public transport does run on Christmas Day but is naturally quite limited. Boxing Day is a second Christmas Day in Germany with complete shop closure, but France has a different rule: https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/france/

Edit: Forgot to mention weather. While the climate is slightly cooler than the coast of Devon you are more likely to get rain and six degrees at Christmas than snow. White Christmas does not happen that often, the brochure photographs are likely to have been taken at the beginning of December or early in January.

I hope you find the right cruise for you, is the one you are looking at five days or longer?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

• 3 months later...

Hello notamermaid....sorry for missing your reply a lot earlier and not saying thank you for some good helpful information.

We have indeed now booked our Christmas cruise , organised through Great Rail, on Amadeus Silver III. All first class rail travel included. So looking forward to doing something completely different at Christmas. We know and accept that the Christmas markets will probably all be shut, but we are not too worried about that..shopping is not high on the agenda. We are going mainly to relax and not have to worry about “catering” for Christmas at home for a change. We will just go with the flow, excursions are included, and for my husband, it will be his first taste of River cruising...maybe not typical of most , but a 6 night taster, with Christmas thrown in! Most of the passengers are likely to be british, so I am sure it will have a degree of a British christmas -ness!

We were on a cruise over Christmas last year and just assumed that everything would be closed on Christmas Day. The boat stopped in Breisach and offered a tour of the small medieval town of Riquewihr. It was an hour bus ride away, almost causing us not to go. However, we had heard the town was charming (it is) and decided we would just enjoy walking around even if everything was closed. Turns out that not only was the Christmas market in full swing, about 75% of the shops and restaurants were open. It was a lovely day and the town was filled with local families enjoying their Christmas day. Everyone was taken completely by surprise and the day turned out to be one of our best of the entire trip. The moral of this story is to:

(a) press hard on the cruise director for information regarding each offered tour on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after;

(b) do your own research, and

© lastly, don't be afraid to take a chance on something. Our experience in traveling over the holidays on cruises is that sometimes the ships err on managing expectations downward, just in case something is closed that they thought would be open.

If you are planning on eating off the boat on one of those days, do make sure you do your research into what is open and whether you will need reservations. We spent Christmas Eve in Strasbourg and ate in town at a charming bistro. Some websites have English versions but many in the smaller ports are in the local language only. There are local versions of opentable, but if you need assistance with translation, google translate is free and very easy to use. I just plugged in my questions and requests into google translate, then cut and pasted the translation into the email. Then did the reverse with the answer.

We have been on two river cruises over the holidays - one over Thanksgiving and one over Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed them. Just remember to pack warm clothes!

• 1 month later...

Hello Mysticalmother,

Thank you for your reply. I am delighted to hear you have decided on a river cruise and you are (literally right now) going with Great Rail Journeys! I happened to bump into a group in Brussels train station in 2014 and as I had the pleasure of being in First Class on that journey I was able to talk to them in the carriage. They had booked a tour with Great Rail Journeys and where going to Switzerland with an overnight stay in Cologne. One couple were repeat customers and very happy with the company. The tour manager seemed very dedicated and also chatted with me.

I am very confident you are having a great time on your ship with this company - I believe Boxing Day is spent in Mainz - and when you return perhaps you might like to post about your experience.

Have a happy New Year.

notamermaid