Is everyone uptight on SilverSea?

mdpa

Between "sky is falling politics", to food not fit for prisons, and other concerns that seem petty (dress code, videos, etc.), I got to admit just being a little concerned about the kind of people I'll be hanging around with on vacation.

I've got less than 30-days to go and need just a little reassurance that most people will be enjoying themselves on the trip. :cool:

I'm looking forward to visiting different Cultures, great food & drink, fantastic service, a little adventure, and plenty of R&R.

Oh...and for the most part, I am also looking forward to meeting new people. I am hoping some people on this forum just got into a temporary negative funk that will revert back to a positive trend.

Between "sky is falling politics", to food not fit for prisons, and other concerns that seem petty (dress code, videos, etc.), I got to admit just being a little concerned about the kind of people I'll be hanging around with on vacation.

I've got less than 30-days to go and need just a little reassurance that most people will be enjoying themselves on the trip. :cool:

I'm looking forward to visiting different Cultures, great food & drink, fantastic service, a little adventure, and plenty of R&R.

Oh...and for the most part, I am also looking forward to meeting new people. I am hoping some people on this forum just got into a temporary negative funk that will revert back to a positive trend.

The vast majority of SS guests will never have heard of cruise critic let alone know what it is. Worry not, enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most people that you meet onboard are delightful! They are folks who are interested in other cultures, like good food, enjoy being with shipmates from other countries, and more. Most but not all like dressing up in the evening. There are sufficient venues that it is not necessary to do the formal thing. The only shiny new ship is the Muse, but the others are not run down in the least. Take a look at the Silversea Watercooler thread and see what seasoned SS cruisers have to say.

My guess is that you will have a wonderful time and will likely choose SS again. I have done the Trans Atlantic crossing three years in a row. I can't wait to sail away again in November.

Appreciate the reassurance!

I tried to remove this post, realizing that even asking the question may not yield the desired outcome.

I see that you do look at the Water Cooler! Go back further and read the wonderful reports of recent cruises and look at the pics that have been posted. Most folks have warm feelings for the crew, the restaurants, other cruisers that they meet. Enjoy your cruise!

The vast majority of SS guests will never have heard of cruise critic let alone know what it is. Worry not, enjoy your cruise.

Agree with Silver Spectre, Solo mi!, etc. Things will be fine with Silversea. Just last month, we were on the Silver Spirt for eleven days, Lisbon to Rouen/France. My live/blog on this page has lots of pictures, details, etc. Never "suffered" during this sailing, nor in four other SS cruises. Good variety of interesting, friendly people on these cruises. Great staff. It's per satisfactory to be raising questions, pro or con. Let us know any other info needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 33,454 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We have met many many great people on Silversea over our five years and six cruises on the Wind and Spirit. We communicate with probably a dozen or more we've met in our 70 days and nights on Silversea. Four years ago we met a couple from Atlanta who are now our best friends in every sense. We've cruised three times with them with our fourth cruise coming up in November. We've spent Thanksgiving, New Years, Memorial Day, and 4th of July at each other's houses. We owe this great friendship to meeting on the Wind.

Mdpa

If I am the chicken little, I apologize for the sky is falling mentality which reflects other views than that of a Silversea cruise.

I have posted photos and commentary from my prior cruises.

They were positive!

Lovely mix of pax aboard.

Please enjoy.

I am going on my first SS cruise in just over a week........I am so looking forward to it:D........guess what? After 14

years of sailing on Celebrity there are the same concerns/posts/issues on that forum too.......the internet is a very

funky medium.......folks post (most are friendly and helpful).........there are different people on each forum......but

once I get on board a ship? CC stays where it is..........I mean I love posting on here but I love being on cruise

:"LIVE" so much more and most everyone on board is awesome:)....oh, I am so not uptight:)

Never confuse forums with real life. Text is too open to misunderstanding. Although I have made friends via various boards, you really don't know someone until you can see them make that wink when they're not really being serious.

That said, I have met some truly remarkable people (and have had only a couple that I actively avoided) on our SS cruises.

I'm reminded of an old story about a man who appeared at the city gates,asking for admittance. "What sort of people were at your old abode?" asked the gatekeeper.

"They were are quarrelsome and ill mannered" the traveler replied.

"You will find the same here," the gatekeeper replied, refusing admittance.

The next traveler, when asked the same question, replied "They were gracious and full of good cheer!"

"Welcome" said the gatekeeper, throwing open the gate, "You will find the same here."

Confirmation bias means we will generally find what we seek. If you look for uptight people, you will find them. Your perception may be that therefore everyone on SS is uptight. There might be uptight people, but I have yet to notice them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you look at any review site for any product - be it a cruise or a tyre pump - there will always be a spectrum of views and it's usually wise to ignore the most effusive or the most damning. The vast majority of SS cruisers are level-headed, interesting and - dare I say it - within the range of normal.

Clearly, everyone will have a pet subject on which they feel strongly and the watercooler, which the OP has visited, allows some freedom of expresssion and throws up all sorts of disparate topics and opinions. Just ignore it!

We have encountered, rarely I might add, the occasional passenger who feels the need to massage their own inadequacies by attempting to find fault with their cruise experience. You can usually tell when they vent on here whether the complaints are valid or mischievous. But such characters are rare and the majority of passengers seem intent on having a good time.

One thing's for sure if you go with an open mind and a will to enjoy the cruise and fellow passengers you will have a great time.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.

No one can ever tell you with 100% certainty that you will enjoy every minute of your cruise and enjoy every bit of food you're served. Same goes for most things I guess when it comes to reviews and like everything, things can sometimes be tarnished because something happened that's escalated a pleasant experience into a perceived bad one.

What I will say is my personal take on things on board my SS cruises have always been positive. There have been very few things if any on board that would lead me to leave any negative vibes and definitely none of any significance to me personally. . That goes from staff through to other guests and food. If you want to be hyper critical, then you will always find something no matter what, but generally, life is great being on a SS cruise. Have they always been perfect? No. I've had a few that have missed ports because of weather. We've had same rough sea moments too. Did it spoil things? Yes to a degree, but as you've pointed out it would be petty to site these events for criticism of the cruise line. Reviews should always be fair with expectations and I agree sometimes they are not just as equally complaints sometimes are completely justified.

That is true of all the sailings I've had and includes my last one in which I could just hear one or two CC members hoping it would be awful and continually paint a negative perspective about all things Silversea. That's life I'm afraid. Some will continue to make snarky comments as I've just witnessed again this morning. Just ignore it and I'll wager after your cruise you'll be back telling us what a wonderful time you've had.

Look forward to your review if you get time and better still live postings telling us "you were right... don't know what I was worried about." Here's hoping anyway.

Have a wonderful cruise.