1st Baltic Cruise Booked - A Few Questions

Mgugs46

Just booked the Serenade of the Seas, sailing out of Stockholm, Sweden next July 15th. It will also stop in Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn and St. Petersburg Russia with an overnight stay there. I don't think we could possibly be more excited and have started preliminary planning and we haven't even left our current cruise yet!

We booked a Junior Suite on the left side of the ship, based on the recommendation of the Royal Caribbean rep, who stated based on this route that side would have the best views while sailing....can anyone verify this to be the case?

We plan on arriving a day early in Stockholm, and staying a day after the cruise as well. Are there any places within reasonable train distance that we can visit as well as obviously touring Stockholm? IE, Copenhagen or Oslo, etc?

Can anyone attest to how rough the Seas are normally? I understand weather can always vary greatly, and what not, but typically how much more rough are they than say the Adriatic/Mediterranean cruises? I am usuakly fine at sea, but my wife is slightly nervous.

Packing appears to be a slight challenge as I have noticed that while this week where we are cruising temps have been mid 80s to upper 90s, the Baltic Cruise ports have been roughly 20° colder.

I am sure I'll have more questions later, but if anyone has any must see places or must take tours for these ports of call, I'm all ears - especially in St. Petersburg.

Also, Serenade is one class higher/larger than this Rhapsody ship correct?

Thanks in advance:)

Hello. I just did the same cruise last month.

I was surprised how calm the water was while sailing. I'm not sure if this was normal but it was more calm than the Mediterranean cruise I did a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello. I just did the same cruise last month.

I was surprised how calm the water was while sailing. I'm not sure if this was normal but it was more calm than the Mediterranean cruise I did a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very good to hear, thank you. Do you remember which side of the ship had the better views while sailing?

Edited by Mgugs46

Side of the ship don't make a huge difference - maybe port is the best sailing through the Stockholm Archipelago when leaving Stockholm. For the remaining part of the cruise no difference.

Sea is normally very calm during summer, however can be cold and rainy.

Oslo and Copenhagen too far away for a day trip - spend your time in Stockholm

YpQZ6D3eR-o

We did the Baltic July 18-27. Smoothest sailing I've ever done (5 Caribbean). Mostly cool, needing a sweater or jacket. We did have lovely weather in Berlin and wore shorts. We lucked out on rain. It was either before or after us in the ports.

Great trip.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

The seas are generally quite calm when you leave from Stockholm or Copenhagen. Bring layers, as it could be warm or rainy and cold anywhere along the baltics.

There are a lot of wonderful things to see in Stockholm so I'd agree with the recommendation above to stay there.

I never understand the obsession about one side or t'other. It doesn't matter.

With only 1 day at either end you can't do Stockholm justice let alone try to venture to another country.

We stayed in Gamla Stan and enjoyed being next to the old town. Restaurants were steps away.

Thought the Vasa museum overrated. Enjoyed taking the commuter ferry through the archipelago to an outer island for lunch and return.

Be sure to book a small private tour in SPB.

I'm joining Norwegian getaway in Copenhagen 1st sept . Has anyone tried boarding the ship later in the day....say 3pm instead of in the morning? I thought of spending more time enjoying Copenhagen instead of rushing to the ship. Would love to hear your opinions please

Just booked the Serenade of the Seas, sailing out of Stockholm, Sweden next July 15th. It will also stop in Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn and St. Petersburg Russia with an overnight stay there. I don't think we could possibly be more excited and have started preliminary planning and we haven't even left our current cruise yet!

We booked a Junior Suite on the left side of the ship, based on the recommendation of the Royal Caribbean rep, who stated based on this route that side would have the best views while sailing....can anyone verify this to be the case?

Can anyone attest to how rough the Seas are normally? I understand weather can always vary greatly, and what not, but typically how much more rough are they than say the Adriatic/Mediterranean cruises? I am usuakly fine at sea, but my wife is slightly nervous.

Packing appears to be a slight challenge as I have noticed that while this week where we are cruising temps have been mid 80s to upper 90s, the Baltic Cruise ports have been roughly 20° colder.

I am sure I'll have more questions later, but if anyone has any must see places or must take tours for these ports of call, I'm all ears - especially in St. Petersburg.

Also, Serenade is one class higher/larger than this Rhapsody ship correct?

Thanks in advance:)

We did the Baltic 2 years ago and we did not experience rough seas. Nice weather but don't discount the possibility of some light showers. We were on starboard side and was satisfied. Though I believe it would have matter more if we were on port side.

I never understand the obsession about one side or t'other. It doesn't matter.

With only 1 day at either end you can't do Stockholm justice let alone try to venture to another country.

We stayed in Gamla Stan and enjoyed being next to the old town. Restaurants were steps away.

Thought the Vasa museum overrated. Enjoyed taking the commuter ferry through the archipelago to an outer island for lunch and return.

Be sure to book a small private tour in SPB.

Any suggestions? We are in port from 7a, until 6p the following night. I really don't want to take the standard 60 passenger cruise ship tour. I'd like to do something that encompasses being out at night while there ... too bad you can't sleep overnight off the ship.

Any suggestions? We are in port from 7a, until 6p the following night. I really don't want to take the standard 60 passenger cruise ship tour. I'd like to do something that encompasses being out at night while there ... too bad you can't sleep overnight off the ship.

See this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49023362&postcount=2

Being out at night? Perhaps a dinner/music cruise in the archipelago?

https://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/dining-cruises/dinner-cruises/

https://www.stromma.se/en/stockholm/dining-cruises/dinner-cruises/archipelago-dinner-cruise/ departs at 19.00 and is back at 22.00

http://www.blidosundsbolaget.se/en/music-cruises/

are you talking about private tours in St Petersburg?

if so there are many recommendations on this forum-include ALLA SPB tours TJ tours Best Guides and several others

contact several with your wish list and see which one fits your needs most

most people put together a small group via their roll call to keep costs down whilst still having a more intimate experience than the 60 passenger cruise ship tour you don't want

are you talking about private tours in St Petersburg?

if so there are many recommendations on this forum-include ALLA SPB tours TJ tours Best Guides and several others

contact several with your wish list and see which one fits your needs most

most people put together a small group via their roll call to keep costs down whilst still having a more intimate experience than the 60 passenger cruise ship tour you don't want

Yes, exactly. Thank you, I'll check those companies out.

We are doing the Baltics on the Princess Regal June 2018. I was told by my TA that while in St. Petersburg if we took a ship sponsored excursion the Russian VISA is taken care of by Princess. If we do a private tour or go off on our own we have to get the VISA ourselves. I have heard it is expensive and can take sometime to get.

We are doing the Baltics on the Princess Regal June 2018. I was told by my TA that while in St. Petersburg if we took a ship sponsored excursion the Russian VISA is taken care of by Princess. If we do a private tour or go off on our own we have to get the VISA ourselves. I have heard it is expensive and can take sometime to get.

you've been given the misinformation that a lot of TAs/cruiselines give

If you want to tour St Petersburg completely on your own you will need a Visa

however both ships excursions and private tours can provide the Visa-technically a Visa waiver which is available to cruise ship passengers who are spending less than 72 hours in Russia and return to the ship to sleep

obviously the cruiselines want you to book their very expensive big bus tours and by their wording they make it appear that the only way to go is their way or an expensive full tourist Visa without mentioning this 3rd option!

If you do a bit of reading around on this forum you will find this subject comes up on a very frequent basis and those of us who have done the private tour option can reassure

that's the great thing about having cruise critic as an info source

Nasa, read thru the SPB tour company threads. That ship threat is a common one and untrue. Any reputable SPB tour company will take care of the visa, which in fact is a document they will email you and you print out and present to passport control at the pier. Very easy. Don't let the cruise line scare you. Private tours will give you flexibility, and are often cheaper or at least the same cost as the ship tour without being herded 60 at at time onto a tour bus.

Stockholm was one of my favorite stops on our Baltic cruise. I quite liked the Vasa museum. It's not common to find a fully restored ship of that age that isn't a reproduction. If you like food, check out Ostermallen (sp?). It's a large indoor food market where you can sample local foods for cheap and easy. The shopkeepers were honestly some of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever met.

IMHO, to the PP who asked, I'd spend more time in Copenhagen than get on the ship early. You'll have plenty of time for ship activities and Copenhagen is a great city.

It's cold in the Baltic for this Texas girl. I had a light weight down jacket, a windbreaker, and a sweater/hoodie. (We did a few days in Iceland on the way to the ship.) I used all of them at various times. Even the ship was cooler than I planned, and I had to buy a second hoodie since I was sick of wearing the same one every night.

Your TA is absolutely wrong. If you go thru any of the local tour guides they all obtain the necessary visa for you. We booked thru TJ Tours for this September, have a group of 31 in 3 vans. TJ has been great so far, obtained everyone's info, got the visas & provided us with tour tickets for getting off the ship. Now if you wanted to tour on your own, that's a different story....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a 12-day Baltic Sea cruise this past June on the Zuiderdam. Regarding the side of the ship, it appears that your cruise follows a clock-wise route. A couple of tips. Stay up on deck for the best views when leaving Stockholm as the ship will twist and turn through the archipelago. Just before open water and about three hours after leaving Stockholm is Soderam Lighthouse on the starboard side. About 5:00 am on Day 3 you will pass Kronstadt Fortress when entering St. Petersburg. Because you are on the port side, you will be able to pop out on your balcony to see the naval base and views of Kronstadt Cathedral. Leaving St. Petersburg,. Peterhof Palace and Putin's SPB dacha will be on the port side. The other ports arrival/departure are pretty straight forward.

Weather did factor on our arrival to Stockholm. There was too much fog for the Stockholm Port and Traffic Control to allow the Zuiderdam to enter the channel. The bridge watch slowed our approach in the early morning. We were then two hours late to our pier. On the plus side was seeing the beauty of the islands in the early morning.

Have a great cruise!

We did exactly that on July 18. You need to be on board by 3. We toured in the morning and took public transit to the pier. We were one of the last people on board. No big line up to go through.

We did exactly that on July 18. You need to be on board by 3. We toured in the morning and took public transit to the pier. We were one of the last people on board. No big line up to go through.

I'm in a similar situation where I only got day of embarkation available to tour Copenhagen. I was thinking of either keeping the luggage at the hotel, tour the city, then check-in late at the pier(around 3 PM), or dropping off the luggage super early with the porters at the pier before heading out to the city.

Were you checking in at 3PM, or did you actually walk on the ship by 3PM? Also does anybody know how early does NCL/Cruise port workers can start to accept the luggage curb side?

Thank you

I'm in a similar situation where I only got day of embarkation available to tour Copenhagen. I was thinking of either keeping the luggage at the hotel, tour the city, then check-in late at the pier(around 3 PM), or dropping off the luggage super early with the porters at the pier before heading out to the city.

Thank you

If you are staying at a hotel in the city, you may want to leave your luggage at the hotel. Oceankaj is fairly remote and would waste time by dropping bags early.

The cruise I am booked on would leave out of Stockholm on Sunday. Was thinking we may fly in to Copenhagen on Thursday am, visit for the day/night, and then take the train to Stockholm Friday, and spend 2 days pre-cruise there touring. Worth it to stop in Copenhagen for a day?