Carnival got me!

fla gang

I would consider myself a veteran cruiser, and even though I'm very careful when booking, i fell prey to a non-refundable fare earlier this year when I booked a Holland America cruise through a third party online TA. I didn't see anywhere that the fare was non-refundable. That is, until I called to cancel and I was told that the deposit was indeed non-refundable. They said that there was a general disclaimer that said that "passengers assume all responsibilities for the cruise line's cancellation policies", so I wasn't elegible for a refund.

Long story short, i raised hell. I took screen shots of the entire booking process and forwarded them to customer service. I spoke to a manager and had the matter escalated. At the end of the day, they sided with me and agreed that there was nothing on their website that indicated that indeed it was a non-refundable deposit. They said that, "as a token of good will" they would refund the deposit and they did.

But after that experience, I don't place deposits without quadruple checking that it's indeed non-refundable. OP, you may want to escalate your situation with a manager at Carnival and let them know that the agent never mentioned that he/she was booking you under a non-refundable fare. Keep your composure but stay firm and respectful. You may get what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well you went to war and won, I can imagine the hours and frustrations you had to go through. I do admire your efforts , perhaps the OP should escalate this matter further .

I have a larger group on a cruise late this year. I booked ES and had to cancel two people months apart. I wasn't charged the $50 cancellation fee. Thus it depends on the Carnival rep you get.

Thank you for the advice. I will call tomorrow. We wanted to book a year out in order to try and get as many rooms together as possible. I am hoping they will be flexible.

Thanks for your reply and explanation. I am new to Carnval we always cruise Disney. I thought I asked all the right questions, but I should have gotten an email stating it would be fine to change names.

I appreciate your response.

You're welcome. At least now you know for next time.

When I booked directly through Carnival over the phone the customer service representative told me that information right after she advised me that the call would be recorded. Research also goes a long way.

When I booked directly through Carnival over the phone the customer service representative told me that information right after she advised me that the call would be recorded. Research also goes a long way.

All call center calls are digitally recorded and monitored randomly for quality assurance. The Early Saver non refundable deposit disclosure should have been read to you as part of a scripted recap. The booking would also be notated that you were advised of the ES terms and conditions. Carnival's quality assurance department can listen to the call and simultaneously see it as step by step computer screen shots .

If you are 100% convinced that you were not advised correctly, call Carnival and ask to to be escalated to a Senior Agent and they will review your booking. They will find it using the booking number and the time stamps on the booking record.

Good Luck.

All call center calls are digitally recorded and monitored randomly for quality assurance. The Early Saver non refundable deposit disclosure should have been read to you as part of a scripted recap. The booking would also be notated that you were advised of the ES terms and conditions. Carnival's quality assurance department can listen to the call and simultaneously see it as step by step computer screen shots .

If you are 100% convinced that you were not advised correctly, call Carnival and ask to to be escalated to a Senior Agent and they will review your booking. They will find it using the booking number and the time stamps on the booking record.

Good Luck.

I was advised correctly, the original poster was not. Please read further back on the thread as your comment will apply to their concern, not mine and they will likely not see it if it's attached to my reply.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

Did you happen to read my previous post #22? There are many reasons to inform yourself before making a purchase.

Here is a link describing most of Carnival's "cabin rates". https://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

I would suggest that you call Carnival tomorrow and ask to a PVP (Personal vacation planner) and ask that they manage your booking. Ask them to clarify all your questions. If you are planning to make name changes, you very likely may have to pay some penalties. Don't put it off, you can generally get information on this site, but you would need to ask specific questions in a new thread to get the most response, but you are better off getting your answers from a Carnival rep, preferably in writing (email).

good luck

have a great cruise

I'd bet the PVP that was called and asked to manage an already booked cruise would be thrilled to work for nothing unless they have changed the way they do things.

Bill

I haven't read all of the responses but I'm going to say that the CSR should have at least mentioned Early Saver and the restrictions that come with that fare. It's not exactly according to Hoyle to sell a customer something that has restrictions without mentioning the restrictions.

So I called Carnival and booked two inside cabins. Paid the $500 per cabin, only to have something come up a couple of weeks later that was not going to allow me to go. I called to Cancel the two cabins and Carnival said you lose $50 per person and we can hold the rest of your $500 per cabin for a future cruise. So they never told me when I booked these cabins that they were early saver and non refundable. When I printed the confirmation I never knew I had to read every bit of the fine on the ticket contract all the way to the bottom. That wouldn't have mattered because they had my money end of discussion! So what did I do wrong?

I can understand your frustration! That's definitely something the rep should have disclosed while on the phone with you even though technically it is always our responsibility to read the fine print.

Did you purchase the travel insurance (if not through Carnival, then maybe through an outside vendor)? Maybe you can file a claim with them for the $50 per person you have lost?

So I called Carnival and booked two inside cabins. Paid the $500 per cabin, only to have something come up a couple of weeks later that was not going to allow me to go. I called to Cancel the two cabins and Carnival said you lose $50 per person and we can hold the rest of your $500 per cabin for a future cruise. So they never told me when I booked these cabins that they were early saver and non refundable. When I printed the confirmation I never knew I had to read every bit of the fine on the ticket contract all the way to the bottom. That wouldn't have mattered because they had my money end of discussion! So what did I do wrong?

Not scolding you or calling you out. But, my confirmation email included the following at the bottom, which appears to be the only reference to "Early Saver" on the whole document:

GUEST NOTES

1) This is confirmation that a payment was posted associated with your booking.2) Early Saver terms & conditions (T&C) apply. 50% deposit is non-refundable. $50pp fee assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date. Cancellations prior to final payment date receive future cruise credit for deposit amount less $50pp fee. FCC issued in USD & must be used within 24 months of cancel date. May reprice booking if lower cruise rate offered to general public is available based on total cabin occupancy & not from booked ancillary services or group rates. Guest assumes T&C of new promo & may forfeit features associated w/original fare (cabin assignment, OBC, upgrades, special deposit/payment terms). Verified rate difference issued as non-refundable OBC. Applicable on select sailings thru 4/30/19. Sale ends 6/12/17.

Now, I booked online, so the Early Saver conditions weren't a surprise to me, as I had to click on "Early Saver" rate to the get the price I wanted. If your confirmation didn't have this note, I can see some basis for your frustration. I need to see too much information in front of me to book over the phone. Perhaps it's a character flaw of mine...

Oh, and I booked during a 50% off deposit sale, which is why it references 50% deposit, rather than full deposit.

I know our PVP made it crystal clear that we were booking early saver. We already knew, since we had been looking online already. I would have thought anyone at Carnival's call center would have done the same. I can see how if you're not familiar with Carnival you wouldn't know what questions to ask. I know I wouldn't have back when we first started cruising.

That is their job, while we may get some argument from people saying they want to be empowered to "own" their booking, the facts (especially in this case) are that it costs nothing (sometimes cheaper), they are experts at what they do, and it would be their job to fully explains the benefits and risks tied to early saver (or any other plan).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not entirely true.....TA's make plenty of mistakes as well, and some are better than others. TA's are not 'foolproof' and make we have used some that have done 'wrong' by us....we now do it on our own and being 'empowered' to handle our own booking far surpasses expecting someone to do it for us. The OP now knows, and will not make the same mistake twice. No need to keep 'flaming' the OP here!!

Not entirely true.....TA's make plenty of mistakes as well, and some are better than others. TA's are not 'foolproof' and make we have used some that have done 'wrong' by us....we now do it on our own and being 'empowered' to handle our own booking far surpasses expecting someone to do it for us. The OP now knows, and will not make the same mistake twice. No need to keep 'flaming' the OP here!!

We can discuss the merits of a ta if you want, your call. I will start here, in no way did I flame the op, if anything just the opposite. Couple of points to throw back at you. You may feel you can do a better job than a ta or pvp, and that is certainly your prerogative to maintain control of how you book.

That said, and I am really not trying to goad you here, the fact of the matter is that they do know more than you, it's literally their job to do so. More specifically to be op, he/she most def would have been better off using either/or (and the vast majority of people who book is the same.

The op knows on this point (assuming that) what about all other aspects, all other details that are trip dependent, whether to take insurance or not and which kind and which coverage (I can on in significantly more detail here if you want)?

Of course people make mistakes, you do and I do. If a ta makes one for a client, they have protection which supports them and the client in that event. What is yours?

My original point to the op was they would have been better off with a ta or a pvp. It is a fact (despite your misguided thoughts to the contrary.

Get a good PVP and you can have the best of both worlds.

I have learned my lesson and been scolded enough for being a dumb a$$. My fault for not asking the Carnival agent if the rate was non refundable!

Please don't be too hard on yourself. The problems lies in the fact that when people call the 800# they generally want to the lowest and cheapest rate. That rate most likely be the ES fare that has the most restrictions including being non-refundable. The customer service people at Carnival are just order takers, will book your cabin and take your $. They "should" disclose that the fare you are booking has restrictions; but they don't necessary have too. They assume you know what you are booking with ES fares being non-refundable. But if you are a new cruiser that means nothing to you. You are still getting a good deal. Next time get yourself a good TA or PVP and always ask and get in writing the cancellation policy. Yes, lesson learned; but at this point put it behind you and go and have a great cruise. Once the ships pulls out of port and with a Rum Punch or two you'll forget all about it. ;p

We can discuss the merits of a ta if you want, your call. I will start here, in no way did I flame the op, if anything just the opposite. Couple of points to throw back at you. You may feel you can do a better job than a ta or pvp, and that is certainly your prerogative to maintain control of how you book.

That said, and I am really not trying to goad you here, the fact of the matter is that they do know more than you, it's literally their job to do so. More specifically to be op, he/she most def would have been better off using either/or (and the vast majority of people who book is the same.

The op knows on this point (assuming that) what about all other aspects, all other details that are trip dependent, whether to take insurance or not and which kind and which coverage (I can on in significantly more detail here if you want)?

Of course people make mistakes, you do and I do. If a ta makes one for a client, they have protection which supports them and the client in that event. What is yours?

My original point to the op was they would have been better off with a ta or a pvp. It is a fact (despite your misguided thoughts to the contrary.

Full disclosure, which hasn't been mentioned? Aren't you a TA, with a slant to your opinion?

The only time I use TA's/booking agentss is when the price is lower. I've been fortunate to have some looking for my business and offer me more.

Full disclosure, which hasn't been mentioned? Aren't you a TA, with a slant to your opinion?

The only time I use TA's/booking agentss is when the price is lower. I've been fortunate to have some looking for my business and offer me more.

I am although I think everybody's opinion is slanted one way or other, that said, mine here is based on facts. If you disagree we can discuss that.

the fact of the matter is that they do know more than you, it's literally their job to do so.

Depends on who you mean by "more than you." People suck at their jobs all the time...

I'm certainly sure I'm not better than the best PVP, but I'd go up against several of them regarding who could do me the best deal, and being an informed consumer is one's best bet.

My PVP (after about 10 years of bookings/talking/emailing/checking all the angles with them) told me, "You should be a PVP, you know more about how to work our systems and the ins and outs of our programs than probably half of the PVPs?"

It's amazing what you can find out on GOCCL.com, even w/o a login.

GP

Depends on who you mean by "more than you." People suck at their jobs all the time...

I'm certainly sure I'm not better than the best PVP, but I'd go up against several of them regarding who could do me the best deal, and being an informed consumer is one's best bet.

My PVP (after about 10 years of bookings/talking/emailing/checking all the angles with them) told me, "You should be a PVP, you know more about how to work our systems and the ins and outs of our programs than probably half of the PVPs?"

It's amazing what you can find out on GOCCL.com, even w/o a login.

GP

Of course there's bad ones just like every other occupations that said, the vast majority (like 90+% ) do know more than the average people on this site it's their job