few random questions for you all with HAL experience

wdwlvr94

We are so excited to be finally sailing on HAL next month to Alaska (Oosterdam)!

A few questions if one has time ...

- water ... can we bring on case of bottle water? OR, is it better to just order some from HAL prior to sailing

- upgrades? Do they ever offer upgrades or can we call and inquire closer to sailing date?

- drinks ... what drinks are included at meals ...mainly asking for the kiddos. Realize alcohol will be extra.

Juice or soda???

- communication with other passengers while at sea - easiest way (without using wifi on smart phones) to contact other members of our group?

Thanks so much for any answers/advice for a HAL newbie!

Ship tap water is fine for drinking but if you must have bottled water you can bring it onboard.

Soda is not free anywhere. In the Lido there are machines for iced tea and lemonade. You can also get hot tea/coffee. Juice is available for breakfast. In the main dining room you can have water, tea, or regular coffee(specialty types cost extra). Not sure if they offer something else for children.

Upgrades are sometimes offered. You can call but there are no guarantees they will have anything.

For communication with others, all cabins have a telephone so you can leave a voice message. Alternatively, post it notes work well but may be best to leave inside the room because there have been reports of notes/invitations being stolen from mailboxes. On one cruise I had, one of our party was mobility impaired and stayed by the aft pool during the day so that became our informal meeting place. From there we would gather those who wanted to do similar activities, like a particular lecture or play bingo. It worked for us.

HAL does sometimes give free upgrades (usually to those who booked guarantee cabins) and paid upsell offers. If you call them to initiate an upgrade the price will be the difference between the going rate for the higher cabin and what you have already paid. This works to your advantage if prices have gone down since you booked for the higher cabin, but against you if they have gone up. If prices have decreased, you can call and ask for a higher cabin which is then selling for roughly the same price you paid originally. We've done that twice.

Edited by catl331

We take walkie talkies to communicate. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. Depends on the ship size and where you are. We use them at home also in the big box stores and the mall. DH refuses to carry a phone. He was phone company for 35 years pre retirement.

Just remember to bring their chargers if you take them along with you.

Louise

I am new to HAL as well. We are cruising out of Amsterdam to Norway in 2018. Does HAL have internet packages. I have been searching the site but can't find anything. Cheers! Victor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every HAL ship we have been on has had the same pricing schedule: 100 min for $55, 250 min for $100, 500 min for $175, 1000 min for $250, or $0.75 /min PAYG

For a while the Zuiderdam and the Westerdam tried unlimited time packages, but I think that is now gone from both ships.

Edited by catl331

Every HAL ship we have been on has had the same pricing schedule: 100 min for $55, 250 min for $100, 500 min for $175, 1000 min for $250, or $0.75 /min PAYG

Agree. I have never seen a variance (other than an unlimited package once) in the Internet rates. What catl331 posted is standard.