Flight change dilemma - New York City - LaGuardia

bionicbeacher

Good morning everyone....we have a bit of a Flight dilemma as our Carrier has moved our flight up 1 hour and 20 minutes out of Laguardia on Oct. 15th.....our flight is now 11:05 AM. .......the ship docks at 7:15 am and we need to be at the airport 2 hrs in advance....being 9:05 am

I googled the driving time and it states 24 minutes from the pier in Manhattan to LGA......therefore we would have to be off the ship with luggage and into a cab by approx 8:30 or preferably before.

Would appreciate any comments from anyone in the know......prefer not to take our own luggage off ......in these circumstances does this seem possible/doable or should we look at changing to a later flight if at all possible

Would appreciate info from anyone who has disembarked early for similar reasons in Manhattan and traveled to LGA

Thanks

Ken

Good morning everyone....we have a bit of a Flight dilemma as our Carrier has moved our flight up 1 hour and 20 minutes out of Laguardia on Oct. 15th.....our flight is now 11:05 AM. .......the ship docks at 7:15 am and we need to be at the airport 2 hrs in advance....being 9:05 am

I googled the driving time and it states 24 minutes from the pier in Manhattan to LGA......therefore we would have to be off the ship with luggage and into a cab by approx 8:30 or preferably before.

Would appreciate any comments from anyone in the know......prefer not to take our own luggage off ......in these circumstances does this seem possible/doable or should we look at changing to a later flight if at all possible

Would appreciate info from anyone who has disembarked early for similar reasons in Manhattan and traveled to LGA

Thanks

Ken

October 15th is a Sunday so there is a possibility that you could make it. We disembarked a much larger ship in February and we were off before 9 a.m. However, there is quite a bit of construction at LGA right now so that's always a wild card. I am not sure that being worried about making a flight is the best way to end a cruise. I would probably try to change the flight if possible.

Are you certain that the ship docks in Manhattan?

Usually, Princess ships dock in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

If it is the Brooklyn location, it may affect the drive time to LGA- perhaps for the better.

I would check drive times for both Manhattan and Brooklyn to LGA.

By the way, I was recently chatting with a neighbor who drives people from our area to all the NYC area airports. He told me LGA is still under construction and is difficult to manouver in the resulting traffic.

If it was me, I would consider booking another flight time.

Good luck !:)

Are you certain that the ship docks in Manhattan?

Usually, Princess ships dock in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

If it is the Brooklyn location, it may affect the drive time to LGA- perhaps for the better.

I would check drive times for both Manhattan and Brooklyn to LGA.

By the way, I was recently chatting with a neighbor who drives people from our area to all the NYC area airports. He told me LGA is still under construction and is difficult to manouver in the resulting traffic.

If it was me, I would consider booking another flight time.

Good luck !:)

It's a Sunday so the BQE won't be bad but there is tons of construction on that too coupled with the construction at LGA could be a disaster.

I would try to change the flight. The ship may dock at 7:15 AM, but that does not mean that PAX will get off at that time. The ship has to be cleared. The ship could get in late too. You could do walk off with your luggage

I would see what other flight your air line has. Maybe even from a different airport might work. Remember, you need time to get to the gate, which could be a walk.

I would try to change the flight. The ship may dock at 7:15 AM, but that does not mean that PAX will get off at that time. The ship has to be cleared. The ship could get in late too. You could do walk off with your luggage

I would see what other flight your air line has. Maybe even from a different airport might work. Remember, you need time to get to the gate, which could be a walk.

Since the airline changed your flight, you are in the drivers seat to accept what they did or to call and make them change it. You should not be financially liable for any changes that they have to make

I so agree with above, I'm originally from Queens (and very familiar with traffic in the area). We did the New England cruise last Oct. on the Regal. What Google states as driving time and realistic time are two very different numbers. Expect plenty of delays from disembarkation to traffic and yes, the extensive construction around LGA. I too would demand another flight or look at alternative flights myself and inform them what works for you. As an aside, a similar problem happened to us on a recent Alaska trip through Flexair and I stood my ground in not wanting a redeye out of Vancouver and got what I requested after a bit of a struggle. I would not expect to make a flight any earlier than noon. Also not to mention the usual long TSA lines -- Sat. And Sun. are very heavy travel days.

The Regal has approx. 3000 passengers. Good luck to you -- be assertive!

Hi and thanks to everyone who provided some input for me.....I have taken your advice and changed flights.

I sat for 50 minutes with a phone glued to my ear before an operator came on the phone.....I was able to redo 4 bookings for ourselves and friends in the space of 8 minutes....

Thanks again for your guidance.

Ken

Since the airline changed your flight, you are in the drivers seat to accept what they did or to call and make them change it. You should not be financially liable for any changes that they have to make

I just wanted to point out that I have had one instance where I was told that this was not the case. When calling the airline to change my flight due to the fact that they moved up my flight to a time that was not convenient for me, I was told by the agent on the phone that if the airline rebooked me within two hours of my original flight time, I had to accept that change or pay a fare difference if I elected to select a different flight. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and was able to book the flight that I wanted for no additional fee. I am not sure whether they granted me a favor due to my premier status with the airline, or whether the original agent on the phone was simply wrong when she told me about the two hour window. Either way, I thought I would pass along this information for future reference since flight changes are very common for people who cruise given that we cruisers tend to book our flights so far in advance and schedules change routinely.

Thanks

Ken

https://www.dial7.com/

The pier is in Brooklyn/Red Hook.

I suggest you use a car service or Uber.

The pier is in Brooklyn/Red Hook.

I suggest you use a car service or Uber.

Colocruiser

We are on the same cruise as bionicteacher, but are looking for a car service from Red Hook to our hotel in Times Sq and then from the hotel to Newark airport the next day. Have seen dial7 recommended a few times, just wanted to check that they're reliable and efficient etc. before we book.

Colocruiser

We are on the same cruise as bionicteacher, but are looking for a car service from Red Hook to our hotel in Times Sq and then from the hotel to Newark airport the next day. Have seen dial7 recommended a few times, just wanted to check that they're reliable and efficient etc. before we book.

I've used them and they were very reliable. I've also used Carmel: https://www.carmellimo.com/

Both are recommended very often by CCers.

I've used them and they were very reliable. I've also used Carmel: https://www.carmellimo.com/

Both are recommended very often by CCers.

Thanks, just 2 last quick queries. Do you book online or over the phone? We're from the UK, but they have a UK number we can dial.

Our fight back to the UK is at 0830AM Mon 16th Oct, we would want to get to Newark Airport about 0530AM whilst it's an international long haul flight. What time roughly would we need to be picked up from our hotel?

Many Thanks

David

I just wanted to point out that I have had one instance where I was told that this was not the case. When calling the airline to change my flight due to the fact that they moved up my flight to a time that was not convenient for me, I was told by the agent on the phone that if the airline rebooked me within two hours of my original flight time, I had to accept that change or pay a fare difference if I elected to select a different flight. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and was able to book the flight that I wanted for no additional fee. I am not sure whether they granted me a favor due to my premier status with the airline, or whether the original agent on the phone was simply wrong when she told me about the two hour window. Either way, I thought I would pass along this information for future reference since flight changes are very common for people who cruise given that we cruisers tend to book our flights so far in advance and schedules change routinely.

I believe there is a standard "must have at least XX minimum time difference" clause for whether the airlines have to allow changes for no extra cost. But, in my experience, there's a lot of wiggle room.

By calling and saying that a flight change of less than the approved time just doesn't mesh with either being able to board in a timely manner, or being able to get to the airport in a timely manner after a cruise, it's not unusual for airlines to approve the change. Often times, however, it must be done by a supervisor, not the person who first picks up the phone.

The airlines have different rules on what constitutes a significant change (for the 3 majors it tends to be one hour) though they are usually willing to make changes.

Thanks, just 2 last quick queries. Do you book online or over the phone? We're from the UK, but they have a UK number we can dial.

Our fight back to the UK is at 0830AM Mon 16th Oct, we would want to get to Newark Airport about 0530AM whilst it's an international long haul flight. What time roughly would we need to be picked up from our hotel?

Many Thanks

David

You can book online or call.

Your allowance for travel to airport should be at least 1 hour.

You can also get more suggestions at the East Coast Departure Forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Colocruiser

Yes they are reliable and reasonable IMO. Carmel is a good one too. :)

You might look into downloading the Uber or the Lyft app. It's so easy and convenient. No res required and no money changes hands. It's just charged to you CC that you apply to your account. You know how much the ride will be and how quickly the ride will be there. Very smooth operation.