Can you downgrade categories after final payment?

ktmac1

We have a mini suite booked - but wish we booked a balcony room (bunk beds vs sofa bed for kids.) Breakaway in November.

Are we out of luck?

The Breakaway set up for 4 in a cabin is the queen bed (that can overt to twins) and the sofa bed and a pull down bed from the ceiling. That is the set for both the balconies and mini suites. The only difference between the two cabins in the bathroom size (which you may appreciate in the long run).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Breakaway set up for 4 in a cabin is the queen bed (that can overt to twins) and the sofa bed and a pull down bed from the ceiling. That is the set for both the balconies and mini suites. The only difference between the two cabins in the bathroom size (which you may appreciate in the long run).

Also the pull down bed has a railing to prevent accidental falls.

I have a question and I am not being facetious, truly. Why ask that question here? A 5 min. phone call should answer your question directly from the cruise line. I think the answers were very nice and I guess gave you the information to ask the cruise line about the refund. But I'm sure you would have anyway.

But some don't have the pullman bed, right? Some sleeper sofas sleep 2?

That applies to the mini-suites on the older ships, like the Jewel class, the Sun, Star, Dawn, Sky.

The newer ships, Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape have one sofa and one drop down Pullman as well as Queen in both balcony and mini-suite cabins for 4 people.

You'll be fine! You'll have much better bathroom!

ENJOY!!

I have a question and I am not being facetious, truly. Why ask that question here? A 5 min. phone call should answer your question directly from the cruise line. I think the answers were very nice and I guess gave you the information to ask the cruise line about the refund. But I'm sure you would have anyway.

Why ask here vs calling in? Because the answers you get when calling in can vary. And sometimes it depends on how it is asked. Folks here can often assist even better. In this case, it is not about the money but about the sleeping arrangements. We have often seen where people get a different answer from calling in vs what folks that actual book and stay in these cabins report.

I get better answers here - and I feel I can be more in touch with what I am asking for when I do call in.

And honestly I have little faith in the people I have spoken to. The whole reason for getting a mini suite instead of a balcony (category MA) was so my 3 year old could take a bath (which I made clear to the NCL contact when booking. He basically just read that this category does have tub so told me it would, but never actually checked the room.) And our room turns out, has no bathtub. So now I have no need for the mini-suite and figured I'd check to see if I could get my 6 year old her coveted "sky bed" and away from her little sisters nasty nighttime kicks!

So that's why I have more faith in these boards than calling in!

I will further say that one day I spoke to a very lovely knowledgeable woman who did tell me that our room had a shower head that could be removed from the top part, which made me feel much better. I called in a few times to see if a mini-suite with bathtub was available and no-one ever told me that handy bit of ino. So I know some people can be good! If you ever had 3 year old that is petrified of showers, you'll know why this mattered. ;)

Edited by ktmac1

Great news! Thank you!

That applies to the mini-suites on the older ships, like the Jewel class, the Sun, Star, Dawn, Sky.

The newer ships, Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape have one sofa and one drop down Pullman as well as Queen in both balcony and mini-suite cabins for 4 people.

You'll be fine! You'll have much better bathroom!

ENJOY!!

You can try to up/down grade to a FAMILY balcony or mini-suite (usually located on decks 12 and 13 (near splash academy). I think those are B1 and M1 categories (the family balconies and mini suites have a bathtub). However same configuration regarding the sleeping arrangements as stated before.

We have a mini suite booked - but wish we booked a balcony room (bunk beds vs sofa bed for kids.) Breakaway in November.

Are we out of luck?

First, you know that the mini-suite is exactly the same size and configuration as the balcony. The only difference is that the mini suite has a larger bathroom.

Second, if the room sleeps 3, it is the queen (which can be split into 2 twins) and the sofa.

Third, if the room sleeps 4, t is the queen (which can be split into 2 twins), the sofa, and a pullman.

So, I can't figure out what you expect to achieve with a "down grade".

I get better answers here - and I feel I can be more in touch with what I am asking for when I do call in.

And honestly I have little faith in the people I have spoken to. The whole reason for getting a mini suite instead of a balcony (category MA) was so my 3 year old could take a bath (which I made clear to the NCL contact when booking. He basically just read that this category does have tub so told me it would, but never actually checked the room.) And our room turns out, has no bathtub. So now I have no need for the mini-suite and figured I'd check to see if I could get my 6 year old her coveted "sky bed" and away from her little sisters nasty nighttime kicks!

I will further say that one day I spoke to a very lovely knowledgeable woman who did tell me that our room had a shower head that could be removed from the top part, which made me feel much better. I called in a few times to see if a mini-suite with bathtub was available and no-one ever told me that handy bit of ino. So I know some people can be good! If you ever had 3 year old that is petrified of showers, you'll know why this mattered. ;)

Well, I certainly hope you call the cruise line and get the REAL answer/information. Be strong and make sure you speak to the proper person/department. IMHO, It is never a good idea to proceed on the information from a faceless group of people offering they're well intentioned opinions, hunches, beliefs, something that a friend of a friend of a friend's son's best friend heard. Because that is pretty much what you get on a site like CC. One person's answer they got may not have come from the cruise line you're on. OR it was years ago and policies have changed, etc.

I don't think I've ever seen such a short thread with so much conflicting information some of which is clearly erroneous.

I can tell you in the past that NCL would. It let you downgrade after final payment even if you did not want a fare reduction, and to top it off you would have to pay the current fares.

I was only looking for a pullman bed! So if they all have it, I'm good. My room description does not say it has one, so I was concerned.

First, you know that the mini-suite is exactly the same size and configuration as the balcony. The only difference is that the mini suite has a larger bathroom.

Second, if the room sleeps 3, it is the queen (which can be split into 2 twins) and the sofa.

Third, if the room sleeps 4, t is the queen (which can be split into 2 twins), the sofa, and a pullman.

So, I can't figure out what you expect to achieve with a "down grade".

Thank you! I will call them shortly and confirm and see my options. I will make sure I'm talking to someone who can confirm these things. I'm sure like anywhere, the people work work in customer service run the gamut. I just wish I saved the one person's name or contact number who really seemed to know what she was talking about!

Well, I certainly hope you call the cruise line and get the REAL answer/information. Be strong and make sure you speak to the proper person/department. IMHO, It is never a good idea to proceed on the information from a faceless group of people offering they're well intentioned opinions, hunches, beliefs, something that a friend of a friend of a friend's son's best friend heard. Because that is pretty much what you get on a site like CC. One person's answer they got may not have come from the cruise line you're on. OR it was years ago and policies have changed, etc.

And NCL should know that smalll children need tubs. I booked a "family balcony" with the understanding it had a tub........turns out "no tub". I was more than annoyed because I was told that "family balconies" had tubs....but find out only a few do. A tub is essential for me due to arthritis issues. That said, I was told that the only tubs Breakaway has in SOME family mini suites....not all. So to get one I would have rebook and lose some of my bonuses and book a mini suite with a tub. What gets me is that not everyone wants or needs a mini suite. Why not have some balconies with tubs? I totally understand why one would rely on information here instead of NCL CS or a TA. After all isn't that what this board is for???

And NCL should know that smalll children need tubs. I booked a "family balcony" with the understanding it had a tub........turns out "no tub". I was more than annoyed because I was told that "family balconies" had tubs....but find out only a few do. A tub is essential for me due to arthritis issues. That said, I was told that the only tubs Breakaway has in SOME family mini suites....not all. So to get one I would have rebook and lose some of my bonuses and book a mini suite with a tub. What gets me is that not everyone wants or needs a mini suite. Why not have some balconies with tubs? I totally understand why one would rely on information here instead of NCL CS or a TA. After all isn't that what this board is for???

We always book family balconies, I've never heard of any of them having tubs. In the older ships, family mini suites have tubs, on the newer ships only some family mini suites have tubs. The fami,y balconies are close to the kids club, that's the only difference, and why they are designated "family." I've cruised five times with my five kids, never once wanted or needed a tub.

Thank you! I will call them shortly and confirm and see my options. I will make sure I'm talking to someone who can confirm these things. I'm sure like anywhere, the people work work in customer service run the gamut. I just wish I saved the one person's name or contact number who really seemed to know what she was talking about!

Hope this works out. BTW: I just checked some photos of various M2 Family Mini-Suites. So far all of them have shower tubs. Cruisedeckplans has lots of photos, you might find some of your cabin there. MAs seem to all have showers only.

Edited by SoCA6ft5
Added info on Das

To the original poster...it sounds like you may be still outside your final payment date...in that case you could always cancel and rebook, if you see a better deal currently available to meet your needs...of course, you risk losing whatever perks you may have originally got...

I was on the Breakaway earlier this year & upgraded to a mini suite due to having 3 adults in the room. It was on deck 12 #12186. It was a family Mini suite very close to front elevator banks, port side and DID have a bath tub. It also had the pullman that we did not need. I was under the impression all family minis had a tub over a very big shower (deck 12). Be sure to ask a rep that question. It was a nice option to have.

We always book family balconies, I've never heard of any of them having tubs. In the older ships, family mini suites have tubs, on the newer ships only some family mini suites have tubs. The fami,y balconies are close to the kids club, that's the only difference, and why they are designated "family." I've cruised five times with my five kids, never once wanted or needed a tub.
I can appreciate that you never wanted or needed a tub.....but some people do. Just like many people only take showers and would be pretty upset if there was none in their booked cabin if they were told there was. We have always had a tub on other ships....this is our first Breakaway cruise. That said, I would not have been annoyed if I was given the proper information. I probably would have booked the mini suite that has a tub. I booked many months ago and since then learned that the NCL's customer service reps can't be depended on to give you correct information.