Tipping

FluffyFiFi

I'm not saying people should do one thing or another but I have it in writing from P&O that the crew don't have to hand it over. Whether I believe that is another matter - lots of reports to the contrary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no reason to not believe it unless you know directly from someone who has had to hand them in. Personally I really don't see why you would doubt it.

Including an employment contract from another Carnival brand which says they do have to hand it over.

Logically it would make no sense for the staff to keep tips given to them.

If they did they might get paid twice - once through the tip pool and once through the tips handed to them, or they might only get the tip pool, which has been reduced because of people removing the service charge that feeds the tip pool.

This is just another case of saying anything to win over a point.

An employment contract from another Carnival brand is not from P&O.

On Princess whether you pay the service charge or give money to individual crew members who served you makes no difference, as the staff have to hand the money in; as you can see from this document -

http://www.crew-center.com/princess-cruises-crew-wages-details

The relevant section is -

E. DISCRETIONARY HOTEL & DINING CHARGE POOL

Now that is Princess, but is it really likely things are different in the other brands in the Carnival group.

As far as I knew having sailed many times on Princess if you left the auto charge on any extra tip given was allowed to be kept by crew member.

There is no reason to not believe it unless you know directly from someone who has had to hand them in. Personally I really don't see why you would doubt it.

Because it would be illogical for the stewards/waiters to keep cash given to them by passengers who have removed the service charge, and could lead to undesirable behaviour if it wasn't required.

As far as I knew having sailed many times on Princess if you left the auto charge on any extra tip given was allowed to be kept by crew member.

Yeah many think that but it's not what the contract says, now I know which I believe.

I'm now getting confused and don't know what to believe. On our recent cruise on Britannia, I paid the £336 service charge for all 4 of us, but gave out an additional £100 in discretionary tips. My choice to do that, but are people saying that the policy states that any additional tips must be handed in, even if that passenger has paid the service charge? Human nature being as it is, I can't believe that they would hand it in (I always do it discretely so that nobody else sees) but would like to know the policy. Can anyone enlighten me with facts rather than beliefs or myths? Dai B?

I'm now getting confused and don't know what to believe. On our recent cruise on Britannia, I paid the £336 service charge for all 4 of us, but gave out an additional £100 in discretionary tips. My choice to do that, but are people saying that the policy states that any additional tips must be handed in, even if that passenger has paid the service charge? Human nature being as it is, I can't believe that they would hand it in (I always do it discretely so that nobody else sees) but would like to know the policy. Can anyone enlighten me with facts rather than beliefs or myths? Dai B?

Fact

That's what the staff contract says.

If they are caught not handing it in, they may lose their job.

Fact

That's what the staff contract says.

If they are caught not handing it in, they may lose their job.

Are you answering the question I asked? I know that Cabin Stewards etc are supposed to hand them in if the passenger has removed the service charge. My question relates specifically to additional gratuities given over and above. Nobody is being disadvantaged in this scenario, so I can't see any logical reason why they would be required to hand them in.

Are you answering the question I asked? I know that Cabin Stewards etc are supposed to hand them in if the passenger has removed the service charge. My question relates specifically to additional gratuities given over and above. Nobody is being disadvantaged in this scenario, so I can't see any logical reason why they would be required to hand them in.

You may not see alogical reason, but that is exactly what the contract says, all cash tips must be handed into the pool. Some argue that they're then checked off some list and if auto tips haven't been removed they are returned, but the contract says nothing about that, simply states that all cash tips must be handed in to the pool.

You may not see alogical reason, but that is exactly what the contract says, all cash tips must be handed into the pool. Some argue that they're then checked off some list and if auto tips haven't been removed they are returned, but the contract says nothing about that, simply states that all cash tips must be handed in to the pool.

Is there somewhere I can see this contract?

You may not see alogical reason, but that is exactly what the contract says

Nobody has provided any evidence that Carnival UK use that contract though, it was introduced to muddy the waters even further.

There is evidence that Cunard staff, at least, do not have to hand over cash tips (see the sticky in the Cunard forum). Using the same logic that some have tried to do with the Princess contract, that would mean P&O staff don't have to hand over cash tips either.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to say that the staff on P&O have to hand in cash tips. Nobody can say its in the employment contract for P&O as they haven't seen one. Saying that other companies employees have to do it does not mean that P&O staff have to.

Am I missing something here? As far as I can see, you have no evidence that that is in the P&O staff contract.

Agree I have seen this in terms of other cruise lines but not had it confirmed with regard to P&O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The staff do not have to hand in any tips over and above the auto tip.

That has been confirmed to me.

But they do have to hand them in if the auto-tip is removed? (Up to the value of the tip?)

Am I missing something here? As far as I can see, you have no evidence that that is in the P&O staff contract.

Have you seen the P&O contact to know what is or isn't in it?

The website I linked to did have a copy of the Princess contact, Princess being a Carnival brand.

Now there is no direct evidence P&O do one thing or the other, but the Princess contact is a damn good indication. And to have a system where staff don't hand over cash tips makes no sense.

As for the sticky on Cunard, that is simply an anecdotal report of what someone who used to work for Cunard years ago at a party, telling them something they wanted to hear. Yes...

One observation I have is that in the last few years P&O have employed some astute people, and as an organisation good for them. The business model including pricing strategy, upgrade strategy, target customer base, optional extras, OBC and tipping have all had a great deal of thought applied and no doubt what doesn't work will be evolved. So whilst as a customer I don't like everything I see, I do admire their strategy, I just hope that they remain ethical.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to say that the staff on P&O have to hand in cash tips. Nobody can say its in the employment contract for P&O as they haven't seen one. Saying that other companies employees have to do it does not mean that P&O staff have to.

If crew have to hand in additional gratuitys i can see a lot of people myself included only paying the autogratuities and giving nothing extra if that person cannot keep it for himself.

Can anyone verify?.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The staff do not have to hand in any tips over and above the auto tip.

That has been confirmed to me.

Thank you daiB with your P&O experience i think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that the crew can keep additional tips on top of autogratuities.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

This thread gets more confusing by the day.

Tips get handed in ? Like everyone else I'd like to see some evidence. Many hotels advise to leave tips in the box at reception where its shared but at least they are up front about it.

What's the official P&O policy regarding personal gratuities over and above auto ? ..anyone

(Edit..Ive just seen someone confirm thats not the case since I started composing this moan - thankyou ..phew ! )