Thoughts?: Interior vs. Balcony cost

I love reading all of your replies! Thank you so much for giving me your opinions on this!

We do only cruise once a year, and we aren't even getting to take one this year because of scheduling issues. With this particular cruise we have been to all the ports already, and the "day" in San Juan is only until 2PM (why such a short day???!!), which leaves us with only 3 full days off the boat on an 8 night cruise (St. Maarten, Labadee, St. Kitts). In this particular case as well our airfare has been paid for with reward points so we aren't paying airfare to get to Florida either....yet another reason why I thought this could be our first balcony room since that cost has been eliminated.

As a side note...I am a little worried that if I love it we will be getting one every cruise!!!

We tend to go with inside cabins whenever we repeat an itinerary unless we get a really good price. We always try to book a balcony when we are visiting ports for the first time. We only come to our cabin to recharge a bit and, of course, to sleep.

$500 difference for an 8 night cruise would be a good enough price to make us choose a balcony, even if we had sailed the destinations before.

Love the thought that interiors are better because you don't spend time in the cabin. You don't spend time in interiors because they blow.

Get a balcony, have room service breakfast out there. You have your own private space. There are exactly two categories of cabins: those with balconies, and "I'm not going."

Love the thought that interiors are better because you don't spend time in the cabin. You don't spend time in interiors because they blow.

A balcony is nice, but I didn't really spend any more time in the room because of it; other than re-upping membership to the Balcony Club and the odd cup of coffee, really did not take advantage.

I think with a good book and some shade, and time to relax I might feel differently.

My wife and I like the balcony for many reasons. We order room service the night before to have coffee delivered to the room every morning. The start of the day is to get up and take the coffee out on the balcony and enjoy the morning not rushing. We don't have to shower and get ready just go out on our private balcony with ocean front view. My wife is a big reader and enjoys taking an afternoon break and going out to the balcony reading. I like to scan the ocean and will take my binoculars out and scan the horizon for land and ships and whatever. We usually bring the two allowed bottles of wine on board and in the evening will order a cheese tray (maybe not now with the service charge) and enjoy a glass of wine and cheese on our private balcony. In port we like to see the docking of the ship and views you get. We also like to see the scramble of the late comers rushing to get back on board. At night before bed you may get the treat of seeing another ship cross by with all of the colorful lights in addition to the stars. You also get to see what the weather is doing.

All these things you could do on the upper deck by pulling up a chair to the rail. The balcony offers you the convenience of getting all this from your room in private. You are guaranteed the great view and convenience every day. I believe the room will also be larger. On an 8 day cruise it is $62.50 per night.

There is the risk that you will like it so much that you may not feel content with an interior or you may be like others that say it just isn't worth it. If you are the type that is on the go constantly and rarely in the room, the balcony may not be worth it. If you like to take your time and spend more time in the room, the balcony is a nice option.

Good luck with what you decide.

One other thought to consider... When you are outside of your cabin, much better chance you are spending money. The last time we had an ov, we lived on the Lido. Our bar bill increased by more than the up charge you cite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We started out with an OV way back when. After that we went with insides since the window did not really do much for us and back then there were not many balconies and they were expensive. As the prices dropped with more balcony cabins being built we tried one and we loved it. Now we try to get a balcony on 7 day or longer but on the shorter cruises we only spring for one if the price difference is not too great. We can enjoy our cruise either way but we do enjoy and use the balcony a lot when we have one. We always get the hump cabins if at all possible because they seem to offer more privacy and are in great locations. I would recommend keeping it. You may get "hooked" but that might not be so bad.

I will not sail period if there is not a balcony. we tend to book suites. for us, the ability to have a PRIVATE refuge of fresh air and sunshine is a MUST. too much air conditioning/recycled air makes me cranky. I need a fresh breeze or un processed O2. its a great place to hang out while your cabin mate(s) get ready. sunrise on the balcony with a cup of coffee and a pastry just makes the day start off on the right foot, and a glass of wine watching the sunset is the perfect ending.

if the rest o the ship is too stimulating, being able to decompress in peace and quiet is invaluable .

If I cannot afford a suite, I save up until I can. so yes we don't cruise but once every 18-24 months. its worth it to us.

It is amazing that most of you posters think $500 is nothing. On an 8 day cruise they will probably be on the move off ship during the day anyway.

We take 3 to 4 cruises a year, staying in inside or OV at best. That extra $500 would pay for our tips and drinks or excursions. Especially on an 8 day trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you do not know that. not everyone spends all of their time outside of the cabin. and sorry but even if I did only sleep and shower in mine, I would not be happy with an interior or OV. not claustrophobic at all, its just that to enjoy my vacation , I want a private balcony. I don't people watch, I don't like distracting background noises disturbing my reading( or napping)

and to many people, $500 really is not a lot of money for a week. oh, yeah we don't need the drinks package either, rarely do excursions any more and prep pay tips so that it is considered a portion of the end line cost of the cruise in the first place. heck, when you come right down to it, the pre cruise hotel cost per diem is usually more expensive and doesn't include meals or entertainment. so spending $500 for better accommodations on board is an acceptable trade off to many people.

First was an OV, but since then we've always done balconies. I love sitting out the in morning and frankly spent a few night sleeping out there. Nothing like the sound of the waves crashing on the ships hullo, and the breeze rustling through my hair. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much going to an inside. The last 8 have been in a GS, which works for us as do spend a fair amount of time out there. It's all what it's worth to you. Try it decide. You might never go back.:D

Repeating -- choice is totally yours. But I do think the up charge for an 8 day cruise is worth it -- especially since you are not a frequent cruiser. Some people, including some on this thread, abhor insides and would never consider one. I get that and to each his own. DH and I don't mind an inside and choose them frequently because of cost. Just because of size I believe most would choose the balcony if cost was similar. (Unless you are the unlucky person who gets sick just looking at the ocean!). Since retirement we have been doing 8 or 9 sailings a year. Spending the extra money for a balcony each time would be out of the question.

Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise. Katherine