Thoughts?: Interior vs. Balcony cost

I would keep the balcony. Last time I had an interior I was wishing I had booked a balcony. The cruise was fine but it would have been a better experience with the extra space. I love staring at the water from my cabin or going outside in the morning at port to check out the action.

Whatever you decide will be fine. You already know you're fine in an interior so if you downgrade you already know what to expect. But it would be nice to try a balcony for once, it enhances an already nice experience and so the next time you book a cruise you'll know if it's worth it or not.

Someone once told me that a balcony maybe % more than the price of an interior but they got that % back from the enjoyment of the balcony.

You sound like you are hardworking people whom deserve a nice break. Enjoy the peace and quiet of the balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My 2nd and 3rd cruises were balcony. After that we started going on longer than 7 day cruises and it didn't make sense to pay the premium. We didn't miss the balcony at all and actually enjoy the quiet blackness that is an interior stateroom.

That being said, if on my next booking (23 Night Trans Pacific) I run into a killer deal on a Balcony, I'll probably snatch it up. 23 days is a long time and it would be nice to let some fresh air in the cabin.

Summary: Nice, but not necessary. We're not in our room that much anyway.

Edit: I just looked at the furthest "out" Trans Pacific.... It's over $1100 PER PERSON for a balcony. Nope. Inside again! :)

My impression is that RC do not have big differences in price between balcony and inside for what ever reasons or market forces dictates.

Maybe on some newer ships, but there's typically a big gap in those categories on Vision class ships.

I should also note that it is an 8 night cruise...and it IS in fact only $500 total between the two stateroom categories.

Don't give it a 2nd thought! You did good to get a hump for 8 days for a $500 premium vs the cheapest cabin on the ship.

And your rationale of wanting some private space as the main decks will be crowded is also correct.

All of the Voyager and Freedom class ships that have gotten "the cap" over the bridge with extra cabins there and where the photo center used to be are much more crowded on the pool decks.

IMO this is money very well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP...as others have mentioned...sounds like you booked a great cabin at a very good price. IMHO I would stay with it for sure. :)

However, cabin choices are obviously a personal matter and only you can decide if

it is right for you. Have to look at cost to budget, personal comfort, location, etc.

Me, I won't do an inside cabin...too closed in for me. Need natural light, and love being able to go outside on our own balcony. We use it a lot, especially during long sea days, I don't sit by the pool. But...that is where the personal taste and decision comes in....to each their own.

What ever you decide...have a fantabulous cruise!! :D

I see no problem with either , since you never did a balcony you will not miss it , I have done, 60 something cruise started with inside cabins ( balconies did not exist back then ) now we do suites but same food , same entertainment for inside or balcony

I don't get why people get so excited about the hump cabin. Can someone explain?

Two main reasons:

1.) Because of the way the ship protrudes from the sides, forming the so-called "hump", you get much better views from your balcony, forward and aft.

2.) Location - being located centrally on the ship, and very near the elevator banks, it's a very convenient location.

We had a hump balcony on our last cruise, on board Liberty. We loved it, and will try to get hump balconies whenever possible, from now on.

First, to answer your question, at $500 total, I'd KEEP THE BALCONY.

Here is your long term cost though - once you have done the balcony, you're not going to want to cruise again without one so you need to factor in the long term cost of ALWAYS paying for a balcony going forward! :D

Two main reasons:

1.) Because of the way the ship protrudes from the sides, forming the so-called "hump", you get much better views from your balcony, forward and aft.

2.) Location - being located centrally on the ship, and very near the elevator banks, it's a very convenient location.

We had a hump balcony on our last cruise, on board Liberty. We loved it, and will try to get hump balconies whenever possible, from now on.

Hey Fellow Charlotean! Yes once we went hump we never went back :D even though we had never been in a Inside but had been in a Ocean view. No wait we did do another ocean view on a 3 day Enchantment just cause I didn't won't to pay for a JS on there for a quick weekend pleasure trip! I gree with everything you said regarding the hump cabins...We love it!

I've done all of the above. If money is tight, I don't mind an interior cabin. I do love the total darkness for sleep. However, I have come to really enjoy breakfast on the balcony. It's so nice to sit outside and enjoy a leisurely breakfast while watching for flying fish, dolphins, etc. before I have to get ready and face the world for the day. On my last cruise, I did one of the premium panoramic ocean view cabins. While I did enjoy the additional space, I wouldn't do one again. I would much rather have a balcony.

We have only ever had interior rooms, the main reason being that we feel like we spend so little time in there that we are not sure it's worth to spend extra money on something we are not going to 'get our moneys worth'. We sleep so well in the interiors as well, which I partly assume is because it is so dark. I'm not sure how it is in a balcony room, but would guess if you wanted to get it pretty dark it would be no where near what an interior would be.

We do want to get a balcony at some point, but I kind of feel like it would have to be on a ship and ports that we had been on a few times so we wouldn't want to do as many others things and actually use the balcony.

All that being said, I think $500 total for an 8 night cruise is worth it to keep as long as it's not going to hurt you financially.

While I personally started with balcony staterooms and progressively downsized into interior rooms, as I like the openness of the upper decks and the ability to see all side of the ship, plus the fact that I'm only ever in my room to shower or sleep, I have began to prefer interior rooms. But, if there is only a difference of $500 total, not per person, and it is during Easter Week, which could mean lots of loud kids and drunk young adults, I definitely believe that you should keep the balcony stateroom. On top of all that, it's your first one, so if you can afford it, I would definitely suggest keeping it! :D

Sounds like a not so bad price for a balcony if it is $500 total for 8 nights. When my DH sails with me he likes a balcony but refuses to pay an exorbitant price. When I sail solo no balcony for me since when I have one I rarely spend more than a few minutes day on it. Only you can decide. If you are cruising only one or two times a year then I would probably go for it -- for DH's benefit. Good luck making your decision. Katherine

It is amazing that most of you posters think $500 is nothing. On an 8 day cruise they will probably be on the move off ship during the day anyway.

We take 3 to 4 cruises a year, staying in inside or OV at best. That extra $500 would pay for our tips and drinks or excursions. Especially on an 8 day trip.

So people who says that they like the total darkness in the interior rooms and only in the room to sleep and shower.....What time do you get up every day because it appears from what you say you won't be in there to sleep during daylight hours. Do you sleep well past sunrise? As a balcony room person, I find that when you close the blackout curtain on the balcony door, it is definitely totally dark in the room during the time of sunrise as I am up before sunrise to go outside and watch the sunrise and grab a cup of coffee, however the wife is usually still in bed when the sun comes up and when I get back to the room the room is still in total darkness. We also like our balcony to get away from the crowds sometime and enjoy the peace and quiet of our balcony. I also late at night at the end of my day sit out on the balcony enjoying the night breeze, star gazing and sometimes fall off to sleep and then wake up and get in the bed! So for us a $500 total price upgrade would be well worth it for us!:cool:

From what I recall from all our cruises, is that the only time there is a crowd on the ship is during muster drill. What other crowds are you getting away from? We feel like the ships are rarely crowded in one area , except maybe the promenades on Royal ships at night.

Also as cruises get longer than 8 days, the $500 will increase significantly. As for this trip , it probably isn't a bad deal, if this is their one or two cruise they take in a year. Just My opinion.

From what I recall from all our cruises, is that the only time there is a crowd on the ship is during muster drill. What other crowds are you getting away from? We feel like the ships are rarely crowded in one area , except maybe the promenades on Royal ships at night.

Also as cruises get longer than 8 days, the $500 will increase significantly. As for this trip , it probably isn't a bad deal, if this is their one or two cruise they take in a year. Just My opinion.

The crowds around the pool deck and solarium as an example on sea days. Sometimes I want to get way from all of that and as I said just enjoy the peace and quiet of my balcony sipping on a Margarita!

So people who says that they like the total darkness in the interior rooms and only in the room to sleep and shower.....What time do you get up every day because it appears from what you say you won't be in there to sleep during daylight hours. Do you sleep well past sunrise? As a balcony room person, I find that when you close the blackout curtain on the balcony door, it is definitely totally dark in the room during the time of sunrise as I am up before sunrise to go outside and watch the sunrise and grab a cup of coffee, however the wife is usually still in bed when the sun comes up and when I get back to the room the room is still in total darkness. We also like our balcony to get away from the crowds sometime and enjoy the peace and quiet of our balcony. I also late at night at the end of my day sit out on the balcony enjoying the night breeze, star gazing and sometimes fall off to sleep and then wake up and get in the bed! So for us a $500 total price upgrade would be well worth it for us!:cool:

Well for myself, if I don't set an alarm I can usually sleep another 1-2 hours compared to normal. So maybe sleep till 8:00-9:00 where normally I would be up between 6-7 partly because of the light. And since it is vacation there might be 2 or 3 naps during the cruise that might be during the day time hours. :)