Formal nights on the Freedom in Europe

We don't want to lug suits and dresses all the way to Barcelona. Can we still eat in the MDR? We are not tank top and shorts slobs and will have nice casual clothes, just not jackets and long dresses. How frowned on is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't want to lug suits and dresses all the way to Barcelona. Can we still eat in the MDR? We are not tank top and shorts slobs and will have nice casual clothes, just not jackets and long dresses. How frowned on is this?

No problem, dress suggestions are not enforced so you will see the full range of attire.

Just got back from this ship. No dress code at all any night. Shorts, vest and base ball cap worn round the wrong way even on formal nights. Worst cruise I have ever taken!

"Worst cruise" because of how people were dressed or are there other reasons you can expound on? I am on Freedom in Jan. and am wondering.

I chose this cruisebecause I was treating my twin grandchildren to a holiday as I do every summer.Below is a brief account and not every niggle of our experience:

Mattresses worn outso foam toppers put on which were dirty and two were torn. Bed linen torn andfrayed. Staines on the carpet. The toilet in our cabin and all cabins along thecorridor were without the flush on the toilets for 12 hours.

Food in mainrestaurant not up to standard, very small choice unless you chose from the menuthat supplements applied to. Plates and food barely warm. Very slow service, 20minutes before given water, one occasion 45 minutes before we were served ourstarters.

Everywhere you goon board they are trying to sell you food even as you walk out of the cafe theywant to sell you Pizza or Burgers and if you have a drinks package you cannotuse it in the speciality bars.

No dress code! onboth Formal nights, a man near us came in in shorts, vest and a baseball capevery night and no one said a word. On the first formal night only 3 men woreTuxes on the 2nd formal may be 20.

The dinning roomwas only ever about a third full so they spread people out to make it lookbusy, Our party of 3 had a table for 6, many couples had tables for 6 or 8.Does not create the right atmosphere.

Most foodovercooked, bland and only just warm.

The Windjammer Cafeis extremely busy, the food is mediocre again bland and only just warm. Friedeggs are nearly all broken, overcooked and slopped into a small bowl and placedunder heat lamps. They do not look very appetising. Knives and forks arewrapped in serviettes but beware to check to see if they are clean before youuse them to eat with. On several occasions I had forks with dried food stuckbetween the prongs. Sauce bottles are disgusting with caked on sauce around thetops.

We only went to the theatre once and walked out half way through as the gymnastwasn't my cup of tea.

Volume of music andfilms around the pool area is far too loud, I was lucky as I wear hearing aidsand could switch them off but even then it was painful to sit there at times.

Public toilets lefta lot to be desired, not many about, small ie two/three stalls caused people totravel from one toilet to another to try to avoid waiting in a line in acramped area.

Bar service usuallyvery good, bar staff remember you on second visit.

All ports of callwere interesting but the ships excursions were over priced and could bebettered using cruising excursions.com or other local suppliers. Don't be putoff by the threat that if you don't use our excursions and your late back we'llleave you behind. All local suppliers I've ever used give you a writtenguarantee to get you back on time.

The main swimmingpool was emptied for two days while the crew repainted it. In the middle ofsummer school holidays!

I booked aFlowrider lesson for both my grandchildren from their website precruiseplanner. It stated that only 4 people would be in each lesson and when Iemailed to check how long each lesson would last they said it was 1 hour long.Sounds good 15 minutes per person. Don't believe it, when we turned up therewere 8 people in each lesson so the kids only got about 6 minutes each on the machineas only one person plus the trainer is allowed at a time and at £50 plus foreach lesson that is day light robbery and false advertising.

My grandchildrenenjoyed the days in the hot tubs, golf etc but both said it wasn't the bestcruise they have been on, and they did not enjoy the food and usually resortedto choosing chicken strips and chips off the kids menu.

I will not berecommending this line to any of my friends or family and would encourage themto look elsewhere when selecting a cruise line.

As you guessed Imost certainly will not be booking with them again!

I was on the Freedom TA in the spring . The food in the main dining room was mostly good. The Windjammer had some great dinners . One night they had all you can eat lobster & shrimp . Our drink package was accepted everywhere . The crew were great and entertainment was very good . Our room was spotless .Our first formal night we were going through a storm so there were not as many people dressed up as usual but they made up for it on the second formal night . It was a great ship .The piano bar was rocking every night .Are you sure you were on the Freedom ?

"Worst cruise" because of how people were dressed or are there other reasons you can expound on? I am on Freedom in Jan. and am wondering.

Was on Freedom last November and still is my favorite RC ship. Enjoy your cruise in Jan.

• 4 weeks later...
I've not experienced this or seen it reported from any RC ship.

I just returned from the Sept 10th sailing and other than Evian brand bottled water, all our drinks were included in the Deluxe Drink Package at every bar and restaurant we went to including Johnny Rockets and Sabor.

I just returned from the Sept 10th sailing and other than Evian brand bottled water, all our drinks were included in the Deluxe Drink Package at every bar and restaurant we went to including Johnny Rockets and Sabor.

Thanks, that's what our experience has been too.

Same for September 17th sailing.

There is one Castle and Bear Pub in the Promenade. We were able to use or Drink Package everywhere we tried.

We ate in WJ each evening as we returned late from excursions and thought the food to be some of the best WJ food in both Quality and Quantity. Not sure if this was a result of the President and much of his staff onboard.

Funny experience we had....

We were looking over the food in the WJ and saw this person, not a crew member, sampling many stations. From our observation point, it looked as if he was using the same little white spoon (a small plastic spoon one may see at SAMS or BJ's for food samples). He noticed we were watching. He then came to us and said not to worry, he was Royals Restaurant Director out of Miami. Turns out he had a whole pocket full of these little spoons sealed in wrap and was bagging each once used spoon. We actually became good friends and turns out he is really good friends with my PC Brother and SIL. He asked what was our next Cruise and he said he would meet us there. Although he has head responsibilities in Miami, he likes and is encouraged to sail on different ships to check on the food quality and service. Extremely nice guy. We meet most of his staff during the party La Palma.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums