Mexico Travel Warning Update

jimmieg

Don’t freak out over U.S. travel warning about Cancún and Los Cabos. Here’s why.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/andres-oppenheimer/article169187707.html

Ok forget about the 12,000 homicides in Mexico this year I guess. :rolleyes:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Ok forget about the 12,000 homicides in Mexico this year I guess. :rolleyes:

Your point is? There were nearly 16,000 in the US two years ago and given the nation's love for all things that go bang, I suspect figures for 2017 - when the FBI finishes counting - will be even higher.

Your point is? There were nearly 16,000 in the US two years ago and given the nation's love for all things that go bang, I suspect figures for 2017 - when the FBI finishes counting - will be even higher.

Maybe a little more math is in order. The population of the US in 2017 (estimated) is 326.8 million and the population of Mexico in 2017 (estimated) is 130.4 million. Proportionally Mexico's homicide rate is much higher than the US. And, oh, by the way, Mexico has strict gun control laws.

Maybe a little more math is in order. The population of the US in 2017 (estimated) is 326.8 million and the population of Mexico in 2017 (estimated) is 130.4 million. Proportionally Mexico's homicide rate is much higher than the US. And, oh, by the way, Mexico has strict gun control laws.

Thank goodness for that!

By the way, how does the criminals get the guns?........ Fast and furious operation?:confused:

Thank goodness for that!

By the way, how does the criminals get the guns?........ Fast and furious operation?:confused:

That and the money they make from selling drugs to Gringos... although I do seem to remember reading in the apparently liberal LA Times that most of the guns originated from the US.

That and the money they make from selling drugs to Gringos... although I do seem to remember reading in the apparently liberal LA Times that most of the guns originated from the US.

And who has those guns? Oh, maybe the criminal element. Irrespective of where they originate from the criminals will always find a way to get weapons. Probably has something to do with the fact that they are "criminals".

It's maths - maybe an extra consonant is in order? :cool:

Ever since the US State Dept issued their "travel advisory" the boards both here and on Trip Advisor have gone into melt down. I should probably stop pouring petrol (gas) on the flames, but frankly if people are dissuaded from travelling, then honestly don't. Stay at home (best avoid certain US cities and don't read the FCO travel advisory for the US) or travel somewhere where you'll feel safe®

It's maths - maybe an extra consonant is in order? :cool:

Ever since the US State Dept issued their "travel advisory" the boards both here and on Trip Advisor have gone into melt down. I should probably stop pouring petrol (gas) on the flames, but frankly if people are dissuaded from travelling, then honestly don't. Stay at home (best avoid certain US cities and don't read the FCO travel advisory for the US) or travel somewhere where you'll feel safe®

Its maths? Must be a Brit thing. My comment was:

Maybe a little more math is in order. ..................

And who has those guns? Oh, maybe the criminal element. Irrespective of where they originate from the criminals will always find a way to get weapons. Probably has something to do with the fact that they are "criminals".

The "criminals" get that weapons Legally in the US.:rolleyes:

Would have thought my avatar was a clue? That and the fact that it's English...

Maths (plural) implies more than one. Math (singular) implies exactly what I meant. Do a little math to come to the conclusion that the population vs. homicides is disproportionate when comparing the US to Mexico.

The "criminals" get that weapons Legally in the US.:rolleyes:

Actually, no, they do not. If you have ever bought any weapon, gun or otherwise, there is a process you need to go through. It is not easy. Try it some time.

Actually, no they do not. If you have ever bought any weapon, gun or otherwise, there is a process you need to go through. It is not easy. Try it some time.

No, thank you; i don´t have interest on that.

But fast and furious operation (as an example), gave the criminals Legal weapons:lips-sealed:

No, thank you; i don´t have interest on that.

But fast and furious operation (as an example), gave the criminals Legal weapons:lips-sealed:

The predecessor to Fast and Furious, which was a failed exercise by the US Justice Department under the Bush administration, that was meant to track weapons via GPS tracking devices in the weapons to the criminal elements. Trouble was the criminals figured out where the GPS devices were located on the weapons and disabled them. Then the Obama Justice department decided to just sell weapons and track were they came from. That was the Fast and Furious operation. The weapon sales were never actually legal. The way that whole operation was finally stopped was by a gun shop in Phoenix, AZ that called and reported what was going on. They recorded the answers they were given when they were told to just sell the weapons and then they brought it public. The attribution is out there if you want to look for it. I know about it because it was big news here in the Phoenix area.

The predecessor to Fast and Furious, which was a failed exercise by the US Justice Department under the Bush administration, that was meant to track weapons via GPS tracking devices in the weapons to the criminal elements. Trouble was the criminals figured out where the GPS devices were located on the weapons and disabled them. Then the Obama Justice department decided to just sell weapons and track were they came from. That was the Fast and Furious operation. The weapon sales were never actually legal. The way that whole operation was finally stopped was by a gun shop in Phoenix, AZ that called and reported what was going on. They recorded the answers they were given when they were told to just sell the weapons and then they brought it public. The attribution is out there if you want to look for it. I know about it because it was big news here in the Phoenix area.

If a government sell weapons, for any reason, to any person, it makes it actually "Legal".

I also know of the case, it was a Hughe news here in México.

If a government sell weapons, for any reason, to any person, it makes it actually "Legal".

I also know of the case, it was a Hughe news here in México.

Call it "legal" if you will. Just because a government entity sanctioned the sale doesn't actually make it legal in the US. In Mexico it might be more of a malleable definition. Unfortunately, over the last several years, things that have been done by the government here that are legal or illegal have been less well defined. However, Fast and Furious was never a legal operation no matter that it was a government agency operation. That has been established here. Unfortunately, no one has been or will be prosecuted.

I guess my sarcasm didn't show through.

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic, but if it is her remains I think that is good news for her family - they can stop looking.

I don't think anyone ever really thought she might be alive, so that option was off the plate years ago.

DW and I were in Cabo and PV last month. At no time did we feel unsafe or were concerned about our safety. In Cabo we kept fairly close to the port but went to a local restaurant for lunch. Took all local cabs and no cruise based tours. In PV we got a cab for a day that drive us all around the city both in and out of the tourist areas.

We always keep our eyes open and are aware of our surroundings. I think for the most part the areas around cruise ports and where the tourists are are fairly safe.

Maths (plural) implies more than one. Math (singular) implies exactly what I meant. Do a little math to come to the conclusion that the population vs. homicides is disproportionate when comparing the US to Mexico.

Neither singular or plural. Actually just a contraction of MATHematicS

Statistically Mexico may be a little more "dangerous" than the US and if for whatever reason you don't feel safe visiting Mexico, then don't go. Generally speaking cruise companies aren't in the habit of taking shiploads of nervous tourists to places that are perceived as dangerous - and so assuming Princess don't bottle it, we'll be there in a couple of months.