Mexico Travel Warning Update

jimmieg

That´s true, but does not affect as many states as the one the US has.

My post was to reply to a clearly political and non sense post.:)

I know tourism is important to MX. I have been traveling to Mexico (both coasts) since 1977 - both cruises and land-based.

However, it's a new world and there are places to avoid. Feel the same way about some European areas, as well as areas of Africa, the Middle East and even places like Jamaica.

I wish it were different.

Be safe, whatever your decision.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

Citation needed.

Really...why are you being so skeptical?

http://time.com/4869087/mexico-murder-june-record-high-deadliest/

From January to June the country recorded 12,155 homicides, nearly 31 percent higher than the same period last year. It also tops the number seen in the first half of 2011, the previous high.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/mexico-violence-peaks-2200-murders-june-170722115004326.html

Official data shows authorities nationwide recorded more than 12,100 homicide probes in the first six months of 2017.

"with 27 of Mexico’s 32 states recording an uptick in homicides compared with last year".

12,155 homicides since January 2017 are political? Pfffft. NIce try. :rolleyes:

If your family members were killed or affected by this would you still be posting this nonsense?

I`m sorry if i upset you, yes we are living in a country that have many crime, i don´t criticized that fact.

The POLITICAL post that i cited, is the one that talk about the wall.;)

This post.

Sounds like they're going to pay for that wall in ways they never thought of.

I`m sorry if i upset you, yes we are living in a country that have many crime, i don´t criticized that fact.

The POLITICAL post that i cited, is the one that talk about the wall.;)

This post.

Not upset............

I agree posts like that have NO place here on Cruise Critic.

I would tend to believe the warning from the Canadian government that has no mention of Quintana Roo where Cozumel is. Our US state dept. has been pretty much non-existent since the new administration and probably doesn't even have an ambassador to Mexico. This administration also holds a big grudge against Mexico. I have expat friends living in Cozumel now and the crime rate is much lower Cozumel than in most large American cities. I would stay away from any areas the Canadian state dept. warns about though.

Honestly, as far as Cozumel is concerned, I wouldn't be anywhere close to nervous about going back to Nachi Cocom for the day. I also wouldn't be worried about driving down, in a group, for the Baja 1000 race in November, if work permitted me to go.

According to the Advisory, don't travel to areas that directly border certain states like Michoacan, don't travel between cities at night, keep to the Golden Zone, and don't go to Acapulco. Got it. It's not dissimilar to common sense rules about not going to certain areas of Chicago or Baltimore and staying away from neo-**** marchers in traveling within the U.S.A.....

While I wouldn't want to drive or visit a lot of parts of Mexico and I'm just guessing but you probably have a better chance of being killed in a car accident driving to the port to get on your cruise than you are of getting killed in Mexico while visiting on a cruise ship.

We've probably had more daylight gang killings in Vancouver than Cozumel has.

Good possibility that the Mexican Riviera cruises may come to a screeching halt like they did several years ago.

Out of LA they came to a halt due to swine flu, not due to crime. Mazatlan is the only port that was removed due to crime several years ago and after a few years returned.

Edited by land lover

Out of LA they came to a halt due to swine flu, not due to crime. Mazatlan is the only port that was removed due to crime several years ago and after a few years returned.

This may have been true in 2009. But in 2015 is was due to the violence.

The article only mentions three cruise lines as of the date it was written. A few more cruise line stopped going to certain ports (Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta to name a few) shortly thereafter.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6356

Additionally, a few already stopped going to Acapulco already this year.

That´s true, but does not affect as many states as the one the US has.

My post was to reply to a clearly political and non sense post.:)

I agree, the comment about the wall was out of line and does not belong here. That being said, Mexico is not as safe as it used to be. My cousin has lived in Cancun for 30 years and even she says that you must be very vigilant everywhere in Mexico. The people of Mexico are wonderful people, but the cartels have taken over much of the country. Mexico has been a favourite destination for Canadians for so long, but now not so much. I hope to visit Mexico again.

As the U.S.State Dept. notes, since most of the heroin trade in Mexico is bound for the northern borders and the increased demand in the U.S.A., perhaps Mexico should be sending us the bill for their large expenditures to keep tourists safe... :o

This is their responsibility...

This is their responsibility...

In theory it's true except that with all the corruption in Mexico it'll never happen. It's been going on for years and only the recent incidents have cause it to surface again.

They'll never change and now they're finally going to feel the decreased tourist trade.

Their government doesn't care one bit about their citizens as long as they get get their cut of all the action.

It's interesting that here most people are saying they won't go to Mexico, whereas on my timeshare forum, most people are saying it is ridiculous to avoid Mexico.

My husband has always had a major fear of going to mexico since a former employee of ours was detained by the police there years ago. I finally got him on board with cruising there and dang it, he saw the warning on the news last night. We are still doing our 2 night - wasn't getting off the ship anyway, but I bet I'll have to cancel my spring time cruise now. :(

It's interesting that here most people are saying they won't go to Mexico, whereas on my timeshare forum, most people are saying it is ridiculous to avoid Mexico.

My husband has always had a major fear of going to mexico since a former employee of ours was detained by the police there years ago. I finally got him on board with cruising there and dang it, he saw the warning on the news last night. We are still doing our 2 night - wasn't getting off the ship anyway, but I bet I'll have to cancel my spring time cruise now. :(

What would you expect people who own a timeshare in Mexico to say?

just stay on the ship.

My friend refuses to leave the ship on our upcoming trip to Cozumel, but it's because she had a horrible taxi driver experience... Not because of violence.

just stay on the ship.

My friend refuses to leave the ship on our upcoming trip to Cozumel, but it's because she had a horrible taxi driver experience... Not because of violence.

In Cozumel you can still shop in the stores near the ship without fear. I wouldn't want to venture off the beaten path as more people are staying away.

You'll just be presenting yourself as a rich American target.

Not quite.........

This may have been true in 2009. But in 2015 is was due to the violence.

The article only mentions three cruise lines as of the date it was written. A few more cruise line stopped going to certain ports (Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta to name a few) shortly thereafter.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6356

Additionally, a few already stopped going to Acapulco already this year.

In theory it's true except that with all the corruption in Mexico it'll never happen. It's been going on for years and only the recent incidents have cause it to surface again.

They'll never change and now they're finally going to feel the decreased tourist trade.

Their government doesn't care one bit about their citizens as long as they get get their cut of all the action.

That is the truth, that is the way mexico has always been. A few rich white mexicans at the top, everyone else struggling for rice and beans. Corruption is the norm. The country needs a revolution. There is no reason mexico cannot be a first world country. They have a year round growing season, a hard working populace, natural resources, two beautiful coast lines and much more. But corruption holds them back. Its a shame.

We docked in Acapulco in May on NCL Panama canal cruise. I never felt the least bit unsafe. We rode on city bus, went to market and cliff divers. We walked around all day and never even had a hint of being unsafe. Several passengers remained on the ship because they felt it was unsafe. To each his own, but I feel "less safe" in my life long medium size USA city.