Mexico Travel Warning Update

jimmieg

Fortunately my government takes a rather more rational view of the world.

Mind you, having read the FCO travel advice for the US of A, if I was a nervous nellie I'd be thinking twice about visiting here... but seeing as I'm not, I won't plan on leaving any time soon, and so by the same token we'll be heading South of the Border in a couple of months time.

I stayed at an all-inclusive resort in Puerto Vallarta last year and am returning there this year. This will be my 4th trip to Mexico. I don't anticipate problems since I plan to spend my time beachfront at the resort. It seems like the Mexico travel warnings mainly address auto travel to & around certain areas, and travel after dark. For what it's worth, I actually have felt safer in Puerto Vallarta than New Orleans, LA.

If you are unwilling to travel to Mexico, then I would highly advise against St. Thomas. http://vifreepress.com/2016/10/fbi-says-virgin-islands-highest-murder-rate-country/

St Thomas has always had a high crime rate but most instances take place at night long after the cruise ships have left.

Story: last year when we were in PV. Couple we shared breakfast with were concerned about getting off the ship. We suggested catching a taxi to the Malecon. Saw them later that day and asked what they did...they went across the street to

WALMART! I had to laugh as I viewed crossing the street to Walmart..far more dangerous then any potential trouble somewhere else in the area....;p

St Thomas has always had a high crime rate but most instances take place at night long after the cruise ships have left.

Very important point made by Floridalover! I booked a cruise for my son and his new bride for their honeymoon cruise on the Ruby for this coming January to MR. I think what stuck out to them that caused them concern was that these crimes in Mexico are happening in the light of day. They became concerned enough that I rebooked them on the Regal to the Eastern Caribbean for a week earlier than the Ruby cruise. I want them to feel safe and comfortable and the report was enough to raise their concern to make the switch.

Difference is I do not choose to spend my leisure time/money is South Central - or other places where gang warfare is an issue. Too many other places for the present. Norway was nice. Hawaii is beautiful. Alaska, New England, Pacific NW. Tahiti, New Zealand.

FWIW, I travel to some international places for business I would not choose for vacation, though they are beautiful.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

My point of view is that if your going to go anywhere on a cruise just be vigilant about your surroundings. Common sense should tell you where to go and where not to go, tourist areas vs off the beaten path. We travel all over and been to many countries and have to say we've always have fun and enjoy our adventures. I do read the State Dept.'s warnings and come up with my own plan/conclusion. We have friends that think we're crazy for traveling in today's world, but if you're going to live in fear then just stay home and lock the door, that's what the knuckleheads of the world want you to do, live in fear. You're more likely to be hit by a car in your own city than be a victim of some other countries strife.

My point of view is that if your going to go anywhere on a cruise just be vigilant about your surroundings. Common sense should tell you where to go and where not to go, tourist areas vs off the beaten path. We travel all over and been to many countries and have to say we've always have fun and enjoy our adventures. I do read the State Dept.'s warnings and come up with my own plan/conclusion. We have friends that think we're crazy for traveling in today's world, but if you're going to live in fear then just stay home and lock the door, that's what the knuckleheads of the world want you to do, live in fear. You're more likely to be hit by a car in your own city than be a victim of some other countries strife.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Totally agree with what you say! Travel the world while you can.... be safe, use common sense and enjoy life to the fullest (to a certain degree)!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Totally agree with what you say! Travel the world while you can.... be safe, use common sense and enjoy life to the fullest (to a certain degree)!

Totally agree. You could die anywhere, at any time. You could die at home, in a car accident, just walking around, or in a disaster beyond your control. You could even die on a cruise ship.

So, don't worry, live life to the fullest, enjoy your cruise. And, if God wills, may He grant you good health so you may live and not die before your next cruise.

Everyone has a different comfort level, so there isn't a right or wrong answer to this. I was just in Mexico last week and wouldn't hesitate to go back, but that's me. Personally, I think anyone who thinks they are "safe" is fooling themselves. The world is a dangerous place and I have every intention of seeing as much of it as possible until I'm too old to travel.

I've been involved in a terrorist incident - London in the mid 90's when the IRA was still acting up. The bus in front of ours blew up. It was scary, but it didn't keep me from returning to London or traveling around the world. I can't imagine staying home or restricting my travel plans because of the crazies in the world.

Everyone has a different comfort level, so there isn't a right or wrong answer to this. I was just in Mexico last week and wouldn't hesitate to go back, but that's me. Personally, I think anyone who thinks they are "safe" is fooling themselves. The world is a dangerous place and I have every intention of seeing as much of it as possible until I'm too old to travel.

I've been involved in a terrorist incident - London in the mid 90's when the IRA was still acting up. The bus in front of ours blew up. It was scary, but it didn't keep me from returning to London or traveling around the world. I can't imagine staying home or restricting my travel plans because of the crazies in the world.

Good point!

Good news !

They've found Natalee Hollaway.

So there is hope of visiting all the most dangerous places after all.

Good news !

They've found Natalee Hollaway.

So there is hope of visiting all the most dangerous places after all.

Well, they won't know for certain until the DNA results come back in October. I certainly hope that it is her remains and the family can finally move on.

If you want to feel safe visit Canada. We just spent 7 weeks on the road and at least 5 of those were in Canada. Nice folks. :cool:
Wow, thanks so much! You would really have to go out of your way to find trouble in Canada, that's for sure. Obviously, in large cities we still have some problems, but on a very small scale. Please come back, we love our southern neighbours!

Just got back from a week in Puerto Vallarta. We have gone at least 1x/year since the early 80's. Our trips are about 50/50 land vacations and cruise. We had a wonderful time no problems and never felt threatened.

Cheers

Edited by Bemidji Ty
spelling

Thanks for finding this and sharing.

Very interesting that several countries have issued similar warnings about dangers of traveling to the US