Galveston weather concerns

He's been guoting the most negative third party information he can find. No one here has access to any "inside" information.

The only info that means anything to me is what's being posted by people in Galveston and Houston in real-time. Unless someone's in that group or trying to get off or on a ship they are all rubber neckers.

That's the problem.. you are thinking optimistically in real time when the worse part of the storm for Galveston and Houston hasn't statrted. Real time at this time does you no good as you are not suppose to dock until 6-7am. Btw, you are the first person to say anything negative toward spleenman as all he has been doing is providing accurate info.

He's been guoting the most negative third party information he can find. No one here has access to any "inside" information.

The only info that means anything to me is what's being posted by people in Galveston and Houston in real-time. Unless someone's in that group or trying to get off or on a ship they are all rubber neckers.

I suspect he's reading the same meteorology forums I am (meaning message boards with actual meteorologists) and trust me they don't care about your cruise. This has always been a matter of post-storm flooding for those folks.

We're close and the seas are very calm.

36433334220_791dc8fbc9_c.jpg

Based on your current position and current radar map, yes you're in a area that's currently calm. But you need to look at the radar future. There's a nasty band headed toward Galveston right now, will probably be there late tonight. And it's showing heavy rain through tomorrow. You're in southeast of Galveston, theres nothing at all going on there, everythings comong in from the west. There's a reason why the captain stopped there.

That's the problem.. you are thinking optimistically in real time when the worse part of the storm for Galveston and Houston hasn't statrted.

I grew up in Miami. Do you know how many false or innacurate landing and aftermath predictions I've been through?

Some here aren't happy unless everyone in this thead is at level nine anxiety.

My son just sent this from the ship.

"Captain just came on. Port will remain closed tonight. We are going to go into Galveston harbor and basically wait. We won't know until 9am tomorrow at the earliest. If we can go in at that time, we will...otherwise we will sit outside until the port authority clears the ship."

I grew up in Miami. Do you know how many false or innacurate landing and aftermath predictions I've been through?

Barry, just so you know I'm in Sugar Land TX right now experiencing the band that's headed toward Galveston. We already had tornado touch down nearby just 10 minutes ago. Torrential downpours, and tons of thunder and lightning. I'm experiencing it right now.

SMH as you create your own anxiety.

Heh. I also grew up in South Florida, and "hurricanes tend to veer away from the east coast" does not mean "optimism is more rational than actual forecasts".

Guess it's academic, since RCI finally caved to reality.

Barry, just so you know I'm in Sugar Land TX right now experiencing the band that's headed toward Galveston. We already had tornado touch down nearby just 10 minutes ago. Torrential downpours, and tons of thunder and lightning. I'm experiencing it right now.

The Houston area has had 12 confirmed tornado's today, I am hoping they get on because we are suppose to get on next week.

Glad to hear RCI is coming to their senses. I do think they should have sent more information out to passengers earlier. Our friends that live outside of Houston are posting pictures of tornadoes that have been touching down. Their street is flooded, but they tend to have flooding anytime there are heavy rains.

I'm in west Houston, and we're stuck in the band that's headed for Galveston. We've had 5" of rain IN THE LAST HOUR, and the tornado warnings are about to blow up my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These are the facts-

3. Royal Caribbean is telling people to not proceed to port.

4. Royal Caribbean is telling people that if they are not on the cruise, they will get no compensation.

These are facts. Do with them what you wish. I will leave it to you to speculate on the repercussions, if any.

If there isn't a typo here, two contradictory statements that are ludicrous at best on RCI's part.

Biker, who doesn't have enough popcorn for this thread.

Nice that we can count on Biker to interject some much needed humor into what has clearly become a two sided issue. Thx Biker!

As I type this, I am sitting in my home about sixty miles as a crow flies from the center of what is now Tropical Storm Harvey. From what we've experienced so far, there isn't a chance in h*** anyone (company or individual) should even remotely be saying it is okay to travel and try and get anywhere near the Texas Gulf region. Certainly not by plane, definitely not by road, or even via transporter room from the Star Ship Enterprise for that matter!

And please don't use the excuse that they are saying to not proceed to the port. Since RCI has not ruled out an on time departure tomorrow (which nobody in their right mind believes is even possible), that means all passengers SHOULD be within a reasonable distance (i.e Houston metro) of the port to be able to proceed to the port.

Flying in tomorrow IMHO is not a viable option because of the delays/cancellations of flights, and what will most likely be more rain and flooding between now and then. There has also already been clear evidence of a few tornadoes touching down all along this region as well, causing severe damage, at minimum.

So I DO believe RCI is asking their passengers that they need to chance getting here into what has been pre-declared a federal disaster area (and will certainly BE a federal disaster area), unless they chance losing their investment into the cruise if they get can't there in time. This doesn't sound like having passenger safety in mind, again IMHO, but what do I know. And RCI certainly knows the longer they wait to say it's definitely a go, the more people will not be able to make it in time if they do wait for the "green light" from RCI. Lets keep the hotels available for those that have lost their homes or have found them uninhabitable!!

It now appears that RCI has finally provided some options within the last 30 minutes or so, but now only 18 hours away from the scheduled "all aboard". Crazy!

I am in no way a loyalist to any particular line, but I agree with what seems like the majority in saying that RCI is really screwing this one up.

Thanks.

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this.

Is this a very early start to hurricane season for the US (and/or Caribbean)?

Not at all. We are nearing the middle--and the height--of the season.