CPAP Question

pthjudy

My husband is a recent CPAP user. Last month on a Royal Caribbean cruise we requested and were provided with an extension cord and distilled water. When I just did a search on this board, I'm finding many people were provided the water (I've already requested that) but not so the extension. I did request one but my question is, will they provide it?

Just to be sure buy a 12' UL extension cord and pack it with his CPAP. I have done so with mine on many cruises, just make sure it does not have surge protection. Never had an issue in the plane or security at the airport or cruise port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always pact two extension cords (8ft & 12ft) for my wife's CPAP machine and pack within her case. Never has been a problem carrying on airplanes nor on the cruise ship. The real key is also packing an European plug (type E/F) in your Bag and then using the ships electrical outlet for one of the bed lamps for the CPAP machine. You give up a light, but you don't have to drape the extension cord around the room. We have done this a couple of times and it works great. It all depends on your room configuration.

You can request water prior to sailing via the cruise personalizer.

It's never been an issue to get an extension cord from the steward. I just politely ask for an extension cord when I meet him/her when checking into my cabin. It is an industrial 12' cord that I just run along the baseboard from the desk plug to the night stand. It's great since I add a 3-outlet travel bar to the end to plug in my CPAP, phone, and camera charger within easy reach of the bed.

I always pact two extension cords (8ft & 12ft) for my wife's CPAP machine and pack within her case. Never has been a problem carrying on airplanes nor on the cruise ship. The real key is also packing an European plug (type E/F) in your Bag and then using the ships electrical outlet for one of the bed lamps for the CPAP machine. You give up a light, but you don't have to drape the extension cord around the room. We have done this a couple of times and it works great. It all depends on your room configuration.

Exactly what I do - just make sure the CPAP adapter will accept 120v and 240v

I carry one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and therefore I don't even have to give up the light.

The real key is also packing an European plug (type E/F) in your Bag and then using the ships electrical outlet for one of the bed lamps for the CPAP machine. You give up a light, but you don't have to drape the extension cord around the room.

And that is what I did swell, my room steward pulled the bed out and plugged my EU adapter in the wall and that was it. No extension cord necessary for me.

I bring an extension cord and duct tape to secure it to the floor so we won't trip over it.

Rather than duct tape, I use 2" wide blue painters tape. It doesn't leave all the residue that duct tape leaves behind. After all, it isn't a permanent installation.

Rather than duct tape, I use 2" wide blue painters tape. It doesn't leave all the residue that duct tape leaves behind. After all, it isn't a permanent installation.

Great idea, however is the blue painters tape strong enuff? I do tend to be a Sir Lumpalot when tripping over things in my stateroom

There is a "Special Needs" form for all RCCL ships. You can indicate you are bringing CPAP and ship will have distilled water and allow a power strip and extension cord (heavy duty, safe of frays etc(....or ship can provide)

When flying, place CPAP, mask etc plus power strip & extension cord in CPAP case to carry on the plane as an exempt item. Also, international plus converters can go in there if you are traveling internationally. Saves you weight in your checked bags.

As I recall from my past Princess cruises (its been awhile, but schedules just haven't worked out for us to cruise on Princess), I didn't need an extension cord because the desk was next to the bed so my cord was long enough. Whereas on other lines where the bed is across the way and the cord is needed to get across the room.

:*:cool:

:cool:

I carry one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and therefore I don't even have to give up the light.

I found my Foreign Travel Voltage Converter kit but have no idea which is the EFand how it's used. My kit has one large Voltage Valet and 3 smaller things to plug in. Is the under bed outlet on the Regal one requiring conversion? Excuse my ignorance. I haven't used this for 30 years!

There is a "Special Needs" form for all RCCL ships. You can indicate you are bringing CPAP and ship will have distilled water and allow a power strip and extension cord (heavy duty, safe of frays etc(....or ship can provide)

When flying, place CPAP, mask etc plus power strip & extension cord in CPAP case to carry on the plane as an exempt item. Also, international plus converters can go in there if you are traveling internationally. Saves you weight in your checked bags.

She is on a Princess ship - not an RCCL ship - interesting to know though

My husband is a recent CPAP user. Last month on a Royal Caribbean cruise we requested and were provided with an extension cord and distilled water. When I just did a search on this board, I'm finding many people were provided the water (I've already requested that) but not so the extension. I did request one but my question is, will they provide it?

There should be a health issues section on the web site. Just make the request there. Don't be fooled into bringing your own cord. Many lines are confiscating them till the end of the voyage. The engineering staff has enough to go around.

There should be a health issues section on the web site. Just make the request there. Don't be fooled into bringing your own cord. Many lines are confiscating them till the end of the voyage. The engineering staff has enough to go around.

Nothing to be fooled about if you take a UL approved extension cord, which I carry with my CPAP wherever I go! If I depend on the cruiseline and they don't have one I'm screwed. They confiscate Surge Devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhat off topic, but re CPAP and airline carry-on policy, I have become wary about taking advantage of the policy that my CPAP case is not counted in determining compliance with the carry on limit. Some airlines may deny access to exit-row seats for which you are otherwise qualified if you identify a CPAP machine as an exempt item -- even if assured that you have no need or intention to use the CPAP during the flight.

As a result, I no longer claim the CPAP as an exempt item. It is now my "small personal item", with other carry-on limited to jacket plus a small rollaboard compliant with current (N.Am.) size limits. This really limits what one can bring aboard, which I will seriously regret the next time my checked luggage fails to arrive on our flight. However, not having the extra "exempt" carry-on item facilitates moving through airports and onto/off aircraft. Also, I no longer have twinges of guilt about occupying more than my share of the always-inadequate carry-on space!

re extension cord, I will continue to carry one (without surge protection) in my CPAP case. So far, it has not been an issue upon boarding Princess ships, and may be needed in pre- or post-cruise hotels even if not needed aboard ship. And even if it were confiscated somewhere, the cost to replace it would be trivial compared to the convenience of always having it close at hand when needed.

John

Edited by J-D