Shorts in dining room, first night

Tweedy

I'm planning on wearing shorts when I board the Millennium on Friday. They are black, dressy shorts and I wear them to work as they are just above my knees.

My question is would these be acceptable in the main dining room on the first night? I'm just thinking ahead in case my luggage doesn't arrive to the cabin before we leave for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously, you could carry a pair of long pants in your carry on. The first day it's tolerated, due to slow luggage arrival. After that, you'll likely be asked to go back to your room & change. If circumventing the dress code is on your mind(and it sounds like it is)you can always dine in the lido. I'd hate to see this line denigrate to the overall sloppiness I've seen on other lines like Carnival/NCL

Oh my goodness, if one doesn't get their luggage in time for the first night, by all means where what you have on, be it shorts or long pants. All cruise lines that I sail, have a relaxed first night, because of late luggage delivery. If someone doesn't like what you are wearing just ignore them. If someone doesn't think shorts should be worn, then by all means don't wear them yourself, but your likes and dislikes shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself. I've never had a dinner impacted by what someone is wearing and if anyone does think it impacts their dinner, maybe it is best that they sit in their cabin and order room service, because you will never be satisified 100% with what others are wearing and will probably have a lousy dinner.

Yes, why of course! Nothing like being on the QM2 some years back being dressed properly to the night's formal attire & then seeing some schlub dressed in skanky shorts & wife beater T shirt. Did it bother me? You bet your !@# it did! I didn't pay good money to see pax look like that. I did complain to the Maître D, who had the person leave. We never saw him again anywhere! At well over 6'-5" it's hard NOT to miss someone like that.

No issue with wearing shorts on first or last night in MDR. We seldom get our luggage (or check back to the cabin) what with muster & roll call events. It's a casual evening

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread reminds me of 2 years ago when we didn't see one of these big bags for 3 days and the other for 5! Due to carry on limits you can see the size of my hand baggage. No room in there for full evening attire. Due to airport security, no toiletries either. [emoji853]79b7ccce6d686a8e677e0d7f00751ce1.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

I love it when there are lots of men wearing shorts on the airplane because I know it improves our chances of getting an upgrade.;)

Why does men wearing shorts on a plane have any affect on you getting a upgrade on a cruise?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We were on the Equinox for the Jazz Cruise and in AQ.

We just got back to the ship after a long day at the Jazz Fest. It was after 8:30 when we got back on the ship, we were wearing shorts and Tee shirts. Full of sunscreen, sweat, and felt like we were covered with dust from the race track where the festival was.

We were hungry and wanted to make sure that we got something to eat before everything was shut down so we decided to go to the buffet. We were walking down deck 5 to the stairs and the hostess from Blu seen us. She was walking in the other direction to get something. She wanted to know why we weren't there that night and we told her. She said that there is still time and was practically begging us to dine there. We told her our situation and condition and she said you guys are fine come on and eat there. We refused as we didn't feel comfortable in the condition we were.

The next day at breakfast she again told us how sad she was that we didn't want to eat there. We thanked her and said that we just wouldn't have felt comfortable and didn't want to impose or be a burden on the staff.

It all depends on the circumstances and a lot of times I think the attitude of the passenger(s).

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Surely you have a carryon bag.

Sorry I check my carry on through once I get to the ship. I don't like to drag it around while I am waiting for our room to be ready, I just carry a purse onboard. So if my luggage doesn't make it to my cabin before dinner I show up in what I wore on board.

Just to give an update... we returned yesterday from our cruise. In our welcome Celebrity Today on the first day, it specifically stated that the dress code would not be followed on the first night. I felt quite comfortable in my shorts and no one looked at me sideways.

However, I will comment that I did see someone enter the dining room on Chic Night wearing extremely short denim shorts (the style you would wear to the beach) and they didn't question her. I guess everything depends on who works the door.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love it when there are lots of men wearing shorts on the airplane because I know it improves our chances of getting an upgrade.;)
Why does it improve your chances of an upgrade? I've flown with people in shorts in all cabin classes. Upgrades at the airport are based on frequent flyer status firstly and so there could be someone who qualifies for an upgrade who is wearing shorts.

Why does it improve your chances of an upgrade? I've flown with people in shorts in all cabin classes. Upgrades at the airport are based on frequent flyer status firstly and so there could be someone who qualifies for an upgrade who is wearing shorts.

Did you happen to notice the winking emoji?

Sorry I check my carry on through once I get to the ship. I don't like to drag it around while I am waiting for our room to be ready, I just carry a purse onboard. So if my luggage doesn't make it to my cabin before dinner I show up in what I wore on board.

Please don't send your carry on through Celebrity luggage. You are instructed to always keep essentials with you, for example, electronics, medicines, toiletries, camera, as these are highly pilferable items. We also put extra underwear, change of clothes and books in our carry on. We are always ready for late arrival of luggage. With extra underwear, toiletries, prescription Meds and electronics, we are not as concerned about luggage. It is also nice to unpack the essentials in your cabin as soon as it is ready.

Please don't send your carry on through Celebrity luggage. You are instructed to always keep essentials with you, for example, electronics, medicines, toiletries, camera, as these are highly pilferable items. We also put extra underwear, change of clothes and books in our carry on. We are always ready for late arrival of luggage. With extra underwear, toiletries, prescription Meds and electronics, we are not as concerned about luggage. It is also nice to unpack the essentials in your cabin as soon as it is ready.

My meds and electronics fit into my purse:) Have not had a problem doing this in over 30 cruises. My husband carries on his cpap machine, this is the most essential item in keeping a happy marriage.

I agree!