Shorts in dining room, first night

Tweedy

The following link, posted by ChicagoPaul who is currently sailing on the Equinox, shows a copy of the last page of Celebrity Today on embarkation day. Note the final sentence on the bottom right of the page:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d10dc48122.jpg

As I said before, Celebrity understands the luggage delivery situation amd relaxes their dress policies on the evening of embarkation day.

Interesting, never saw that before, wonder why the luggage delivery was delayed and is this something that occurs on every cruise.

We just returned from Equinox. We saw men wearing shorts on every night of the cruise in MDR! Even on "Chic Nights"

Really surprised that they don't have any policy anymore.

When we were on the Equinox in Nov I saw males in shorts turned away twice from the MDR. One of the occasions it was a preppy young man of about 14 in a pair of nice dress shorts and a button down shirt (think Vineyard Vines). He looked far better than the gentleman at the next table that wore a photographer's (or fishing) vest every night.

When we were on the Equinox in Nov I saw males in shorts turned away twice from the MDR. One of the occasions it was a preppy young man of about 14 in a pair of nice dress shorts and a button down shirt (think Vineyard Vines). He looked far better than the gentleman at the next table that wore a photographer's (or fishing) vest every night.

Not so anymore. We saw guys in shorts every night in MDR! In select dining

We come from a cold climate. I travel in a pair of dockers that have zip off legs. As soon as I am in the airport, I zip the legs off and they store nicely in my carry-on. If my luggage doesnt arrive before dinner, I zip the pant legs back on and hit the MDR.

We were on Equinox in June and August. Saw both men and women in shorts in Select Dining every night. Including Evening Chic night. Saw ladies in cut off jean shorts. I was surprised. Don't know if it's an experiment on Equinox as it's her first summer in the Caribbean...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a few pair of convertible pants that I wear and take on cruises. The legs zip off and can be stored in the cargo pockets

I will wear them the first day when sailing out of FL as long pants in the AM and take the legs off later in the day as it gets too hot and wear them as shorts.

I went into the Blu wearing them as shorts one night just to see if I got stopped. I was told that short pants weren't acceptable and I would have to change to long pants. I pulled out the legs and attached them. Same pants just longer and was now dressed per dress code.

I said to my wife after being seated that I should remove the legs to see if anyone really noticed and if it would ruin anyone dining experience. Her reply as expected "Why do you want to cause trouble."

The whole purpose of my post is buy some convertible pants that serve two purposes and can save some luggage weigh.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I wear shorts to board the ship and I don't take long pants in my carry on. So, if luggage doesn't arrive I'd be wearing the shorts to dinner and not think twice about it.

Some people have issues as you can tell. Shorts to dinner on the first night in definitely a first world problem!

enjoy your cruise

I wear shorts to board the ship and I don't take long pants in my carry on. So, if luggage doesn't arrive I'd be wearing the shorts to dinner and not think twice about it.

Some people have issues as you can tell. Shorts to dinner on the first night in definitely a first world problem!

enjoy your cruise

Agee 100%

The only reason that I am ticked off or mad on a formal night or now called chic is that I had to get dressed up and the person next to me is wearing comfortable clothing.

Back when they had formal night I wore a suit to dine in. Removed my jacket when I sat down as I was too hot and loosen up my tie. Immediately after dinner I went back to the cabin and changed into something comforatable. Never could figure out the reason to sit in the theater in a dark area wearing a suit.

The other is if you didn't want to conform to the dress code you dined in the buffet or had room service. So here I am dressed up in a suit, not comfortable sitting next to someone in shorts and a tee shirt at a bar. That is what makes me mad. Why does that person get to dress like they do when I am not able to because of where I dined?

So after dinner I change into different clothes. The show looked the same except I was comfortable and the drinks still tasted the same even though I wasn't "properly dressed" and the person next to me in shorts and football jersey didn't care how I was dressed. He was more concerned about our rivalry and why they were better. Go Green.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I just prefer to go the buffet and not have the fashion police looking me up and down. I believe in following all rules and will dress when going to MDR. I'm not a fancy dresser at any time thats why I prefer to go to the buffet. Like most have said shorts on the first night should be ok.

• Like 1

First night, no worries, go for it

Our luggage was late and DH wore shorts on the Millie in Aqua dining room. One lady lit into him in the elevator and in the Aqua dining room he was politely told not to repeat the shorts. All this due to our luggage being delivered late in Shanghai!!! This does not make for a good feeling...He was not so much bothered by the pretentious guest on the elevator but I was. The staff handled it well. It was not our fault but we were blamed. We were the very first group to arrive at the terminal and our suitcases were apparently on the bottom on the stack.

Our luggage was late and DH wore shorts on the Millie in Aqua dining room. One lady lit into him in the elevator and in the Aqua dining room he was politely told not to repeat the shorts. All this due to our luggage being delivered late in Shanghai!!! This does not make for a good feeling...He was not so much bothered by the pretentious guest on the elevator but I was. The staff handled it well. It was not our fault but we were blamed. We were the very first group to arrive at the terminal and our suitcases were apparently on the bottom on the stack.

You are a lot nicer than me. I would have told the so called pretentious guest (again you're a lot nicer than me) to...off!!!!!! You can use whatever word you want that off works with. :evilsmile: Agree, totally acceptable comment by a member of the ADR staff.

Edited by davekathy

I'm planning on wearing shorts when I board the Millennium on Friday. They are black, dressy shorts and I wear them to work as they are just above my knees.

My question is would these be acceptable in the main dining room on the first night? I'm just thinking ahead in case my luggage doesn't arrive to the cabin before we leave for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First night is fine. Anything after, no.

Our luggage was late and DH wore shorts on the Millie in Aqua dining room. One lady lit into him in the elevator and in the Aqua dining room he was politely told not to repeat the shorts.

What was her problem? You were on a elevator and could have been going anywhere. Doesn't make any sense.

We were the very first group to arrive at the terminal and our suitcases were apparently on the bottom on the stack.

First in, last out. Or whoever is first shall be last.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

In all the years I've been sailing with Celebrity I've never heard another guest "light into" someone about what they were wearing. Can't imagine someone doing that especially in an elevator when they would have absolutely no idea where someone is going.:confused:

I've cruised enough to be Elite and can honestly say that I have never seen shorts in the dining room on either the first or last night of a cruise. Surely you have a carryon bag. No, due to the carry on restrictions on many European low cost carriers which we use to/from Rome (these are the only direct options), this isn't a practical solution. Maybe where you come from you can lug a full cabin sized carry on bag onto the plane, in many cases we can't.

There is no reason to wear shorts unless you are tying to make a statement.

If you have no bags at all between you even though you cross packed and arrived one day before sailing, there's not much you can do. And trust me in a town like Civitavecchia there's not a lot of clothes shopping opportunities, we tried for 3 hours!

So the statement I'd have been making would be 'the airline lost my bags' so this is it. Oh and BTW what does being Elite level have to do with it? It can happen to anyone.

enjoy your cruise

Well said.

I have been on 36 Celebrity cruises. Only time I have seen grown men wearing shorts in the MDR at night are the first and last nights.

I have seen men refused entry due to shorts other nights.

I have seen waiters tell men they cannot wear baseball caps at the table.

You would think if one books a nice vacation on a cruise, they would have sense enough to dress appropriately. Perhaps not on Carnival lol, but any other line. It's just standard protocol that you and I understand. [emoji16]

You would think if one books a nice vacation on a cruise, they would have sense enough to dress appropriately. Perhaps not on Carnival lol, but any other line. It's just standard protocol that you and I understand. [emoji16]

Actually on my one and only carnival cruise (doesn't mean there won't be more) people dressed better on the first night than I've sometimes witnessed over 13 years of sailing on RCI. Just saying.

Remember this thread is only about first night. And we'd have loved to have dressed appropriately, but not even having yours bags on the ship somewhat restricts your clothing options.

Sent from Tapatalk

enjoy your cruise

This whole thing is a non-issue. Celebrity has relaxed dress suggestions on the first night so if they don't care why should we? If you think about it, only a minority of the people in the MDR will actually know if you are wearing shorts. And of that minority, only a minority will have a negative reaction to you wearing shorts. And of that minority, only a minority will have a reaction so negative that it ruins their cruise and they refuse to speak to you for the rest of the cruise.

So it's only a minority of a minority or a minority that we are talking about here. And frankly the fact that they won't talk to you for the rest of the cruise might be considered the bonus you earned for having your luggage delivered late. :)

Actually on my one and only carnival cruise (doesn't mean there won't be more) people dressed better on the first night than I've sometimes witnessed over 13 years of sailing on RCI. Just saying.

Remember this thread is only about first night. And we'd have loved to have dressed appropriately, but not even having yours bags on the ship somewhat restricts your clothing options.

Sent from Tapatalk

I've got 2 post I'm subscribed to for the same issue of shorts in MDR. Getting confusing. However, in an earlier response, I did mention 1st night, is ok.

If you have no bags at all between you even though you cross packed and arrived one day before sailing, there's not much you can do. And trust me in a town like Civitavecchia there's not a lot of clothes shopping opportunities, we tried for 3 hours!

So the statement I'd have been making would be 'the airline lost my bags' so this is it. Oh and BTW what does being Elite level have to do with it? It can happen to anyone.

I said that in reference to the fact I've never seen shorts in the dining room the first night and that I have been on ENOUGH cruises - meaning I'm not saying I haven't seen it once or twice. I haven't seen it in several cruises.

If you have no carry on - then I would be wearing a passable outfit to fly in. I personally would never feel comfortable for either myself or my DH to wear shorts to the dining room. My personal preference and your milage may vary.

Oh my goodness, if one doesn't get their luggage in time for the first night, by all means where what you have on, be it shorts or long pants. All cruise lines that I sail, have a relaxed first night, because of late luggage delivery. If someone doesn't like what you are wearing just ignore them. If someone doesn't think shorts should be worn, then by all means don't wear them yourself, but your likes and dislikes shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself. I've never had a dinner impacted by what someone is wearing and if anyone does think it impacts their dinner, maybe it is best that they sit in their cabin and order room service, because you will never be satisified 100% with what others are wearing and will probably have a lousy dinner.

Oh my goodness, if one doesn't get their luggage in time for the first night, by all means where what you have on, be it shorts or long pants. All cruise lines that I sail, have a relaxed first night, because of late luggage delivery. If someone doesn't like what you are wearing just ignore them. If someone doesn't think shorts should be worn, then by all means don't wear them yourself, but your likes and dislikes shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself. I've never had a dinner impacted by what someone is wearing and if anyone does think it impacts their dinner, maybe it is best that they sit in their cabin and order room service, because you will never be satisified 100% with what others are wearing and will probably have a lousy dinner.

Exactly.