Butterfly Farm Excurion in St Maarten, anyone do it?

If so, what were your thoughts? Thinking of doing this one with the little.

Is Royal offering it now? I've heard of people stopping there on Bernard's tour. I'm betting it would be a better value and more fun with Bernard's. I"ll shut up now and see what others have to say.

If so, what were your thoughts? Thinking of doing this one with the little.

I went to the butterfly farm about 3 years ago, while cruising NCL. I bet it's the same excursion even though it was a different cruise line. We all enjoyed it very much. The guide at the site was low-key and very knowledgeable. She arranged it so each of us could have a butterfly sitting on our head or our arm for a few minutes. There were many beautiful butterflies and beautiful plants, as well as a little butterfly "nursery." The site is outdoors, with a wire enclosure.

They give away a little punch at the end(can't remember if it was alcoholic or not) and they had a very nice gift shop.

The guide in the bus (or perhaps the bus driver?) gave an interesting commentary about St. Maarten during the bus ride (which was about a half hour?), about the French side vs the Dutch side of the island, about the history, about what we were seeing as we drove. I really appreciated the chance to get out into the country-side.

I believe there is another forum on Cruise Critic that covers ports and shore excursions. You may find more information there.

Carola

We did it on Celebrity about 2 years ago. We had another excursion to the French side book that was canceled so this is what we switched to at the last minute because it had time in Marigot. It was a nice tour of the island with a knowledgeable guide. The butterfly farm was OK, large netted area like you may have seen at a temporary museum exhibit. The stop in Marigot was about 45 minutes so not much time there. Good choice for an overall tour of both sides of the island but we had wanted more time in Marigot (as we originally booked) so we were a little disappointed with that.

Thanks but I am leaving in 12 days ;)

Who is bernard?

Bernard has a wonderful tour ... we used him many years ago, when he was just starting out with a different company --- here's a link to his website. http://www.bernardstours.com/

PS - If you think about it post when you get back and let us know what you think of the butterfly farm. Jan

If I'm looking at it correctly the butterfly farm isn't listed on the two main tour packages. Will have to find out more about the butterfly farm, sounds really neat.

on that guys page? Yea it isn't offered. the RCCL shore excursion says it has shopping stops and a visit here. wondering if we should do this with the little

I went there with my grandkids and we all loved it. Didn't do it as part of a tour or excursion, though. We just rented a car and drove around the island on our own and that's one of the places we stopped. It's one of the more drive-able Caribbean islands and is easy to get around.

I do remember the Butterfly Farm got very hot, however, since all the plants and bushes block the breeze. But the butterflies are beautiful.

I went there with my grandkids and we all loved it. Didn't do it as part of a tour or excursion, though. We just rented a car and drove around the island on our own and that's one of the places we stopped. It's one of the more drive-able Caribbean islands and is easy to get around.

I do remember the Butterfly Farm got very hot, however, since all the plants and bushes block the breeze. But the butterflies are beautiful.

Yea, hubby will not go for that at all. He won't do anything that could risk us not getting back in time if something happens. He will only do things through the cruise line so if something happens, they will wait for us. :rolleyes:

on that guys page? Yea it isn't offered. the RCCL shore excursion says it has shopping stops and a visit here. wondering if we should do this with the little

We did it through a Royal ship several yrs ago. We enjoyed it and it was very interesting. We did stop on the French side for a little while to shop. It was nice. I probably wouldn't do it again. I would take a different tour, but I think you would enjoy it.

Gwen :D

We ended up there the very same way as you. I thought it was a very enjoyable stop.