Canadians beware !! Do not book Oceania with their Canadian dollar pricing .

Cruise it up

Hello fellow Canadians. I have recently found that I am only getting Canadian dollar pricing when searching Oceania website online in Canada. Currently Oceania Cruises is pricing their Canadian dollar cruises prices with a 1.34 US/Cdn$ exchange rate. Current actual exchange rate is 1.25 - 9% more !!!! You can get and pay in $US if you ask Oceania (also so can your travel agent).

I really like Oceania overall BUT a lot of their pricing is really gotton out of line. ie: excursions, wine onboard, transfers etc. I recently returned from a 12 day cruise on the Sirena. Their price for transfer from the ship to the airport (in Bilboa Spain) was $87US per person. I arrange a private taxi for 36 euros ($42US) for 2 people. Bring your own wine and pay the $25 corkage etc. etc.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Cheers from Toronto

well DUH

Big discussions here already on their new website for Canadians

The time to research transfers etc is BEFORE you go

Why would anyone book a transfer from the cruise line

when private transport or taxis are so much cheaper

Why would anyone book a transfer from the cruise line when private transport or taxis are so much cheaper

We always book a transfer to/from the airport through the cruise line because we enjoy the convenience and don't really mind paying a few extra dollars for the service, especially when an unfamiliar airport is involved.

We also pre-book excursions through the cruise line for a variety of reasons, but mostly because we know the ship won't leave if for some reason something happens and our tour doesn't get back on time. Also, if we experience an issue on the excursion, we can express our concerns back on ship. As far as higher prices go, again, paying a little extra for the convenience is worth it to us.

Also, I have always wondered what happens if you prepay for a private excursion and for what ever reason the ship bypasses the port, do you get your money back?

Also, I have always wondered what happens if you prepay for a private excursion and for what ever reason the ship bypasses the port, do you get your money back?

OT but briefly, yes and no.

All the operators I've used or participated on other's tours have refunded. That was one of many reasons for choosing them. As professionals the monitor ship location and sea conditions. They know if you'll be missing a port or arriving late or tendering nearby so must change pickup location. I do understand the hardship cancellations can mean so will accept less than full refund on virtually no notice. I notice more common now no refund if less than X hours/days notice. I think bought about due to consolidators or other "middleman" sites. I generally avoid them. As too much trade goes their way the guides sign with them and lose control and we lose personal connections. Like damage from powerful airbb. sorry, off on a tangent again. Step away from the keyboard.

I can tell you for sure if you book a private excursion and the ship bypasses the port, you DO NOT get your money back UNLESS YOU INSURE THAT EXCURSION PRIVATELY. Read your cruise contract. I can tell you from personal experience. NO.

Good point about insurance, Caroldoll. I always insure , mainly to get full out if country medical coverage. All in plans are priced better, easier to qualify than medical only so get the fill meal deal. Hadn't thought of claiming a missed excursion as not had to , knock knock, but would be covered with mine.

And thanks Cruise it up for starting the thread. There have been others but dien the list mow so good o keep this info current. A knowledgeable local TA is helpful for this type of localized info. A foreign based agency *might* not be aware of the current status

With private guides you have to check with them some will refund in full some 50% & some you pay at the time of the tour

Do your research before booking them

We usually take private tours & NEVER in all my cruises have been left at the port or come close to missing the ship

As for transfers ....O charges upwards of $300 for 2 from MIA to POM

A taxi is $27 for up to 4

yes you can pay extra for convenience but seriously how hard is it to take your bags to the taxi stand then a 20 min ride to the port

The driver puts your bags in the car, takes them out & gives them to a porter

with O you still take your bags to the bus

I can think of better things to spend $300 on

YMMV

With private guides you have to check with them some will refund in full some 50% & some you pay at the time of the tour

We usually take private tours & NEVER in all my cruises have been left at the port or come close to missing the ship

yes you can pay extra for convenience but seriously how hard is it to take your bags to the taxi stand then a 20 min ride to the port

YMMV

Or, if you don't trust taxis, you can pre-book a private airport/port transfer company. They will meet you with a sign outside of the baggage area, help you roll your bags to their very conveniently located parking spot and drive you to your airport/hotel/port. All for much less than Oceania, and, it you have more than two travelers, it is even cheaper, whereas Oceania charges by the person.

YMMV

Not sure where you are getting your figures from. We just paid $118 for the two of us ($59 per person) for a ship to airport transfer from the Port of Miami to the Miami airport. Yes, it's more than a taxi ride even if you include a $10 tip. However, for us it's one less thing to stress over before and after the cruise.

As far as a private excursion not getting back to the ship on time or not getting your money refunded if stuff happens and you miss the excursion all together, I'm glad you have not had that misfortune. With regards to planning a private excursion, yes, we sometimes do that when we are arriving a day early and if the cruise line doesn't offer some sort of pre-cruise land package. But then again once we're on the cruise, we have all of our excursions booked through the cruise line.

Again, FOR US, it's just one last thing to stress over when planning the perfect cruise. As you might notice a pattern here, "low stress" is our goal when planning our cruise and spending a few extra bucks to achieve it is fine with us. But, for others who like to be more adventurous, in control of their own destiny when they are off the ship as well as save a few extra bucks, we applaud your efforts and hope you too are able to plan that perfect cruise.

Not sure where you are getting your figures from. We just paid $118 for the two of us ($59 per person) for a ship to airport transfer from the Port of Miami to the Miami airport. Yes, it's more than a taxi ride even if you include a $10 tip. However, for us it's one less thing to stress over before and after the cruise.

Sorry My mistake I must have been thinking of a different port

You are a very generous tipper

As far as a private excursion not getting back to the ship on time or not getting your money refunded if stuff happens and you miss the excursion all together, I'm glad you have not had that misfortune.

I do not recall saying I never had problem with guides & getting my money back

I have....the ship missed the port & I had a group of 11 booked

I pre paid in full which was close to $1000.

The guide kept 50% & I claimed the balance on trip insurance

everyone got their full refund from me

With regards to planning a private excursion, yes, we sometimes do that when we are arriving a day early and if the cruise line doesn't offer some sort of pre-cruise land package. But then again once we're on the cruise, we have all of our excursions booked through the cruise line.

Again, FOR US, it's just one last thing to stress over when planning the perfect cruise. As you might notice a pattern here, "low stress" is our goal when planning our cruise and spending a few extra bucks to achieve it is fine with us. But, for others who like to be more adventurous, in control of their own destiny when they are off the ship as well as save a few extra bucks, we applaud your efforts and hope you too are able to plan that perfect cruise.

Yes everyone has to do what works best for THEM

as always

YMMV

I do not recall saying I never had problem with guides & getting my money back

I have....the ship missed the port & I had a group of 11 booked

I pre paid in full which was close to $1000.

The guide kept 50% & I claimed the balance on trip insurance

everyone got their full refund from me

Just curious, are you a travel agent?

She is not.

But what does that have to do with anything?

You prefer ship's tours. You aren't alone. Some people will ONLY do private tours. And others, like us, do a mixture of both.

For the record, I have never lost a deposit because of a missed port and I am NOT a travel agent. But I read the rules carefully. Many guides don't even require a deposit.

Edited by Mura

She is not.

But what does that have to do with anything?

You prefer ship's tours. You aren't alone. Some people will ONLY do private tours. And others, like us, do a mixture of both.

For the record, I have never lost a deposit because of a missed port and I am NOT a travel agent. But I read the rules carefully. Many guides don't even require a deposit.

No real reason. I was just curious based on the quoted response she gave me with regards to giving everyone a full refund while the tour guide kept 50% of the total fee.

No real reason. I was just curious based on the quoted response she gave me with regards to giving everyone a full refund while the tour guide kept 50% of the total fee.

The tour guide refunded me 50 % my trip insurance refunded me the other 50%

I gave people back their total fee that they gave me for the tour

Just to complicate matters we had to leave the ship early before the missed port so had to contact everyone & mail their refunds to them

Lyn

Just to complicate matters we had to leave the ship early before the missed port so had to contact everyone & mail their refunds to them

Lyn

The only reason I was curious is because I thought you had some sort of business insurance as you were able to get the other 50% of the excursion fee for all the folks on the excursion from your insurance company. I would have thought you would only get reimbursed for the fees associated with the individuals on your policy. But if travel insurance covers a percentage of the excursion fees you personally book, irregardless of whether it's for 1 or 11, that's good to know for future reference the next time we go on a family cruise.

However since every policy is different, we'll definitely make sure to verify that with our insurance company before we go on our next family cruise and pay the total bill for any private family excursions we might book off ship.

The only reason I was curious is because I thought you had some sort of business insurance as you were able to get the other 50% of the excursion fee for all the folks on the excursion from your insurance company. I would have thought you would only get reimbursed for the fees associated with the individuals on your policy. But if travel insurance covers a percentage of the excursion fees you personally book, irregardless of whether it's for 1 or 11, that's good to know for future reference the next time we go on a family cruise.

However since every policy is different, we'll definitely make sure to verify that with our insurance company before we go on our next family cruise and pay the total bill for any private family excursions we might book off ship.

The full amount went on my CC so the insurance took it as MY tour price

I am guessing in any case I would confirm with your insurance if tours are covered

wow i always book private tours, transfers etc and have either not had to pay a dime before or a small deposit that they said was refundable or mostly. most of the tours i have booked in europe we paid cash after the tour was ended:D and those were far cheaper, smaller van compared to bus and saw 2 or 3 times what the ships tours offered. so win win. so far so good....

Lyn

And Lyn, those of us in your little pre-arranged tour group remain so appreciative of your hard work and time invested in getting all of us our money back from the tour we missed in Wales..at the same time you were dealing with a family health matter that caused you to leave the ship early.

Ed

And Lyn, those of us in your little pre-arranged tour group remain so appreciative of your hard work and time invested in getting all of us our money back from the tour we missed in Wales..at the same time you were dealing with a family health matter that caused you to leave the ship early.

Ed

It was a comedy of errors but everyone was understanding about the situation

Thank you

Lyn